(12 posts)
  1. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2012 21:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all!

Question for the experts here:

If a person was to have an infestation starting from, say, 1 bug, how much evidence would you expect to see after a period of 3 months where there is ready access to a food source for the bugs?

Like, does any PCO have photos of an infestation that they can say is about 3 months old, in regards to the extent of fecal and cast skins/eggs?

I ask this because I am looking to start the new year off fairly well... My last treatment was back in September, and while I have had a blood spot or two on my sheet since then, and had one bite in October that itched like hell, it seems very unlikely that they are still around. I say this because I am a reactor to the bites. They itch like hell on me. I've inspected and doesn't see any thing that looks like fecal stains, and I haven't seen any cast skins (with one exception that appeared to be a leftover from immediately post-treatment.

What should I expect to see in terms of volume of fecal/cast skins/etc. if there was still an active infestation?

2. nycanon18

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jan 2 2012 21:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

while i'm not qualified at all to answer (i'm still incredibly paranoid/ridiculous) and this won't 100% answer your question, keep in mind: bbs have 5 stages, 2 sexes; only a 5th stage female can lay eggs (after being inseminated by a male). Thus, if there was just one bug, I would probably cry a little bit, but wouldn't expect much activity unless it was a pregnant female. Of course, this is all speculation, but this info does make me feel a little bit better from time to time.

also, if any of this information is incorrect: please someone correct me and i will edit/delete as necessary ( i don't want to spread incorrect information)

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 1:44:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Ohnoes,

Let's assume your one BB was an adult inseminated female on day one. This female may deposite anywhere from four to twelve eggs per day. Let's also assume that these eggs hatch out in about four to seven days and are 50% of each sex.

Given adequate resources and living conditions these hatchlings may reach breeding age in about three weeks. Add this growth time to the original ovum development time and at about day 30, and days subsequent to that, you have additional eggs and the population can build at an exponential rate each day.

As the population grows and Bbs continue to feed the amount of telltale signs left behind also grows. This sign includes fecal stains, shed skins(left behind as BBs molt), eggs, live BBs and carcasses as some BBs die off.

Let us know if any additional questions or concerns.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

4. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 2:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks a lot for asking this question OhNoes. I got bed bug paranoia 3 months ago, and decided to give it time so I can inspect for any evidences. It would really help to know what I am looking for and how easy it would be to find these evidences after 3 months.

Thank you.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 2:57:54
    #

Login to Send PM

To ALL who are looking for BB evidence:

Please go to the resources pages of this site to view the various photos so you will quickly learn what the visible evidence looks like and what you're looking for.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

6. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 8:04:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks P Bello.

Let's just put it like this... I'm fairly sure my treatments back in Aug-Sept took care of the issue... I get bouts of reinfestation paranoia... and inspect... and find nothing... but, I always think... oh, geez, what is this bump or slight itch...

I have climbups that have shown absolutely nothing since the treatment. I don't see clusters of fecal (or any fecal) on the bed or my hangout chair.

It makes me confident that the bugs are not there.. but I was hoping to get a response on the volume that I might expect to see. Thanks for the response.

7. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 8:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I suppose David Cain would advise the following: "Get a grip on your sanity!" given the lack of evidence after such a long time.

But, as the Marx Brothers taught me, http://www.naden.de/blog/bbvideo-bbpress-video-plugin -->

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

I want to thank all the experts and other folk on here that have responded over the months.

I feel fairly confident that the problem is over, and you all have been a great help.

8. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 12:59:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad to hear it, OhNoes!

I have the same moments. (And I get the mystery "bites". So far, it's occurred on scars or areas where I was sure about a previous bite, but BY GODS...SCARY.)

9. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 13:08:51
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I'm glad to hear it, OhNoes!
    I have the same moments. (And I get the mystery "bites". So far, it's occurred on scars or areas where I was sure about a previous bite, but BY GODS...SCARY.)

Thanks!

Ya, my Sig.Other. keeps telling me it's ok... and I keep saying "even if they are here, I have seen no evidence and have no reason to be a-skeert", but, the occasional moment does arise.

I did get a doc saying that certain "marks" were folliculitis, which jives with what I expected, and with my history of skin bumps. So, with that, I will be chill, calm, and enjoy the snow.

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 13:58:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not sure if my blanket advice would be get a grip, I tend to reserve such bluntness for those who really do need to get a grip, otherwise the value of the statement is degraded.

OK fun part over, facts to follow.

When a bedbug feeds in a normal setting it tends to leave 1 faecal trace per biting event which is on average 2mm in diameter. Thus if a lone bedbug got into a property and the population was limited to just that then you could expect to see 1 faecal trace per 5 - 7 days and thus by the end of 3 months you would be looking at the following:

area of faecal trace = 2mm X { (days / 7 for lower range) or (days / 5 for upper range) }

Thus in your situation you would expect to see between 2.4cm(squared) and 3.6 cm(squared) worth of material

Given that you are a bite responder of past which does not always mean anything but can be a reasonable indication that you will be in the future.

Therefore given that you have not had a confirmed bite and have not seen anything then I would say the risk of you inspecting and missing a sizable amount of material is low and therefore its not likley that you have bedbugs.

However you could have reduced your anxiety and stress dramatically by adopting a monitoring program to concentrate the signs to a fixed location and thus would have had a lot more free stress free time to have gotten on with your life bedbug free.

Hope that explains and puts some logic into things.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  11. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 14:52:59
    #

Login to Send PM

i am supposed to be weaning myself of the forums to dampen down my emerging ocd so i feel a bit guilty posting here as it is evidence that i have been sneaking a peak! (sorry DC). however i would just like to thank ohnoes for posting the fabulous marx bros clip, i love that scene, second only to:- Groucho:- "... she said kiss me big bawana(?sp), so i kissed her big bawana!! and, "....time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!!" LOVE the marx brothers. regards jduk.

12. OhNoes

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 20:13:33
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    That is exactly what i was looking for. The formula you gave is a great gauge of activity. I have been watching baseboards and also checking climbups... But was a bit unsure about the bed given my sporadic at best inspections..... Now i have an idea of the level of evidence i should exPect to see.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas