Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

5 Exterminations later and just found a bite...

(24 posts)
  1. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 20:04:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

First post here. I found this forum a week ago and can't even describe how good it feels to know there are so many people out there going through the same things as my roommate and me.

Anyway,

My roommate and I have had five (5....FIVE) exterminations, including one heat treatment over the last six months. Our most recent one was this past Thursday. All our stuff is in boxes, we've steam cleaned, sprayed, dusted, bombed, been /this close/ to setting the place on fire....you name it and we've done it. Since last Thursday, I hadn't been bitten at all and was actually getting a decent night's sleep for the first time in months. But a tiny voice in the back of my head told me not to relax and unbox everything just yet. It told me that there was probably just one super-mutant-radioactive-resistant bug that had survived the most recent spray. And sure enough....I FOUND A BITE JUST NOW. Guys, I don't know what to do. I'm calling my landlord and exterminator precisely at 8am tomorrow. And we're going to have to go through this all. again. FOR THE 6TH TIME. My roommate and I are both full time college students. Our lives are stressful enough as it is, and these satanic creatures that crawled out of the deepest pits of hell are just the cherry on top of everything.

Enough ranting. Down to the technical stuff. We live in an apartment building, and the infestation started from the apartment below us, and bugs crawled up the walls into our place. The exterminators drilled holes in our walls and sprayed/dusted to prevent them spreading...but I was still finding bugs crawling out of the holes before the second half of the most recent spray. And now I'm getting bitten again. What the heck do we do? Anyone have any advice?

Please, I'm being eaten alive by tiny vampires.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 20:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Has the problem downstairs been solved? Have all adjoining units to the one below as well as you been inspected? And not just from the beginning but recently?

3. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 21:10:08
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 32 minutes ago  » 
    Has the problem downstairs been solved? Have all adjoining units to the one below as well as you been inspected? And not just from the beginning but recently?

I'm going to talk to the apartment below me tonight or tomorrow. But I've been told that the bugs can't crawl up to our apartment that quickly (is this true???).

And all the apartments in the building were sniffed by the cutest bed bug sniffing dog. The dog went on alert in ours, the one below us, and was interested in the apartment next to us, but none others. The apartment next to us threw out the couch that was "of interest", but our landlord refused to exterminate their apartment because he claims it wasn't a "definite" alert from the dog.

Our lawyer didn't contest our landlord on this. Would you say otherwise?

Edit: you asked about how recently they were inspected....they were inspected one month before the first half of the most recent extermination. So the dog came December 10th, the first half of this treatment was Jan 11th, and the second half was Jan 25th. Our landlord won't use the dog again, but the exterminating company said they would come inspect in a few weeks.

4. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 15:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Update on the situation:

I have more bites on my hands, arms, and necks. 7 full days post-extermination. I called our exterminator (practically crying) and asked her how this could happen. She told me:

- to wait a full 2 weeks for the chemicals to take effect and see if I'm still getting bitten then. If I am, we will have to go through two more treatments. (Edit: this is what happened for the last 3 treatments. They tell me to wait 2 weeks but by that time I'm being eaten alive again.)
    - apparently the note left by the technician said that "prep was bad". I almost threw my phone on the ground when she said this. I was with the tech, walked through each room with him, and asked him if everything was all set - I was NOT going to make a single mistake. The tech said everything was fine.
    - The woman on the phone then said it may have been our neighbors whose prep was bad.
    - It's possible that our other neighbors are now infested too and that they spread right back to us.
    - and finally,
    - she claimed that it was our fault!! She said that we probably have been inviting people over or going to people's houses and bringing them back. I tried to explain: I have not had guests over in 6 months. I have not gone into anyone's home for 6 months. I do not sit on busses. I steam clean my coat/bag/purse/shoes immediately when I get home! But she still said it was probably my fault!!!!

I'm going crazy over here. I seriously need some guidance with this right now. This has been 6 months of hell!

Please please help!!!

5. Mf1616

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 23:38:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m not an expert but I had bed bugs in my college residence about 10 years ago, and another scare recently (still don’t know if I’m 100% in the clear yet).

At residence, they sprayed my room two or three times but I was still getting bites. They then moved me to another room on a different floor but they were there too. Like your PCO, they tried saying it was my fault and that it was impossible for them to keep coming back if I had prepped like I should have been. My roommate also didn’t have them, but looking back, I’m sure she had them but was a non-reactor to bites. After they moved my room and I still had them, I did start to think it was all my fault, even though I was taking all necessary precautions like laundering and getting rid of stuff I could do without (an old alarm clock, posters, slippers, etc).

So fast forward 6 months, and moving-out day comes. I was so terrified that I would bring them home with me. I washed all my clothes as soon as I got them home, and inspected everything else that couldn’t be washed. I would wake up several times during the night, for several weeks, to inspect my bed, under my pillow, etc. No bites, no bugs. It was the residence that was infested, and it wasn’t my fault that they kept coming back.

So, my point is that it’s possible to move (with your belongings) and not bring them with you, given that you take the necessary precautions, which it sounds like you’re more than capable of doing. Have you considered just cutting your losses and moving? If the tenants in the other apartments next to you aren’t serious about getting rid of the bed bugs, then bed bugs will always be a problem.

I am very sorry that you’re going through this. I can think of very few things in life worse than having bed bugs. I know, first hand, how it can traumatize you and ruin your life. I hope you find a solution soon, either way....

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  6. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 19:36:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Mf1616 - 6 days ago  »  Have you considered just cutting your losses and moving? If the tenants in the other apartments next to you aren’t serious about getting rid of the bed bugs, then bed bugs will always be a problem.
    I am very sorry that you’re going through this. I can think of very few things in life worse than having bed bugs. I know, first hand, how it can traumatize you and ruin your life. I hope you find a solution soon, either way....

Thank you very much for your message. Yes, unfortunately after our most recent court hearing this week, we decided that our best option is to move. This was a really difficult decision, as we'll be far away from campus and will have to throw all our furniture out, but it's really the only option now.

What are your suggestions for moving? We are going to take every precaution and more.

As far as traumatizing goes, this has ruined my life. I failed a few classes, had to drop out of school, and my mental health (depression/anxiety) has just gone off the rails. I wake up every hour during the night feeling like I'm being bitten, and about 50% of the time, I am.

Thank you for the support, you guys have been great.

7. bitethebullet

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Feb 8 2018 20:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh lawdy, what a freaking nightmare. It sounds like moving is your only choice, especially if your neighbors are not being as diligent as y’all are. Also, what the heck is wrong with the woman you talked to on the phone? Placing blame on you is insane, especially since there are SO MANY other ways that this could be continuing. I’m so sorry they’re treating you that way.

As far as moving, I’d suggest bagging items you can’t wash with nuvan strips, wash everything you can and bag them....and sadly maybe not bring a ton of furniture.

One thing to remember is that you can and will get rid of them. It just sounds like you’re in a situation where the people around you aren’t taking it seriously. A friend of mine had her whole building infested (I’m talking dead bugs covering the laundry room after the first treatment) and it took about a year to solve the problem. But that’s because they A) didn’t seek out a knowledgeable PCO in the beginning and B) some neighbors refused treatment. The manager of the building ended up getting fired because of how poorly it was handled. So, you’re not alone in your experience.

“I’ve got edge!”

“You’re about as edgy as a satsuma.”
  8. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Thu Feb 22 2018 15:07:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

So I have some updates and some questions:

We have had 8. EIGHT. Exterminations now. I haven't been bitten or seen any bugs, but my roommate is still itching. We are moving out of this s***hole apartment next week. I believe the problem is in the walls, as the apartments are connected, the majority of the bugs I've seen I've watched crawl out of the wall (!!!!!), and the exterminator drilled holes in the wall to dust and I watched dozens crawl out that night that the holes were drilled.

So,

Our new apartment should be bed bug free. I am going to inspect the place with a damn microscope before we move in. I'm also going to get some spray and spray the heck out of the floors. We're barely taking anything (all our furniture is going to the dumpster) and I'm throwing my bed away but my roommate insists on keeping hers (it was a $1000+ bed and we're students so she doesn't have that type of money right now). How do we prevent bugs from traveling on the bed? There's one mattress cover on it right now and I suggested maybe putting another one on top of that, but she insists on not sleeping on two mattress covers. What should we do about that?

Some furniture has to come with us, including desks, and one set of drawers. How do we make sure we don't carry a stray bug or egg?

I'm putting a ton of stuff in bins with nuvance strips, but I'm super paranoid that the gas isn't penetrating all the clothes, even though I've keep the clothes loosely packed. How do I make sure the nuvance is working?

Any other tips for moving? I honestly don't think I'll make it through another infestation.

Thanks guys you all da bomb

9. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Mar 3 2018 2:58:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

It's currently 2am and I'm sleeping on an air mattress in my new apartment with a thin blanket because all my furniture and belongings is in a truck being fumigated with Vikane for the next 48 hours.

And I'm having a mild panic attack here and would really like some advice.

I have found 2 bites on me today and I've never been more terrified. I can't be sure that they're bed bug bites but like....what else would they be. Everything that I'm wearing and what I'm using as bedding right now has been either heated in a dryer for 40 mins or been in a bucket with a nuvan strip for over a month. Am I imagining the bites? I don't think so because I don't think it's possible to make up a violent histamine reaction like the ones I get with bb bites. What if I transported a bug or an egg to my new place? I was SO careful...but what if I missed something? What if one became resistant to the nuvan strip? What if one pair of pants didn't heat all the way up to 118 F?? I can't do this anymore....my life is in shambles because of this infestation. I feel like I can't win no matter what I do.

Nine exterminations total. 7 sprays. one heat treatment. one vikane truck fumigation. eight months. thousands of dollars. 5 extermination companies. and I still am being bitten. I don't know what to do right now...

10. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Fri Mar 16 2018 1:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Guys I really need advice right now.

I thought I could have been making up those bites that I got but I just found 3 in a row. I just bought a $500 mattress the other day because I thought I was in the clear. I panicked and threw all my new pillows, blankets, and sheets out (except for one blanket which I stuck in the dryer for an hour). I went on Amazon and bought Cimexa and a mattress cover which will arrive Saturday.

I'm convinced that the Nuvan strips just don't fucking work. I follow the instructions and keep everything loose and the container air tight but I swear that it was the pillows that I had with the nuvan strip that were contaminated.

We did everything in our fucking power to get rid of the bugs and I don't see how it's possible that they are still here. The only thing I can think of is that my roommate didn't treat her car when we moved.

Please someone give me some fucking advice right now because I can't do this process again. I already dropped out of almost all my classes and got extensions on my projects till the end of April but I can't fucking live through another infestation and extermination. Please someone fucking tell me what to do

11. Not so thrilled

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Mar 17 2018 9:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert but I went through this 5 years ago and just found one last night. The first time around my kids beds had them and they moved into my room. It took 3 months to get rid of them. I never cleaned so much in my life! I used DE around the beds and the exterminator left a couple cans of Bedlam foaming spray. We sprayed every little hole and crevice. I really think that stuff helped in between treatments. I'm sorry you are going through this. I cried last night when I found one on my bed because of everything we had to do to get rid of them 5 years ago. The first time we brought them into our new house from my apartment and we are still in the same house so I'm not sure how this happened again. Keep your head up! You'll get through it.

12. hearty

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 20 2018 13:55:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear bugsbuggingme, so sorry for your ordeal, I as many here can sympathize. I have had a very similar experience and am still 'waiting' for extensive time to pass without any new bites. I am no expert but want to say that I do believe as we keep fighting bb's with a new plan each time, they will get destroyed. It seems to be a process that can take a lot of time and money (obviously), but we have no other choice but to persevere, there is always a new plan to pursue. I am using repeated spraying with Crossfire for bedding and fabrics and Fantom for baseboards and frames etc. with my PCO. He sprayed the walls up higher with Fantom last time he was here and all my bedding (sheets blankets pillows) with Crossfire which I will not bother to wash for one month. It lasts ca 30 days. Sounds like you already have a new plan in place, you can find many tips on this site how to proceed but it is a journey unfortunately, no quick fixes for everyone, some lucky people yes but not all. Best of luck and hang in there don't give up.
    I believe there need be a city/state/government program to help individuals fight this, financial and psychological aid frankly.

13. hearty

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 20 2018 14:38:22
    #

Login to Send PM

POST SCRIPT! A suggestion would be if you could work continuously with ONE exterminator so you can relax in-between and get back to your class schedule and projects.....even with b bugs, as long as there is a plan in place and less freak out. That's when I started being able to relax a little.

14. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 28 2018 3:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Update....

My roommate has been being eaten alive for the last month but only told me today. I called a bug sniffing dog to come in tomorrow morning but I already know the answer.

I'm losing my fucking mind over here. I can't go through this again. I have nothing left. I have no furniture, I have no sheets, no pillows...nothing but the few things I need to survive. All my belongings are consolidated to my room.

I moved to a new place with the hope that this was all done but I'm still in the middle of war. I don't know what to do. On the one hand, it helps to type this out and write to a community going through the same thing, but on the other hand, if there are so many people going through the same thing is there even a solution to this problem? Is there a way out of this?

I spent my life savings on this. I just want a normal fucking life. I want to wake up without having to inspect my body and my bed for bugs. I want to buy a couch. I want to jump into bed after a long day of work and let my worries fade away. Instead it gets worse when I get into bed.

I can't even describe the emotional toll this has taken on me. My soul feels like it's being crushed. I'm trapped. I don't see a way out of this.

When does this fucking nightmare end????

15. Pattycake

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 28 2018 9:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand that you are getting bites, and I assume since your bringing in a bb dog you have yet to see any bugs, fleeces , skins etc. have you tried a passive monitor to see if you can find them? I sure hope you are in the clear.

16. eseptember

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 28 2018 13:01:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you actually seen evidence in your new place? If they are biting this much there has to be fecal somewhere. I'm no expert but that's just what I read. This really sounds like a horrible ordeal you have been through! Wishing you the best! I hope the dog doesn't find anything but if he does please make the handler id the bug. I had a bad experience with a k9 team myself.

17. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 28 2018 17:12:02
    #

Login to Send PM

eseptember - 4 hours ago  » 
    Have you actually seen evidence in your new place? If they are biting this much there has to be fecal somewhere. I'm no expert but that's just what I read. This really sounds like a horrible ordeal you have been through! Wishing you the best! I hope the dog doesn't find anything but if he does please make the handler id the bug. I had a bad experience with a k9 team myself.

The dog alerted the team in my roommate's room. I've been crying all day because of this. The PCO said that we have to do an extermination and treat it as if the entire apartment is infested (heat treat my clothes/books/belongings and live out of trash bags for 2 months). I'm at a complete loss of what to do. I can't go through this again. School is starting in a month and I won't be able to handle this all.

The K9 guy didn't actually identify a bug, but the dog was very interested in a box and a closet in my roommate's room. We'll try searching but I would assume its very hidden.

I'm really at a loss for what to do.

18. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 28 2018 17:15:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Pattycake - 7 hours ago  » 
    I understand that you are getting bites, and I assume since your bringing in a bb dog you have yet to see any bugs, fleeces , skins etc. have you tried a passive monitor to see if you can find them? I sure hope you are in the clear.

I haven't seen any bugs/skins/blood spots. Though this is how it started last time - neither my roommate and I nor several exterminators actually saw anything for several months. This is why we called the dog - his nose is going to work much better than our eyes. I have interceptor traps and DTE in place guarding my room and bed lol. Glue traps have never worked in the past for me though (even during peak infestation, the glue traps caught nothing).

Unfortunately, the K9 alerted for a live bug/egg in my roommate's closet this morning. I fear we're going to go through this all again.

19. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 8 2018 14:39:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

We are scheduling our 10th extermination this week. This infestation has lasted for over a year now.

I unpacked my last box from moving just a few weeks ago. Now all my belongings are once again in trash bags and bins (with nuvan strips).

Also, our Zapp bug broke today. LOL.

I'm completely numb. I talked to my therapist about this ordeal and just completely had a mental breakdown in his office. This has completely ruined my life. I can't invite friends into my house. I can't invite a guest to sleep in my bed. I've thrown nearly everything away. All of my belongings fit into just a few boxes in my room now. I've pretty much dropped out of life. This is literally hell.

We're using a different exterminator this time but I don't know how they're going to do anything differently.

I think I'm out of good options here.

20. Bugsareicky

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jul 12 2018 19:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Assuming you guys did bring some bugs along, the issue in your new place is probably MUCH smaller than what you were dealing with before, and much easier to treat. A small infestation in a bed or closet is nothing like treating a multiple unit problem with bugs in the walls. I think your battle is nearly over. Hang in there.

21. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jul 25 2018 10:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

10th extermination was over two weeks ago.

He sprayed with transport micron and also gave us a 6 month warranty - he was so confident that his technique was going to work and was very smart and reassuring.

However, this morning, I woke up with 6 quarter-sized bites on my legs and arms.

I want to think that this is going to be easier to treat than the last place but if it is so easy, WHY ARE THEY STILL HERE????

I can't get over the fact that we've had 10 f-ing exterminations over the course of a YEAR and we still can't get rid of them.

Does anyone have any resources for more experts in the field that I can talk to? Researchers?

I'm *this* close to packing a suitcase and moving to a cabin in a remote forest.

22. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jul 25 2018 10:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

When was the last time you found a live bed bug? I just don't have the time to trace back through all posts to get an idea of where you're at.

23. bugsbuggingme

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jul 25 2018 11:06:59
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 23 minutes ago  » 
    When was the last time you found a live bed bug? I just don't have the time to trace back through all posts to get an idea of where you're at.

In my last apartment (so before we moved March 1st). I have not seen a live one with my eyes here, but a dog sniffed either an egg or live bug a few weeks ago in a closet in our new place (we never saw it, but the dog was very sure about it).

Side note: should I keep this thread or make a new one? I know it's getting pretty long...

24. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Jul 25 2018 13:25:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Never trust a dog's alert that isn't followed up by the handler producing a live specimen.
    If it's been since March 1st there would be enough evidence easily spotted with even a basic search.

Disregard the dog, and don't call that guy again, it sounds like someone was out to take advantage of you.

If you believe that you are being bitten by something and you can find no evidence on or adjacent to your bed, but the dog alerts to a distant closet, that's not a story that I'd ever believe, they just don't behave that way. There's just so much of your story that points to something other than bed bugs, I think you should forget about bed bugs and look for another cause.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,262 posts in 46,759 topics over 142 months by 20,630 of 21,514 members. Latest: jungr, laurwes, Cursive08