Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

4 treatments...could I still have bed bugs?

(8 posts)
  1. AandD

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 10:27:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

I need your advice. We discovered bed bugs in our bed over a month ago (I saw one and we had the blood stains and fecal stains on our sheets). After doing some research online, we decided to call a professional company to treat our house (we live in a row home in Philadelphia). Orkin inspector came and saw bugs along our bed frame, under the box spring.

They said they would do 3 chemical treatments (The second one was a week after the first one and the third treatment was 2 weeks after the second one). They also incased all the mattresses and box springs. We put all our clothes, towels, drapes and linens in trash bags and dried everything for an hour and the things that couldn't go in the dryer, we heated them using Packtite. All these items are still sealed in trash bags.

Once the treatment began, i was too paranoid to sleep in our room, so my husband and I moved into the guest bedroom. We know this isn't good to do, but we talked to Orkin and they said they were treating the whole houe so it didn't really matter. That made sense.

I saw a few in the guest bedroom after the second treatment, and i saw quite a few (mostly nymphs) on the mattress in the master bedroom (where we hadn't been sleeping for the past few weeks). We threw the boxspring out (it was encased) and we called Orkin who said that if we still saw activity after the 3rd treatment, they would come and do a fourth. Its been a week since the fourth treatment.
    All our belongigns are still in trash bags. We vacuum meticulously every other day and have been doing it since the second treatment, so its been a few weeks now. We vacuum both beds, bed frames, the couch and chairs. I haven't seen any activity since the fourth tratment, even though its just been a week.
    BUT, I think we're still getting bitten. We're still sleeping in the guest bedroom and I have noticed red spots here and there on my thigh and on my arm. They're always single and they're never itchy, and I only notice them because I examine myself so thoroughly because I have literally lost my mind since this infestation happened. Other times, I may not even notice them. Also, My husband hadn't been feeling itchy or getting any spots, but this morning he did too - althought he didn't notice them right away. he noticed the spots a couple of hours after he'd gotten to work.
    I have examined the bed, the pillows and everything and have seen no sign of them or blood stains or fecal stains on our sheets, the matress covers, the mattress encasemtn or on the carpets anywhere. I feel like I'm losing my mind!
    Do we still have them? Since I can't see any other signs of them, what should we do to make sure they're gone or still there?? Please help!

2. miserableone

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 10:34:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I have read that bites can appear many days after the bite occurs, so the marks you are seeing could very well be from earlier bites. You could even be having a reaction to the chemicals that are being used. The red marks could be from anything.

3. AandD

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 10:43:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks and I really hope you're right.
    We've spent A LOT of money on the professional treatment, and the mental anguish this has caused...well, you can't even put a price tag on that. I just wish there was a way to know if they were gone or still lurking.
    Would you or anyone think we should get the bed bug beacon to monitor? Will it be effective in a room where we're still sleeping?
    Any advice or feedback would be REALLY appreciated!

4. miserableone

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 10:58:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I know all too well about the mental anguish. As for a beacon working in a room thats occupied, I do not know the answer to that and I wouldnt give advice unless I was sure I was giving proper advice. I would let one of the pros answer that.

5. feelinghelplesswith3 babies

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 12:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I've read bed bug beacons work good if the room is not occupied or else youd be competing with the co2 it gives off I ordered one for an empty unit that was infested it's been treated but I want to make sure there's no more activity in there.

6. DreDay17

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 14:46:23
    #

Login to Send PM

When I tried to hire Okrin for pco work they told me one treatment would do the trick. I guess it all depends on where you live and the people working there(shouldn't be though!).

7. Kass2010

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2012 17:07:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi AandD! I'm also in Philly, and in the midst of treatment (though I pray to God it's over!). Had my 3rd treatment on Friday, and no new activity except some dead nymphs. I did wake up this morning with "bites" on my R arm, but as others have said, I'm hoping it's a delayed response - also, my PCO did say (and I think others have noted this too, depending on what chemicals are used) that activity can pick up for a couple of days after treatment. The important things is that things are quieting down. Also, I completely understand the mental anguish. I feel like I've been in some waking nightmare for the past 3 weeks, though things are getting better, and this forum has been a great support network.

I did order a BB passive monitor and got it today and installed it, really to give me peace of mind that either they're really gone, or if not, then I need to push for a fourth treatment. Also, I'm hoping it will cut down on my paranoia and OCD need to do daily bed frame checks. I was debating getting the active monitor as well but will grit my teeth and continue serving as "bait" in my bed.
    Hang in there - we will get through this!

8. AandD

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2012 10:53:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Kass2010,
    Thanks for the encouragement and support!
    We've been dealing with this for over a month now. Had our fourth treatment last week on Tuesday and haven't seen any activity since and I look for them or any sign of them like a mad woman - although now that I've said that I won't be surprised if I go find something today!
    So just as I thought we may be rid of them, my husband woke up with all these bite marks on his legs, arm and hands Monday morning. Alhtough he didn't really notice any till he got to work when a couple on his hand became itchy. We were outside for a long time on Saturday and he did get bitten by tons of mosquitoes, so don't know know if those were mosquito bites and some took a while to get itchy. I don't know.
    I have some marks too but mine are never itchy so I can never tell if its just a spot or an actually bite. Anyway, its gotten me going crazy all over again. I inspect and vacuum the mattresses and bed frames, along with the rest of the house, every other day, but this time i did that and washed and piping-hot dried the sheets and mattress cover as well. We didn't wake up with any new bites today, although I have read the jsut feed once a week or something.
    I just wish I knew if we were bedbug-free or not so I can start sleeping again!!
    We're going away for the weekend and I ordered the Bedbug Beacon monitor. Hopefully that'll give us some idea if they're still lurking around or not.
    You mentioned passive or active monitor. What's the difference?
    Good luck to you too with all of this. Fingers crossed we're both bug-free! Nice to know we're not dealing with this ordeal all alone in Philly!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,633 posts in 50,002 topics over 154 months by 21,865 of 22,346 members. Latest: georgia-sos, gingerstelpa, jaa5108