Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

6 treatments since August and still fighting!

(10 posts)
  1. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 7:00:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My apartment has had 6 treatments since August 11th. The first 3 by Orkin (who was very conservative on the treatment) then by a new company that the building management hired that is more "agressive."

The first three treatments were of my unit only. When they contracted the new company, they wanted to inspect some units around mine. Sure enough, there were 2 units clearly infested that did not report! Unfortunately, since I had already had 3 treatments, they only did a light treatment of mine and adjoining units of the bad ones. They did not consider mine a "focal" unit at the time.

Well yesterday, 4 days after the 6th treatment of my apartment, I received one bite! I was told on my prep sheet that after treatment bed bugs can still be active, hide in the walls and come out to feed 4 to 18 days after treatment - this will cause them to become contaminated by the residual insecticide.

I am getting so tired....so so tired of this!

I posted the following under detection and identification of bed bugs last week....it has my time line included. I am in desperate need of moral support.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

I found another bug like this one (see link below) that I requested ID on a couple of weeks ago. I had taken my toiletries bag from under the bathroom sink to store in a plastic bag before my last treatment. I took the bag out to use it the other day and found another bug that looked just like this one.
    http://imgur.com/a/6tlVA

Loubugs didn't give a positive ID for this one because of the quality of the photo. I didn't get a good photo this time either because it was moving and I was afraid it would get away and I squished it.

The other live bed bugs that I have found always had a lighter color on most of its body except for the dark area which is its recent meal...is this correct?

This bug and the one in the link is so dark all over. Is this the way they look as adults?

I am at the end of my rope with this. It has not gotten "really" bad in that I only get a bite every week or so. The building management has been really good and get the PCO in as soon as I have a bite or see a live bug...at first I had orkin and they were giving very conservative treatments I guess so once another unit reported to management, they switched PCOs to one that gives a more agressive treatment and also wants a more complete prep beforehand.

So I had 3 treatments with orkin...2 in august and one in September. Now I have had 2 by the new company and about to have a 3rd....I am so tired of this. Drying everything, inspecting, bagging, worrying, It has been 3 and 1/2 months!!

Here is my timeline:
    Aug 2 - bites that I assumed were hives or mosquito bites
    Aug 7 - more bites - went to the pharmacy to get some cortisone or something for the itch. Pharmacist told me they looked like bed bug bites. Went home and started looking hard around my bed for signs and found signs of infestation on the corner of my boxspring on the outside and a live adult (saved this one for confirmation from the PCO). Building management said that there was a report 2 weeks ago and they had been treated....umm I wonder if I got them from them. I don't know where these units were in relation to mine and the manager wouldn't tell me.
    Aug 11 - 1st treatment Orkin (confirmed infestation in that area)
    Aug 15 - one row of bites (classic 3 in a row)
    Aug 24 - 2nd treatment Orkin (encasements were put on mattress and box spring - the first ones I got were too big but it was all I could find. Orkin brought the right fitting ones. I put climb up interceptors on my bed legs)
    Sept 12 - one bite
    Sept 20 - one row of bites (like above)
    Sept 23 - 3rd treatment by Orkin. Found 3 dead bugs in an interceptor - PCO left the boxspring encasement unzipped...why? I have no idea!
    Sept 26 - found another live bug - just one on my jacket while in the elevator. Notified the building management and they decided to get another company to do some inspecting in neighboring units. They were found in the unit above mine and another beside mine.
    Sept 30 - new company - treatment was done to the other 2 units (focal units they said) and a "preventative", lighter treatment was done to my unit and a few other neighboring units.
    Oct 11 - Bit again! Notified the building management.
    Oct 12 - found live bug on the side of my bed. Notified building management and I asked to be treated again. They said that the other 2 infested units were just treated again on Oct 7 (one week after their first one) so she didn't know when I could be treated again (may have to wait until the other units were due again). They must have had a pretty bad infestation to be treated again so soon after their first one.
    Oct 13 - live bug found on the floor by my bed - full treatment scheduled for the 20th
    Oct 20 - "full" treatment done by the "new company"
    Nov 1 - new group of 3 bites - another treatment scheduled for the 8th.
    Nov 8 - treatment done
    Nov 14 - bit again!

I have been keeping my clothes bagged, washing my bedding regularly, doing about all I can do. I just don't know anymore...
    I moved away to work...my first time away from my hometown in my very own apartment and this is what happens! My mother came to help me take care of things the during the first episode in August.
    I feel like I want to move out of this hell hole! I haven't talked to building management about that option and the prep to move is a whole other conversation. The fact that I am in a bachelor apt and don't own very much stuff is a blessing. I could probably take each individual item that I own and inspect, wash, pack it, unassemble book case, ikea sofa, etc.

So what started as a question about the description of an adult bed bug has turned into a dissertation on my experience since August. It feels somewhat therapeutic though! If anyone has any thoughts, comments, advice please give it....I would welcome it.

2. CleaningToDeath

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 9:09:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I for the life of me don't understand if a landlord/management is notified of a bb infestation that they do not automatically 1- post a note on every unit to do a visual inspection 2- Treat adjoining apartments from the beginning.

Have you checked your wall outlets and wall switches? Or did they use a type dust in those areas? This is where you get the infestations, from either not treating adjoining units, so some will escape from crevices at baseboards, into the walls, and out into the adjoining apartments.

Since they are just now treating adjoining apartments, and you found one in the elevator, what are they doing as far as these common areas? You definitely don't want them hanging around these areas and think like a bed bug, oh boy a pant leg, yippee, here we go for a ride!

In dealing with multiple units did the PCOs advise prior to treatment of a prep sheet, ie. all clothing washed/ dried on highest water temp possible and dried on highest heat possible.

This is only my opinion, but if some tenants think laundry as you are doing (washed and bagged) is not warranted, and feel oh they sprayed is enough, it will be an on going problem.

If you do decide to move, you mentioned taking all the bookcases apart, each item you own, futon to wash. How do you plan on washing these items? Soap and water will not kill any eggs, nymphs, and alcohol is only a contact killer. Books? Futon?

3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 12:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Picture is of a bedbug.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 17:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Cleaningtodeath
    I absolutely agree! I don't understand why they don't notify everyone that there is a "case" of bedbugs and for everyone to do an inspection!!

The new pest control asked that we remove wall outlet covers in the prep. I assume that is so they could apply dust. The prep instructions for the new company were extensive just like I have read about on the forum.

Orkin used to do a common area treatment once a month I was told. I think the one in the elevator came off me...It was on my jacket.

I can only hope that the other units are prepping the same way...I know one is because I saw all their belonging out on their balcony in plastic bags!

I guess as far as moving goes...and unassembling furniture such as my bookcase. I would examine carefully each board, it eggs were found, couldn't I just pick them off and dispose of them? A good wipe down of the boards should remove any tiny bugs, plus wouldn't I see the bugs if they were there? Books I guess would go in a rubbermaid container and I would try to find some of those strips everyone talks about on here (nuvon?) I am not sure if they have those in Canada or not.

Anyway I am just feeling sick...I am thinking ahead to Christmas and travelling home to my folks house. They know what is going on so I am sure my Mom will be on high alert!! Suitcase will stay outside and she will dry all the clothes I brought with me and ziploc bag everything that can't be dried!! Plus make me take a shower and remove the clothes I wore home at the door before it even closes!!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2016 20:52:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Did the PCO inspect every unit attached to yours? Or just some?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 10:32:59
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO inspected the ones on either side of mine, the one below and the one above. They found an infestation (pretty bad one I guess) in the unit above and one unit to the side of his. The ones beside me only had to have a "preventative" treatment.

I was pretty satisfied that this was done and because of that I am hoping that due to the treatments that were applied this will be on the way to being over. I was also worried about the infested units doing their part as far as the prep was involved. I voiced this concern to the building management and they told me that the adjoining units would be inspected and receiving a "light preventative" treatment.

7. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 11:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 14 hours ago  » 
    Did the PCO inspect every unit attached to yours? Or just some?

Nobugsonme.... replied to your question in my last post but forgot to ask - do you think it is a normal occurrance to have a bite a few days after a treatment but on the other hand hopeful that the treatments are being successful at busting my bed bug problem?

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2016 23:18:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not unusual to have a bite after a treatment. But remember skin reactions are typically delayed. Unless you've seen yourself bitten and tested it, you probably don't know if you react in hours, days, or a week or more later.

That said, 6 is a lot of treatments. Since infested neighbors weren't discovered until after treatment 3, let's say you've really had three treatments-- you and the infested neighbors. It should be getting better after each treatment. Bites are a bad way to judge that for the reason noted above and others. Do you have monitors (e.g. Passive monitors) in place? Is the PCO looking or are you looking for new fecal stains and other new visual evidence each time?

Hopefully they are being aggressive in terms of inspecting and treating the known problem apartments. It sounds like they're on top of it-- many landlords won't even inspect neighbors. Hopefully this will be over for you soon.

9. NSBBNewbie

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2016 8:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nobugsonme - the PCO has been inspecting each time he came in. I know there is nothing new in my sheets or bed in terms of fecal stains, etc. The 1st treatment that the new company did was just a preventative one so I have had 2 good ones by them.

I have climb ups on the legs of my bed. I have never found anything in them except for the time orkin sprayed and left my box spring encasement open. He had sprayed inside it and left it open to dry. I found 3 dead bugs in one of the interceptors that day and some moisture from the spray.

Can you advise me on how long after a treatment I can clean my floor, vacuum etc. The prep instructions said not to clean between treatments as to not remove the chemicals. Would 3 weeks be enough I wonder. My place is starting to get pretty dusty I suppose I should continue to keep things bagged up also until we think we are in the clear but what if there may have been a bug in some of the stuff I have bagged? If it gets released it could start the thing all over again Just stating that makes me panic!! OMG

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Nov 20 2016 9:40:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We've always been asked not to clean near the baseboards for two weeks after the last treatment.

Regarding your bags, yes, if there are bugs inside they could be re-released into your home if you open the bags. This is why some PCOs don't recommending bagging everything (just clothes, linens, etc., that can be decontaminated through washing & drying and bagged clean). Their thinking is that bugs that are in your other "stuff" will come out and walk across the poison.

Estimates as to how long stuff needs to be bagged to ensure 100% mortality (by starvation) vary greatly but the longest I've heard mentioned is 18 months.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me