Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

6 months after thermal - wouldn't it be obvious?

(17 posts)
  1. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 3 2013 11:19:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a thermal treatment on Oct. 23, 2012 (the first one in August failed). So it's been more than 6 months. About once a week I'll find some sort of bump or blemish on me and worry that it is a bed bug bite. But we're not seeing any fecal stains. After six months, it would be obvious if the thermal treatment didn't get rid of all the bugs, right? They would have reproduced by now and I would be getting bites almost every night, and there would be a lot of stains in the sheets, correct? It's hard to stop worrying about it because every once in a while I'll get something (like an itchy blister on my foot) and think that the bugs are just kind of hanging around. But from what I understand, if any bugs had survived the thermal treatment, by now we would have lots of bugs and the evidence of them being here would be clear.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. OnceBittenTwiceChi

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 3 2013 12:10:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I know when I am finished with our treatments (non-thermal, for what its worth) I plan to buy a passive monitor. I researched them yesterday after reading about them on the site, and they seem like a good invention for peace of mind about knowing. Sounds a lot more appealing then waiting for a bite and wondering if every lump or bump is a bed bug! Plus, if the bugs do enter the monitor, you can discard it (safely and carefully of course) and know you've at least gotten rid of at least some of them.

I stress about everything, and waking up with bites is no fun, even though I know with treatment it'll be done soon. So I sympathize with this being something preoccupying you! Its like there's life pre and post bed bug. Maybe check out the passive monitors and see if that's something you could use to be sure. Good luck!

3. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 3 2013 14:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

Any professionals out there, would love to get your thoughts.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 3 2013 23:11:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Dchelp - 8 hours ago  » 
    Thanks.
    Any professionals out there, would love to get your thoughts.

Just a question which may help experts respond: before thermal treatment, how did you confirm you had bed bugs present? Was a bed bug (or other evidence) found and who identified it?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 4 2013 5:10:39
    #

Login to Send PM

The company that did the treatment (Connor's) in DC found a live bug when they came to inspect. This was in October after a first failed thermal treatment in August. I had a very large infestation that I got from a moving truck.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 4 2013 11:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Did Connor's do the first treatment in August (the one you said failed) also?

How do you know you for sure that you got them from a moving truck?

Is it theoretically possible you got them from another source, which may be ongoing?

Do you have attached neighbors?

7. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 4 2013 15:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

No, Connor's did not do the first treatment. It was a different company.

It was definitely from the moving truck. I lived in my apartment for 3 weeks without any furniture when I first moved in. Then all of our stuff was brought by professional movers and a day after our stuff arrived I started to get attacked. Within 4 days I was completely covered in itchy welts from the bites.

So it's not an issue of them coming from a neighbor. Basically I just want to know that if any bugs survived a heat treatment in October, after six months they would have definitely reproduced by now and we would be seeing lots of stains in the sheets and I would be getting a lot of bites.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 4 2013 18:00:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, bed bugs bite at least once a week each.

If you are getting one single bite a week, it's theoretically possible that you have one bed bug which is not able to reproduce (it's a male or it's a female that was not an adult or not an inseminated adult when it survived). So you might not have lots of bed bugs now.

But you would have a bed bug which had bitten at least 4x a month x 6 months, and which had therefore pooped 24 times. If a close search was done, there should be evidence of fecal stains.

9. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 4 2013 19:57:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

I read on the forum somewhere that people have experienced the bugs going away in the winter and then coming back in the summer. Is there any evidence that they wait until hot weather to reproduce? So they are just kind of hanging on during the winter and then when it gets hot they start reproducing again? Does bedroom temp. make any kind of difference? In the winter our bedroom was about 65-70 degrees, and in the summer it 's probably closer to 80-85 during the day.

Thanks again for the advice.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 1:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

If bed bugs are present, they will bite year round. The temperatures you describe would be perfectly fine for bed bugs.

David Cain has suggested people may react to bed bug bites more in warm weather.

They also reproduce more quickly in warmer temperatures so will seem more "active" in summer, but they certainly do keep biting year round.

If something was truly going away completely and coming back the next summer, I would suspect another bug or another cause was responsible.

11. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 5:12:51
    #

Login to Send PM

But they definitely still reproduce in the winter, correct? After 6 months some eggs would have been lain and then those nymphs would have grown into adults and produced more eggs, no?

12. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 16:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Possibly however, to reach maturity each bed bug nymph MUST feed in roder to develop, and molt, to the next stage of development. Aand, as each goes through five instars to reach adulthood that's at least five bites each.

As such, we'd expect that there'd be a number of bites going on as the bed bugs mature over time and additional bites if these bed bugs were actively breeding and producing young at your place.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 17:49:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Dchelp - 12 hours ago  » 
    But they definitely still reproduce in the winter, correct? After 6 months some eggs would have been lain and then those nymphs would have grown into adults and produced more eggs, no?

They do reproduce in winter if they can reproduce.

Please re-read this message above where I talk about the possibility of having just one bed bug which isn't reproducing.

I'm not saying that's your situation, but from a biological perspective, you can have one bed bug which doesn't reproduce.

14. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 17:56:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Right, so there is the possibility there is one bug that can't reproduce.

But is there any evidence out there that bed bugs that can reproduce wait until hot weather to so? After the thermal treatment, if any bugs that are capable of reproducing survived they would have reproduced within the last six months, and then those nymphs would have turned into adults and reproduced again, right?

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun May 5 2013 18:07:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Dchelp - 9 minutes ago  » 
    Right, so there is the possibility there is one bug that can't reproduce.
    But is there any evidence out there that bed bugs that can reproduce wait until hot weather to so?

No. The temperatures you described (65-70F in winter) would be fine for reproduction. They may reproduce much faster in summer but they're not stopping in your bedroom temps in winter.

Usinger's Monograph of Cimicidae says, "The threshold for hatching, nymphal development, and adult activity is between 13C and 15C [55F-59F]" (page 10). They can of course survive lower temperatures, but not for as long. Usinger notes that the total period of development at 18C (64F) is 127.9 days and it's 36.6 days at 91F (33C), so that gives you some idea of how much slower they multiply at cooler temperatures.

After the thermal treatment, if any bugs that are capable of reproducing survived they would have reproduced within the last six months, and then those nymphs would have turned into adults and reproduced again, right?

Yes, you'd expect to see multiplication in six months if there were a mating pair present or an inseminated female. See above.

16. Dchelp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon May 6 2013 15:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 7 2013 3:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Dchelp - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

You're welcome!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982