3 months in, 5th treatment, second company. First bug seen today

(19 posts)
  1. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 15:09:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there, I thought I´d share my experience with you all as I think all information is useful and can help us fight this fight...
    Ive been on this forum before as I was never 100% sure that we had the bugs. It started 3 months ago today when my flatmate said she was bitten at night in her room. We never saw anything. No fecal signs, no casts, no insects..nothing. But she kept getting bitten so we fumigated. Then I started getting bitten. 4 fumigations later I lost total confidence in the PCO and contracted another company. I had 2 different companies come out to have a look. Both said that they saw no signs of bed bugs whatsoever..but I was still getting bitten..maybe 10 or 12 times a night. I would wake up thinking I could feel them bite - im a mild reactor - bites are sore more than itchy and I can react instantly or several hours later - but I would never see them. Put the mattress and base in bed bug casings. Ive slept with the light on. Id isolated my bed, put tape round the legs and legs in interceptor bowls. Tape on the ceiling to stop them from dropping on me. Washed bedding every day pretty much. Frozen stuff. Got Trappit pheromone traps in..10 in total, 3 in my bedroom even, and still nothing seen. Not on the tape, in the interceptor traps or in the pheromone traps. And yet I was still getting bitten. Even on the lips, all over my back, neck, ears. My flatmate moved out obviously... and someone else moved in. He says he´s not been bitten and thought it was probably in my mind. He´s a reactor, or was and knows from this from a past experience.
    Anyway, I decided to fumigate again with a much better PCO that takes things apart, baseboards, wall sockets. They fumigated today. They found 2 small instars - one behind a picture frame in the corridor outside my room and another in the base board outside my room. Both looked like they´d recently fed. They say they´ve found nothing in my room. My dog sleeps just outside my room pretty much where they found the bugs.
    So..the fight continues.
    I wanted to share that - it´s so important the PCO you use. A good indication is how long they spend in your home. Also that the pheromone traps do not work and are not useful for detection. The tape on the bed legs and the interceptor bowls caught nothing in 3 weeks and we still had them.
    Im deeply concerned that Ive taken them to friends´ houses unintentionally. Im sitting right now in a friends house thinking - have I got them on me? have I brought them in my bag?
    Is it possible that Im washing my bedding and they´re not being killed? So I just keep putting them back on my bed? Its a mystery. I kind of trust this company though, although they are the ones that said the pheromone traps work...at least they found something.
    I feel like throwing everything I own away.
    It´s funny how you realise that no possession you own is worth holding onto infront of this kind of situation.
    It doesnt help that Im in Spain and despite serious bed bug issues here, PCOs, info and products available are not that great.
    Thanks for being here bedbugger forum, so that I can share this story and feel supported.

2. tripturnedintoanightmare

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 15:42:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi sleepless, I've had seven treatments and i'm still being bitten. I am going to move and i'm slowly starting to throw everything away (today I threw away some books and my old wedding dress, so traumatizing). I'm in France and Vikane trucks nor Nuvan strips are unvailable so i have no other choice to throw absolutely EVERYTHING I have (my son's toys, ALL my furniture etc). And despite these traumatizing measures I still won't be sure to take some with me. My life is over, I'm holding on for my son.

3. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 16:10:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there.
    Having bed bugs is a total bummer..and its probably one of the most stressful things to have happened to me, but I have friends who´ve had them and they have managed to get rid of them. Where I live there´s a problem with them and I know 6 people who have had them in the last 2 years.. 2 moved house and 4 managed to get rid of them. Of the 4 who got rid of them 2 did it themselves and the other 2 used a company, one of the ones that I´m using now. There is hope. So don´t despair. It is awful, but seriously I have some really nice stuff...but nice stuff means nothing compared to healthy peace of mind. Get rid of it all if you have to. It will end!

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 16:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless, post pics of those instars. After three months you'd find way more than that, and it takes adults to breed in order to have little'uns. I'd bet a mortgage payment that bed bugs aren't your problem.

5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 16:59:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You said 'fumigation.' Does that mean 'bombs?' Bombs are bad and if you had them for three months there would be plenty of fecal.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  6. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 17:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The first company used 3 products including a repellent...for 4 fumigations (spraying I supose youd say in english)
    And this new one uses 4 different products.
    But I totally agree for the quantity of bites Ive been getting 2 measly little instars do not explain this. Especially as they were found in a corridor outside my bedroom. I also went to sleep the past 3 nights on the sofa and was bit there too and they found nothing in the living room. But the PCO identified what was found as bedbug instars, so Ill take his word for it. It´s odd how he said they looked recently fed. Anyway, Im just glad something has been found and evryone stops thinking Im paranoid.
    I suspect there´s a population or two under the floor, I have old wooden floors with lots of cracks, and I also suspect there´s some in the very large closet space I have in my room..all old wood and shelves. The lack of fecal evidence is odd too I admit. I also can´t work out why none have appeared on the duct tape on the legs of my bed or the sofa.
    But after 3 months for the first time they have been found. So I´m glad about this.
    This company says they have never had to go out more than 4 times to a place and that was just one time. So I want to be positive about this.
    We´ll just follow protocols, bagging, cleaning etc and go through the process.
    A big concern now is the effect of these products on my dog. Large German Shepherd in the house. The PCO says its fine after 24 hours, but these are very toxic products..

7. freakedoutohio

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 18:32:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but if you truly did all the things you said:
    Climb-up interceptors, tape on legs, casing for mattress and base, tape on the ceiling even, and if your bed is isolated and at least one foot away from the wall with nothing hanging down, it's 99% chance that it's NOT bedbugs.

Otherwise how would they be feeding on you? How could they even get to your bed?
    Especially if you're being bitten 10-12 times a night. You would have seen SOMETHING by now. It's certainly possible that you are getting bitten somewhere else, but regardless at least ONE of the bedbugs should have tried to feed while you sleep and would be caught in the interceptor. Again, especially if you have 10-12 new bites a night. That's not a small infestation.

I would advise you to post a picture of the instars for an expert on this forum to identify.

8. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 18:52:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, please post pics of the bugs the pco found. Were you present when he found them, or did he exit a room with a bag of them or something?

As some of the long time members here know, I had a stubborn but (apparently) mild infestation at home. My bites lasted about 6 months total though some were from work. My known infestation only lasted about 4 months. In that time, I was never bitten 10 times a night. My gosh, that would be a lot of bugs. A LOT. I was bitten at the height pretty much 2-3 times, 3-4 times a week, tops.

Have you considered glue traps to rule out mites, or considered maybe that your not being bitten at home?

Interesting about the fumigation, however. I'm so glad I lurked here before starting treatment. I wish you well. But it blows my mind that you could be bitten this much and not find any fecal or even cast skins. In my minor infestation, even I was able to locate both by myself. (Both were located in my sofa, not the bed). And for the record, yes, like most folks I was able to become bb free.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  9. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2015 8:22:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn´t see them, I was at work. He told me over the phone.
    It certainly is disconcerting that they are so good at hiding. But I live in one of those old apartments, lots of old floorboards and wood everywhere.
    I think being bitten in bed despite being isolated is probably due to that my washing machine, also kind of old, may not be getting up to temperature. This is the only explanation, so Im washing bed linens, things are not being killed and Im then putting them back on the bed. Also I havent been isolating the bed 12 inches. Only 8 to 10 inches maybe from the walls.
    As for number of bites. It certainly is worrying to hear that this indicates a high infestation.
    Well I definately feel like Im getting bitten a lot. There was a period of time, where I kept a map of bites, so I could work out if they were new or old ones flaring up again. I gave up as it was just too depressing.
    There are two things I think most mysterious in my situation:
    1. How they found so few
    2. How I never caught any in the interceptor traps or along the duct tape. Even if I was bringing them back into bed with the sheets, surely one at least would have fallen in there. I suspect they can probably walk over this tape.
    All very mysterious.

10. sleepypa

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2015 9:38:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you gone to see a doctor? I know drs can't necessarily tell from skin reactions what bit you, but maybe he/she can rule something out??

I went after being bitten and although everyone reacts differently my dr did not think my bites were bed bug related. They looked more like flea bites and we don't have pets because I am so allergic to animal hair.

That same night we saw a tiny, tiny bug hop on our sheets! From what I've read bed bugs can't jump or fly. We called landlord, exterminator came and he treated our bedroom for bed bugs! We've never seen any other bugs but the exterminator noted a black spot on the mattress which has been there for ages. So like you I don't have a lot of faith in my PCO....

I also think it is odd you haven't seen anything but I would be vacuuming daily and buying new sheets. Good luck

11. bugswillpass

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 3 2015 5:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi sleepless,sorry to hear about your troubles. I've sent you a private message.

12. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 3 2015 10:42:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Some shaky advice being given out above.

Step one always needs to be identification.
    Once you found confirmation, fecal stains, cast skins, bed bugs, then it's time to put a plan of treatment into action. Acting before confirmation of the problem is a bad idea.

13. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2015 14:50:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey there! So an update and a couple of questions. Its been 6 days since our first fumigation with the new company (but 4th in total if we count the not good PCO), and I have been vacuuming constantly. Emptied all my closet space, washed, dried and bagged everything. And I have seen a couple of dead bedbugs caught in the poison gel they put down around the wardrobe.
    My bed is isolated again andthe legs are in little bowls of water and detergent. I shower before going to bed. But still feel like Im being bitten, but not sure if these are old bites flaring up. Im also keeping the dog in the kitchen.
    My questions:
    1. Could my reaction to bites diminish? Or once you react you always react?
    2. This company gives a guarentee of 3 months. How do you know they´re all gone if clearly pheromone traps don´t work and inhabitants may not react?
    3. RE: getting bitten. Im washing these sheets on hot and drying them in a hot drier for half an hour. This should get rid of everything right? That´s what it says on various websites.
    4. Could they be getting into my hair and coming to the bed this way?
    5. Id put sellotape on the ceiling..a 5 cm strip..this should stop them from dropping on me, no?
    5. If they only found 2 instars when they inspected. Does this mean I should be hopeful that we don´t have a big invasion?
    Many many thanks!

14. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2015 14:59:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The pheromone traps are a sketchy product. What do you mean by poison gel? Using bowls of water with detergent for isolation doesn't seem to work as well as professional interception devices.

15. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2015 16:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I cant buy climb up interceptors as Im in Spain. I tried to make some, followed the instructions but I dont think they worked, they didnt catch anything.
    The poison gel is this clear toxic gooey gel that they´ve put around everything, which is why the dog is in the kitchen. Although Im beginning to think they may be in here too.
    So can they get through pools of detergent under the bed legs?
    Thanks!

16. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Dec 7 2015 16:45:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Excellent, you've caught some samples! Can you post an image so that bird and bat bugs can be ruled out? They look almost identical, but could be the reason you still feel as if you're being bitten as their habits differ from the bed bug. It might also explain why your PCO only found two instars and no adults.

17. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2015 5:33:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, One got squished with the vacuum cleaner attachment and a red splurge came out. The other I trapped in tape and flushed down the toilet. It´s definately not animal bugs. They are definately bed bugs!! I live in Europe in the middle of a highly densely populated Metropolis and there´s no nature around. Plus my district is swarming with bedbugs. And this problem started after my flatmate went to the local cinema, which 2 days later was closed due to bed bug infestation.
    I really need to know the absolute best way to monitor their presence.
    As the PCO only has a guarentee of 3 months. I fear my reactions may diminish over time. So I need to know if there are any left after they stop spraying. What is the aboslute best product for this on the market? Or the best couple of products? Is it worth me buying those Climb Up Interceptors? Like I say I tried to make them but it didn´t seem to work. Anything else?
    As even though I´m in Spain, I can get a friend to buy something in the States and send it out to me.
    Like I say, I suspect it´s a low invasion..perhaps this equally makes it difficult to detect.
    Mil thanks!!

18. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2015 8:46:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Something isn't making sense. Please post an image so that we can be sure what the problem is.

19. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 8 2015 9:05:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If you get rid of your homemade interceptor devices, you could try David Cain's passive. On tough jobs, I have success with the professional climb ups, as well as my own devices.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,799 posts in 50,040 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen