55 Day Rule Questions

(3 posts)
  1. BuggyinLA

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2009 4:13:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The situation: We have a 30-day guarantee from our thermal company -- and a new apartment awaiting our move-in by Dec. 1 that's in a different building with our same management group. Our landlord would really like us to start moving IMMEDIATELY. (He doesn't particularly understand bed bugs despite our best efforts.)

Questions:

(1) My partner and I are both "responders" at this point. I wasn't getting a reaction to the bites, but now I develop large, red welts just like she does. This will hopefully alert us to any live bugs (so long as we can pinpoint if the problem is the apartment, work or the car), right?

(2) Does the 55 day rule apply with thermal? We don't have anything bagged, because that's not part of the thermal treatment process. We live in a studio apartment, so literally everything was/is suspect.

2. Bugbitten Meg

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2009 17:06:48
    #

Login to Send PM

After a thermal that misses by just a hair, you won't have any immediate bites, (all of the bugs died OK) but within two weeks, you get a bite, or maybe more... because any live eggs have just hatched.

It does help a lot for detection that everyone who might get bitten will react, because you're much less likely to miss 'just a few bugs' under those circumstances. I think the 55 day rule is still useful for thermal, because eggs are still the hardest to kill reliably. You do need up to 14 days for the eggs to hatch, and I recall reading that 1st instars will die in about a month if they haven't fed in that time, (not that it's very likely that they won't find you if they're around) so that's about 45 days.
    I had a thermal about two months ago, and I began to feel much more confident after 3 weeks had passed with no bites (2 weeks, plus 1 for bugs to find us) but didn't call it until 2 months.

I hate to ask this, but are you sure the new place is bedbug-free? If you move, and have problems at the new place, it will be really difficult to figure out whether you brought them in or not. (...and I'm sure that the landlord will assume that you did, even if there's good evidence --like a large number of bites immediately after move-in-- that they were there already. )
    You might want to take an aerobed in and sleep there a night or two with 'clothes-in-ziploc' protocols before you move anything of your own over, even if you're sure your stuff is clean.
    In --heh-- your copious spare time. Sigh.

3. BuggyinLA

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2009 18:55:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Bugbitten Meg. It's good to know what our window of safety looks like. Our building has multiple infestations that were treated, but not the whole building, so I'm not really sure how we'll know we're actually "in the clear" until we leave the building behind us entirely.

As for the new place... we're unaware of any bed bug incidents in the new building. That said, it's directly across the street from a location reporting bed bug infestations from April through July of 2009, so I have no idea how safe the new location really is.

Your suggestion about sleeping there is one that had crossed our mind. We weren't sure if that was too crazy or not, but having the idea confirmed as a good one makes me more likely to figure out a way to do it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,552 posts in 49,285 topics over 152 months by 21,598 of 22,023 members. Latest: TW20, MyAccountHere, eldina714