4 bags with DDVP strips in closed off room of house

(2 posts)
  1. Napier99

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 22 2018 4:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a mild bed bug infestation. We had been bite free for over a month when we started being bitten again. They seem to be in 2 pieces of furniture: a wooden bunk bed and a sectional sofa. The sad thing is we got the furniture (new) at the end of September/beginning of October and a month later we get bedbugs. We're not entirely unconvinced they didn't come with the furniture. Maybe there was discarded furniture in the delivery truck with our stuff.

Anyway, our couch seemed all clear. My son and I had been falling asleep on it for about 3 weeks with no bites. What we didn't know was that my cousin was being bitten in the bunk bed. My stepdaughter also sleeps in there, but doesn't react to the bites. Ironically, after I see a bite on my cousin's hand, I get bit on the couch.

My husband and I agreed to burn the bed and carpet in that bedroom. It's currently unoccupied because we had to ask my stepdaughter and cousin to relocate since we only have 1 bedroom now. My son is 5 and sleeps with us.

We decided to buy banana bags and bag the sectional sofa and ottoman. There are 2 bags with cushions, 1 with the ottoman and 1 bag that is pieced together out of 3 bags with the 2 pieces of the sectional. (Each sectional piece was too big for the jumbo bag) We put a Hot Shot DDVP strip in each bag and these are sitting in the unoccupied room. (It's currently winter here and we don't have a garage).

The vent in the room has plastic over it with the edges duct taped to the floor. The over-the-door vent that leads from the living room to that room is also sealed with plastic and duct tape. The outlets and light switch are sealed with duct tape as well and the wall that the unoccupied room and living room share is lined with rolled up towels. The gap at the bottom of the door is also lined with a rolled up towel.

My husband says this is fine, that the vapors are in the bags, but I can't seem to stop from worrying especially since we spend most of our time in the adjacent living room. I mostly worry about my son.

We have about 3.5 days to go before we can open the bags and ventilate the room and I plan on having my husband open them one at a time with hours in between each bag.

None of us seem to be affected by any vapors and I have a 15 lb jack Russel terrier who doesn't seem to be affected. I would expect it to bother her before us. I just worry about leaks being in all the bags and then all of a sudden, I have a room with vapors from 4 strips in it.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping potential leaky vapors from getting to my living room? Have I taken enough steps to ensure very little would get to my living room in the event of leaky bags? I mostly worry about the pieced together bag as there was so much taping.

2. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Feb 23 2018 1:25:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The vapor is probably contained in the bags.
    I'd be worried about opening the bags inside no matter what the precautions are.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,180 posts in 50,133 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92