Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

3 months clear & just found a cast skin

(15 posts)
  1. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 11:41:15
    #

Login to Send PM

So on 10/15 it was 3 months since my last treatment. No signs since then at all. I have a passive monitor, I ran the beacon for 2 weeks and I have had climb ups on the beds since June 15 - no evidence whatsoever.

Today I look down while sitting at the computer and see what looks like a cast skin - now I examine every bit of fluff I see so I was not concerned yet. I look at it under a magnifying glass and it looks like a cast skin. no head or legs, but a body in two parts. I had just changed my shirt from an airtite bin in which everything has been washed and dried numerous times. I don't leave any clothes out.

Should I be concerned? I admit I am very upset and worried. I have not seen any evidence and no bites on anybody. I have even checked the dog. I emptied the bin directly into the dry and cleaned it out with alcohol. I did receive a fabric delivery today which I opened outside and placed in a contractors bag duct taped shuts (still outside) until I can get it into a commercial dryer.

I don't know if I can post a picture. It is pretty small (would be a nymph) and really fragile now. Is on a piece of tape too.

Words of wisdom anyone?

2. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 12:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Try to get a picture up so that one of the experts can see it. Maybe, it's not a cast skin after all.
    Good luck.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 12:17:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would firstly have it confirmed and secondly not worry too much as cast skins can appear long after bedbugs are no longer an issue.

Although they are a confirming sign that bedbugs have been about they cant confirm an active infestation.

It may however help you to understand where you are got them from if you feel the skin may have been recently brought in on clothes.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. PANewBugger

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 12:29:15
    #

Login to Send PM

After 3 months of no BBs and with all the precautions you have put into place, I can only imagine how upsetting it must have been when you found the cast skin. Hopefully, it's nothing and all is in the clear!

5. bug-tired

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 12:35:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully, it's just an old one that has surfaced. Stay vigilant!

6. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 13:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you guys - you are the best! David - I guess skins do show up from time to time after an infestation? My husband is convinced we no longer have them. The fact that I am alway checking EVERYTHING, sheets, beds, floor, climb ups and no one has had bites is fairly good proof they are gone. Still I know they are tough. Since I live in a house also, I know neighbors are not an issue.

I did e-mail Lou Sorkin and he has agreed to look at it. It is so broken up I hope he can figure it out. I will attempt to get a picture but it is really hard to tell even under 10x magnification.

Maybe because it is so light it got stirred up from something and landed on me.

Again - thank you guys - the support really helps!

7. controlfreak

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 13:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry to hear this. Don't these bugs have blood meal before casting skin? Since nobody in your house has new bites shouldn't this be an old bug (I am assuming everyone reacts in your family?)...

8. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 13:59:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I do think it is old - it had no legs and is not "whole" we are reactors and nobody has any bites - not since early July. We had a pretty heavy treatment too.

It is just so disconcerting that you work so hard at it, do everything you are supposed to do, wait it out and just when you think you are doing good - BAM you find something to bring you back to the way you felt months before.

I am hoping Lou Sorkin can ID it and tell me it is something else and that I am only paranoid!

9. Louise

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 18 2010 14:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh. Here's to it being:

1.) nothing
    2.) an old, dried up, dessicated cast skin of a long-dead bed bug
    3.) nothing

I'm *still* examining pieces of lint that I find on the beds...and we never even had them at home (at least not yet...).

10. bugnut

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 14:48:25
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE:

Dr. Sorkin graciously agreed to ID my cast skin and e-mailed me that it does not look like a bed bug.

What a relief! Thanks to all who replied - you buoyed me!

11. bug-tired

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 15:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Yay! Good news!

12. Louise

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 20 2010 23:22:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hurray!!!

13. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 21 2010 0:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome!

14. bughater2010

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 14:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

How do I e-mail Dr. Sorkin?

15. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 15:16:31
    #

Login to Send PM

YAY!!!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,336 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14