40+ bites in 3 nights possible?

(9 posts)
  1. confused_1234

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 21 2013 17:53:28
    #

Login to Send PM

We just came home from vacation 1 week ago. Before vacation, we had no obvious signs of bed bugs. Three days ago we noticed some small bumps on my daughter, about 20ish on her arms and lower back. She said they didn't itch. Next day, there were more appearing (30-40 in total) and a couple itched a little bit. Throughout the day, it seemed a few more would pop up. Today, a few more appeared so there are a little more than 40 bumps in total. The bumps look like little pimples.

We have looked around her room to see if we can find any evidence of bed bugs (skins, fecal, blood) after reading likely hiding places online. No evidence on bed, sheets, frame, headboard, drawers, electrical outlets, floor boards (as best as I can tell), in drawers, under drawers, behind wall hangings, ...

Here are my questions, if anyone can help:

1. Is it possible to have this many bites from bed bugs in such a short amount of time with a new "infestation"? If so, would it be this hard to find evidence?

2. Does anyone have any advice on what more we can do to try and find them if it is bed bugs?

3. Can a doctor tell a bed bug bite when shown?

Thanks so much for your help!

Confused

2. NY Bug Man

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 21 2013 17:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes its possible, but with that many bites its unlikely if you didn't find ANY evidence.
    Doctors cannot tell you what insect bit you so dont try it.
    Hire a well reputable inspector before the problem gets out of hand if it is bed bugs.
    Inspections are a small cost to pay before the problem gets out of hand. If your negative for bed bugs pick up a passive monitor and keep a couple of those around .

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 21 2013 21:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Se my responses below.

Here are my questions, if anyone can help:

1. Is it possible to have this many bites from bed bugs in such a short amount of time with a new "infestation"? If so, would it be this hard to find evidence?

Yes, it is possible. You don't know how many bed bugs may be present nor do you know for sure if when the bites actually occurred.

2. Does anyone have any advice on what more we can do to try and find them if it is bed bugs?

The possible scenarios as to why you're not finding bed bug evidence includes:

> You don't know what you're looking for.
    > You don't know how to look.
    > You don't know where to look.
    > You have not looked in the correct places yet.

3. Can a doctor tell a bed bug bite when shown?

MDs who are trained and experienced in medical entomology should be able to identify evidence of bed bugs and should be able to properly identify the telltale signs of bed bugs and the typical symptoms of bed bug bites.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. littlebugstards

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 21 2013 21:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

@confused-

I had over 70 bites in three days. I found and caught a few of the little bugstards by following the instructions of the PCO owner.

I slept where I was being bitten. I woke up via alarm in the wee hours of the AM before dawn, I took my flashlight and aimed it into the cracks and crevices of the couch, pulling apart the folders and seams. It took some doing and it was creepy, but I found them. Some alive, some dead and casting. I'd armed myself w/a spray bottle of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol (contact killer) and I felt like a cowboy spraying them to their deaths.

BE CAREFUL if you use IPA. It is highly flammable and , IMO, quite safe if you are careful with it and do not overuse. It dries relatively quickly.

Today I spoke w/a woman who found them on the underside of her IKEA bed frame, deep down in the crevices and cracks, but she could see the tell-tale fecal stains. She took the whole bed apart and the live bugs began to scramble out.

It you have bed bugs, and are a diligent searcher, you will find them. But I hope you do not have them.

5. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 21 2013 21:58:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you sure it is not some kind of childhood rash? I thought I had bedbugs two years ago only to find out it was a shingles rash. Looked exactly like some kind of bug had feasted on me.

Some rashes can look just like insect bites.

S

6. confused_1234

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jul 21 2013 23:21:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the replies so quickly! I had a couple more questions.

Does the fecal matter usually occur on the mattress/sheets/mattress pad (site of biting) or is it around the place they congregate between feedings? How about the blood stains? We have searched her mattress, mattress pad, and sheets very carefully and they are totally clean. She is in a bunk bed and sleeps on the top bunk. Her brother below has no "bites" at all and his mattress/bedding is clean as well.

Also, she popped out with at least 5 more bumps tonight making the total around 45 now. How many bugs would be responsible for that many in less than 7 days? We put a layer of double-sided sticky tape around the bed to try and stick one or more, is that likely to work if they aren't in the bed setup?

I'm trying to determine if this is really bed bugs, some other bug(s), or a medical problem like a virus or something.

Thanks again for the help!

7. confused_1234

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 22 2013 10:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:

My daughter now has 51ish "bites". Our sticky tape bed perimeter didn't stick anything. We checked the room about every 30 minutes until around 3am. We found what appear to be 3 carpet beetle larvae and a few carpet beetle shedded skins. Since everyone has a few carpet beetles in their home I don't know if this is the problem or bed bugs or something else. Feel like I'm going insane, lol!

We have a call in to a PCO to come do an inspection.

8. BBNewbie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 22 2013 14:02:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Have her sleep in another room for a few nights. Right after her bath...give her fresh nightclothes right out of the dryer. Don't let her go in that room for a few days and see if she gets any more bites. She needs protected if it is bites ......and then you will also know if it isn't and is something else. If it's not bites....get her to a Dr.!

S

9. Nemo

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jul 22 2013 14:38:06
    #

Login to Send PM

IMO it's unlikely to be bed bugs with that many "bites" and NONE before this sudden new occurrence. I would take her to a doctor, maybe it's some virus. Heck, maybe it's chicken pox.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams