4 yr.old new victim of BED BUGS!!!

(9 posts)
  1. sholmes

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 13:04:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I have 5 kids and we have been at my mothers for about two weeks.My 4 yr old likes to sleep with her Gma and the 2nd day of visiting I noticed bites. My mother lives in apt complex that has had several treatments for bed bugs all around her. So my mother(Gma)@ absolutely refuses to believe that she has bugs in "Her Bed" because she has not been bitten.After arguing with her for the last 2 weeks and my daughter being bitten continuously,my husband asked the bed bug treatment guys,that were next door doing a treatment, if its possible for only one person in a bed to be bitten. They said YES. Reason being that a bes bug will select a victim according to taste. In our situation, the bugs are biting my daughter instead of Gma because the bugs can sense (or have tasted ).. that my mother(Gma) takes alot of medications. Apparently the bugs CAN only bite 1 person in same bed. With 2 weeks gone by a bad infestation is in near future. We are leaving for home soon and are worried that they will follow. My mother(Gma), will be left with this problem because she doesn't believe us....Oh well....what do you guys think???

2. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 13:09:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Please read the travel FAQ and follow those protocol heading home. bedbugs can live in more places than the bed, and I would be afraid that you might unwittingly transfer them.

If you don't take percautions before you leave, I'd think your chances with that many kids would be high. Did you drive there? Where are you keeping your things?

3. sholmes

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 13:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I already washed everything in super hot water and dried them in highest setting then used oversized bags to seal our clothes in. I mean that's all that I can do really....right?? Im concerned that my mother will end up with a nasty infestation because she doesn't want to face reality.those bugs will eventually feed on her because we will be gone. Those bugs can live up to 11 months and if a female is present,she's going to be in a world of hurt...!!

4. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 14:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read that one study concluded that the elderly were sometimes less reactive to bedbug bites. So, your mother may be bitten, but non-reactive.

How is her vision? If you were able to locate bugs in her bedroom, do you think she would be able to see them and believe it? Can you encourage her to have an inspection?

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 16:30:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Take care with items like shoes, bags, toys, blankets, etc. You need to treat those as well.

I'll write more when I am at home.

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 27 2011 22:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you, I would take the steps you're taking and I'd bag things while in her home: things like your purse, electronics, etc. Thicker plastic or double bagged, ziplocks for things you remove. You need to assess what risks lie in the things that you brought and take appropriate action.

What all did you bring with you?

7. sholmes

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 22:09:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Crazy thing that as large as what some sites say the bed bugs are....I can never find one.if they are that hard to find(like in electronics and other items) I am so worried that they will hitch-hike no matter what precautions I take.everyone has said how hard it is to get rid of them and we live in the middle of nowhere so having someone come out will be very expensive. So what's even crazier is that I didn't let my daughter sleep with Gma two nights in a row and there were no NEW BITES! My mother still is in denial. When she's not here I spray the bottom of her dood with black flag and I tuck/stuff towel under her door. Sounds dumb but what can I do for my family while we are still here with her??? I am at my breaking point and feel lost

8. sholmes

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 22:12:34
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 23 hours ago  » 
    If I were you, I would take the steps you're taking and I'd bag things while in her home: things like your purse, electronics, etc. Thicker plastic or double bagged, ziplocks for things you remove. You need to assess what risks lie in the things that you brought and take appropriate action.
    What all did you bring with you?

Typical items while on vacation.I mean like clothing shoes diapers for my little one phones. No computers or anything so primarily clothes.

9. sholmes

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 28 2011 22:18:11
    #

Login to Send PM

BugsInTO - 1 day ago  » 
    I have read that one study concluded that the elderly were sometimes less reactive to bedbug bites. So, your mother may be bitten, but non-reactive.
    How is her vision? If you were able to locate bugs in her bedroom, do you think she would be able to see them and believe it? Can you encourage her to have an inspection?

I would love go actually find one!!!I have looked and looked....I go in the room at night w/flashlight and still can't find any. Man o man if I was able to catch one it would make me feel better..in a sense I guess.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas