9 months pregnant, one month into the battle - advice

(3 posts)
  1. stopbuggingme82

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Apr 12 2018 12:09:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you to all who contribute to the site, it has been helpful to read others stories in this process.

I am 37 weeks pregnant, so my baby could arrive any time now and these bugs are causing a lot of anxiety at a time I really want to be preparing for baby (all baby things remain in storage to avoid possible infestation).

A history of the treatment we've had thus far:
    Service with Temprid by PCO A
    Service with Temprid by PCO A (different technician, my husband was home and didn't direct him at all not knowing he needed to)
    Service with PI aerosol and Demand CS by PCO A (again another technician, though I was home and walked the house with him)

These were all a week apart, and after another week and a half and still getting bites and seeing live bugs I called another PCO. My husband during this time was having an allergic reaction to the final treatment, using his rescue inhaler regularly when home, feeling generally lethargic when home, with itchy and red palms developing over time. Although the PCO offered to spray a fourth time, I had warned them of my son (4 Years old) and husbands asthma, and also my own chemical sensitivities (I had terrible headaches with the first two treatments but was okay with the third). The PI aerosol was a terrible choice for a family with asthma and allergies I later learned, and the company never responded to my concerns about symptoms or the fact that I was still seeing bugs marching around.

Enter PCO B, they came to give us a heat treatment quote and within minutes found the nest the previous PCO never found, in our window above the bed (the treatments were all centered around baseboards, we have a lot of floor cracks and this was the area of focus along with our mattresses). He could find no traces of bugs in the front of our house where the guest and kids rooms are, but we had been treating the whole house anyway as there's a lot of musical beds in the night as my four year old is fond of waking around 3-4am every night. Both PCO's said the infestation seemed small, but identified fecal stains, saved bugs, etc. We went ahead and had the heat treatment plus a final light spraying of Crossfire and dusting in the walls and outlets and windows 5 days ago. Our first night back after the heat treatment (we stayed in a hotel as this company said for anyone with children, sensitivities, asthma, pregnant they ask them to leave for 24 hours after spraying, we were all of these) I felt hopeful that we may have finally knocked them out. The next morning I found two possible blood smears on the sheets, the problem was the sheets had been put on upside down and my memory of all the spots and stains wasn't so clear. So, i went out and bought a fresh set of white sheets to hopefully put my mind at ease. Yesterday with fresh sheets I noticed a possible fecal stain, not like the ink pen absorbed into the sheet, but a small black/brown soft ball that smeared when pressed. Then last night no stains or evidence, but I did notice what looks like two bites on my arm. Also two hard, perhaps eggs (though I feel totally not confident in IDing eggs).

PCO B has a 12 month guarantee, but I only have a little bit of time to figure out what to do from here as I desperately want these bugs gone in time for baby. If they aren't I feel we'll have to rent a place for a few weeks as I can't sleep and am so anxious at home. I would feel terrible if my newborn were bitten (and he/she will be in our room). I have thought to move up near the other kids room in our guest room, but that is where my mom was supposed to stay and I don't want to risk moving them there. The PCO said they were likely attracted to us over the kids as we produce more CO2. Also, the layout of the house is such that our bedroom is separated, one has to walk by two bathrooms, through the dining and kitchen to get to the other bedrooms.

We live in a single family dwelling, old, about 1800 sq ft, with many hiding places I am sure (which is why I didn't go with the heat to begin with, I felt all the crevices would be difficult to heat/find). I believe our infestation began with a trip my husband took, either in his hotel room in NJ or spending time with a friend who had BBs on the trip.

Any tips, advice, encouragement, etc would be so appreciated.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Apr 12 2018 12:19:27
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like the heat treatment worked. Don't assume skin irritations are bed bug related. Eggs are possible but the heat would have killed the bug in its egg, if they were eggs at all, they are easily mis-identified.
    A few passive monitors may ease your mind. If you search this site there are several threads that explain how to make your own monitors, or you could just order a few from one of the links over there. ------->
    From what you've posted it doesn't sound like you've seen any live activity, which is a great sign. You could call the PCO back for an inspection if you think that would help relax your anxiety.

3. stopbuggingme82

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Apr 12 2018 18:17:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. What about the possible fecal spots, would something else be dark colored and smear like that on a pillow? Another bug perhaps? I have been opening up the door to air our or room a bit and there's definitely other bugs checking out our room (most of them seem to die, I'm guessing thanks to all the pesticides, but I haven't seen dead BB, just flies, small beetles, caterpillars, etc..). I so hope it's in my head, I could be at peace with my own anxiety, just not sure I can manage another round of treatment and I really want to start unpacking from the ziplocks and start washing onsies and diapers. I'll check with the PCO, unfortunately I put the pillow case with the possible fecal stain in the wash already and it wasn't one of the new ones so I'm not sure I'd be able to tell old from new or even if it has washed out or not.
    The company also advertises a relationship with a third party canine inspection, that is not covered in the treatment however, and at this point I'm not sure if it's reliable enough to justify the additional cost.
    This whole bed bug thing really does a number on your head.....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,318 posts in 46,977 topics over 143 months by 20,731 of 21,005 members. Latest: Lukelucky, motherbuggedfather, anxiouscat