5 mos and no sign of BBs since throwing out bedding and changing bedrooms

(3 posts)
  1. NewHerecticalDawn

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 7:42:29
    #

Login to Send PM

So back in April I started getting bites. I'd had a bed bug infestation about 10 years previously, so I knew exactly what they were right away. My mattress was 10 years old and my old stinky pup had just passed away so I just threw out all my bedding and the bed frame and my couch and armchair for good measure. While I was disposing of the box spring, I was able to find the BB's hiding place and confirm the infestation.

For years I'd been using a downstairs room as a bedroom because the stairs were too steep and narrow to fit my queen sized bed. I took this as an opportunity to buy a new rolled up foam mattress and a new bed frame and all new bedding. I set up my new bedroom upstairs and left the downstairs room mostly empty. I do walk through it all day to access the kitchen and stairs but other than that it's unused.

In the 5 months since, there's been no sign of BB's. I have climb ups on my new bed frame and there's been no activity and no new bites. I treated my former bedroom downstairs with some diamataceous earth. and vacuumed thoroughly. Last night I meticulously used tape and a high powered hand held magnifying glass to look for signs of any remaining infestation. I didn't find anything. I'd like to start using the room again as a dining room/home office/guest room but I'm scared there's dormant bed bugs hiding somewhere that will wake up once the room is occupied again. Also, I don't want the items I put in the room to get infested.

What should I do? I'm lucky enough to have gotten a recent financial windfall, so I'm open to spending more money now to give myself some peace of mind. Should I call a professional? Should I get an active C02 trap? Should I get a bed bug sniffing dog to come in? I think it is very possible that all of the BB's were thrown out with the mattress, bed frame, and bedding and that none remain. However, I want to be sure. Thanks for your help and suggestions!

2. lalmaroad

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 12:11:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Do some research on packtite passive monitors by David Cain. I would install in any location you spend a lot of time stationary in.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
  3. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 9 2019 14:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I don‘t think there are any left. They would’ve scattered and wandering around (finding you) and it doesn’t sound like the room was sealed up.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82