2nd time around and I'm losing it. [a: likely bed bugs, not closely related]

(52 posts)
  1. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 18 2015 18:47:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Last friday night I found a bedbug crawling on me and I got a nasty rash. I immediately showed my husband who just held his head and said "well here we go again". We got bedbugs a few years ago in 11' and it originated in the same room. We live in a duplex and I highly suspect that it's coming from my elderly yet spry partying neighbor who likes to play his guitar at all hours of the night. The first time our neighbor denied up and down that nothing was wrong with HER SIDE of the duplex. Her son passed away and she ended up moving in with her daughter. I then found out her son was a really bad whino and he slept on the streets sometimes(well solved that mystery). We got a new neighbor(the guitar playing hero) and hoped for the best until this bug came around. ugh.
    I spent all weekend bagging up the things we wanted to keep, throwing things away(mattresses mainly etc.) and just basically clearing out the rooms down to nothing except the trash bags full of stuff. After going to the laundromat and getting everything washed we put them in new trash bags and put those in plastic bins.
    Monday morning I went to our landlord and informed them of the problem. They said they had good results with heating the house up and getting rid of them. I spent most of the 30 minute conversation telling them over and over that the rooms are cleared out and yes we did throw everything in the dryer ugh(they wouldn't stand near us nor look us in the eye). They kept trying to make it sound like it was our fault but I finally threw my hands up and said I would do the home heating treatment but I would also like an exterminator to do a follow up so they don't come back. They were very resistant to this but I told them they had to do something else besides just sending maintenance around with the heaters.
    It's now wednesday and they still haven't come to heat the house but instead stopped by to let me know they'll be by tomorrow to fill holes and foam the windows so they can heat treatment on friday. Both times these men came to the house they keep telling me that they are probably in the couch(we haven't gotten bit since everything is in bags and the mattresses are gone) and we haven't spied any bedbugs anywhere else in the house except the bedrooms. The last guy who came to measure the windows made sure to stand on my front door step and spray himself with bedbug spray. I can't even put into words how humiliating this whole process has been. Our landlord and the people who are supposedly supposed to help us cringe when they talk to us. I want to yell out "hey! please stop going eww! please stop cringing at us!". I want to say that we are very private people and maybe this is coming from next door!. I want to say that I can't sleep at night because I'm scared my two year old and my 10 year old might get bit again(they haven't yet since we cleared out everything). I've spent the last 2 days putting my whole house in plastic bags because we haven't had clear instructions on what to do. I've had to throw away things it took us years to accumulate. I've actually sat down and made a list on how many people we've had in the house and we realized that no one spent the night. I'm so petrified that this won't work and all this humiliation isn't going to be worth it. I've cried so many times that I've finally gone to anger and then this deep depression. This feeling on my chest won't go away and this morning I had the irrational thought of knocking on my neighbors door and yelling at him because of this. I find myself being mad at my husband because he isn't here during the day and I've had to deal with this mostly by myself, I know he has to work but I feel alone in this. I haven't told anyone really what is going on and I'm scared to because I'm tired of seeing that cringing face. I went to the grocery store today and I was so paranoid I'm going to infect someone even though I changed into new clothes before I left the house. I'm scared people are going to find out and point us out as trashy people even though I keep an immaculate house.
    My husband says to keep positive because we are number 11 to be transferred into a single house and we won't have to deal with this duplex nightmare anymore. The kicker of this whole thing is the horror stories haven't even come close to what we've been dealing with so this apartment isn't that bad as we thought?. If this doesn't work I might just have to send my kids away until this whole place is cleared out and I'm trying not to do that. I feel hollowed out and humiliated, I'm gonna go cry now.

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 18 2015 23:27:40
    #

Login to Send PM

1.its not your fault
    2. Take it one step at a time
    3. You will get through this. ((Hugs))

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 20 2015 10:08:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert but I would demand that the landlord have a PCO inspect the other side of the duplex. Also, having maintenance (not a pest management company) doing heat treatment worries me (as far as effectiveness goes).

I'm sorry for your anxiety and pain. I would recommend taking some deep breaths, maybe brewing some camomile tea and sitting down to read the FAQ's on this site.

Hopefully an expert will be along to comment also. They stay pretty busy.

There are a lot of good, supportive people on this site (like robinsmom) that are going through the same thing.

4. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 20 2015 10:12:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Regarding the sofa, please take a look at the recent thread about not throwing furniture away. There are options, including sofa encasements.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 20 2015 10:29:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I've spent the last 2 days putting my whole house in plastic bags because we haven't had clear instructions on what to do. I've had to throw away things it took us years to accumulate.

I am sorry you did that. It is likely unnecessary and may be unhelpful.

Your landlord needs to have the attached neighbor inspected.

It wasn't clear to me that you meant the landlord does their own heat treatment. If so, that is a concern.

On the other hand, is all of this in response to finding one bed bug? Are you finding fecal stains? If not, it may be a closely related species (bat bugs or bird bugs).

Have you got the sample? If so, post a photo.

My husband says to keep positive because we are number 11 to be transferred into a single house and we won't have to deal with this duplex nightmare anymore.

Is this privately-owned housing?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 0:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry I haven't replied back but I got sick on friday as we were out of the house. This is public housing authority we are dealing with and it hasn't gone very well. I almost up and left on thursday because they hadn't shown up to do anything but my husband made me stay. They showed up on Friday morning to put foam on the windows and Heated the whole house for about 5 hours. My husband is confident that the treatment worked but I'm not eager to move back into the rooms anytime soon. We still have our clothes in plastic bins with trash bags and our mattress is still sitting out back because again my husband is at work and I can't haul it away by myself. My daughter kept her mattress and it's still in her room encased in the mattress cover but I'm still really eerie about even letting her back in there because most of her things are in plastic bags still and I'm scared they'll come back. My husband thinks I'm crazy because he thinks they are all dead and I'm not so sure this time tbh because this one was worse than before. We found them in both bedrooms this time and in their clothes so I can't be still about this one. I would post a picture of the bugs but it's not a clear one but yeah they were bedbugs for sure. We found nymphs and a fullgrown female I had to google to verify. I want to leave but my husband is all gung ho that this procedure worked...to be honest I've been the one home to deal with all of this. I've had to bag mostly everything and sit at the laundromat for hours so things could dry. I'm totally exhausted and I would rather just leave things in bags at this point so I don't have to unpack just to pack it all back up again.

7. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 0:17:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm beginning to think I probably shouldn't have put everything in plastic bags but the guys who came never said a word about anything in fact they just said we had to leave and to be back at 5pm. I'm sorry I'm really stressed out I've been dealing with this on my own because my husband works. I just spent most of today cleaning out my cupboards because the heat cooked the cans that were in my cupboard. I can't bring myself to enter the rooms at all plus I have a cold.

8. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 11:33:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed Bugs
    I don't know if the other one got posted but here is the one we just found this morning. The heating treatment was on friday and it's sunday. So it definitely didn't work.
    I don't know what we can do at this point the house is all bagged up and we are living out of plastic bins plus this bug we just found was on the air mattress in the living room and up until this point we haven't found any in the living room so they traveled from room to room. I'm at a loss so now I'm off to the laundry mat again because I have to dry the blankets the girls were sleeping on again. I feel like giving up because housing probably won't do anything again and I don't think it's working if they haven't even bothered to do the other apartment.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 11:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyDisgusted,

I understand you to be saying you got structural heat treatment (where they heat your entire home up to 140F for 4+ hours). Is this correct?

And you bagged all your stuff before treatment?

Did the company give you prep instructions? I am not an expert but my understanding is that usually bagging is not part of prep for heat treatment. You may be sealing bed bugs in. Of course, if they told you to do it, that's another story.

If they did not instruct it, then it could be the reason for failure-- but only if the bags are now unsealed or unpacked.

If the items remain sealed in plastic, you could have some survivors, which we are told can happen with heat treatment. Many companies apply dusts or sprays after heat treatment for this reason, to kill any stragglers.

I would definitely get in touch with the company and tell them you're finding live bugs, and save any samples, and see what they say.

10. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 12:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not a company we are going through but the public housing authority is the one doing the heating treatments. Apparently a number of houses through them have bedbugs and they have had a "high rate" of kill. The argument I've had with them is that it's completely useless to do the heating treatment if they haven't even tested the apartment next door. My husband said tonight we'll just unbag everything in the rooms and in the house so the next time they do the heating treatment the heat gets to everything. At this point we don't know what else we can do and we didn't hear anything back about them coming back and spraying that's what I was arguing about with them at housing when I reported it that if they would do the heating treatment and bring in an exterminator for the aftermath but according to them it's to expensive "and probably won't work". All we can do is go back up in the morning and report that we found another one.

11. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 12:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I just realized what I posted sounding wierd but yeah they didn't come back to spray or do anything after the heating treatment.

12. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 12:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I just remembered something. The guy doing the heat treatment said we had to get the house to at least 130 degrees. I don't know if that makes a difference or not?

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Mar 22 2015 16:03:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutelydisgusted - 3 hours ago  » 
    I just remembered something. The guy doing the heat treatment said we had to get the house to at least 130 degrees. I don't know if that makes a difference or not?

They need to get everything up to 120F and hold it there but we're told by pros this means in effect getting it up to 140F so that everything really did reach 120F and get held there long enough.

It may be they're monitoring temps and getting this done, but you're right that not inspecting attached neighbors before treatment is a problem.

They should also give out explicit instructions on prep beforehand.

14. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Mar 25 2015 16:38:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for getting back so late but we have been going back and forth with housing and they are going to do another heat treatment tomorrow. We pulled the couch back and we found a couple dead ones after we pulled the couch bottom off. So tonight we are going to have to take the couch bottom off and he's going to spray the interior just to be safe and they are going to do the whole house this time. Before they never even did the laundry room but they are going to do it now so now I'm at a loss he keeps saying it's not as bad as all what we were saying but I told him we are still getting bit. So tonight we are going to take the things out of the plastic bags in the rooms and in the closet so the heat can get to everything. I did tell him that we have been doing everything we can so I'm at a loss if this doesn't work.

15. trinimami

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Mar 26 2015 18:49:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope it works for you love

16. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Mar 27 2015 20:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm starting to feel like this is a blog now.
    We just got home this morning the heaters they were using had trouble heating up the whole house since they included the laundry room. We ended up spending the night at my MILs house but I will be truthful when I say that I checked us all over before we even went inside(even though we changed into new clothes before leaving house). My husband said everything would be fine and I told him that this has given me a new paranoia on life and I don't know how much longer I can keep doing what we are doing. I found some dead bugs on the floor but they turned out be carpet beetle larvae so that was a relief but we didn't find any dead bedbugs. If they come back then we are getting rid of the couch but at this point I might as well throw out the whole house because well we don't have anything else left except the kitchen table and a couple nightstands we were able to save. I feel like if we get bit even once then they are back and my anxiety has gotten so bad that I don't want to leave the house because I feel like everyone is staring at us. No one ever talks about the stigma associated with these but I will say this. I live in a small town and if you have them then you are immediately painted as a bad person. I hope hope hope and pray tomorrow I will wake up with no bites on me and my kids.

17. scared_and_uncertain

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Mar 28 2015 14:23:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so sorry you are going through this. I wish I could offer you amazing reassurance. I hope things resolve quickly and that you find some peace soon, whether you end up moving or not.

18. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 1 2015 3:06:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Well we have not had any bites since the bed bug heating treatment. It was actually well and fine until a week and a half ago *sigh*. My uncle called and said he was coming to visit for my nephews graduation. I informed him that we had battled bed bugs but we have not seen any since the last heating treatment and the guy sprayed the whole house. He said he knew what heating treatments are because he has neighbors that are not the "tidiest" of people. So we got the room together that we haven't touched since the heating treatment. It held my daughters toys which we carefully inspected and found nothing. We had two twin bed frames in the rooms with one mattress that we managed to save. We even made a trip out of town to buy another mattress cover(bedbug proof again) and twin coverings with a pillow. I inspected the hell out of the room and found absolutely nothing. I taped the bottom of the twin bed frames in case(I dont know what the heck I was thinking tbh but I was panicking). So he came to visit and on the first day we had a good talk where he told me that he had a bedbug problem at his apartment building and the whole floor had been treated.
    We might have gotten them from him...he did stay for 2 weeks during christmas and it was in march that I got bit by the first bug. So I asked all the dutiful questions and he said they were all gone and the apartment building he was in was treated completely(heating treatments, spraying, dusting etc.) all the things he was saying was that it sounded like he got more help with the bedbugs than we did
    So he has been here for almost two weeks and he leaves friday. Today I actually moved the couches around and vacuumed beneath them. My husband came home from work and he moved one couch(its a sectional) towards the tv so he could play his game. Well we ended up watching the new GOT episode when I felt itching on one foot and then itching on the other. I assumed it was because I was outside earlier with the kids. Well then I was itching my ankle when I smashed something and I went to the bathroom to look. It was another bedbug
    I freaked out and busted out crying to which my husband was shocked and very pissed. At first it was denial on his part because I was outside and it could have been a tick etc. But then I looked at it under the microscope(thank you discovery junior microscope!) and confirmed it with google images. We have been sleeping in the living room on a blow up mattress and up until this point we haven't seen any or been bitten by anything. My husband has never reacted to them but I sure do since I caught one in its feeding which will have been twice now.
    My husband says he wants to wait a week to see if we get bit anymore. I could say they came from my uncle who is still here or I could say that they traveled back from next door. But I'm pointing towards the first one. I've asked my uncle and he said that he hasn't been bit since he's been here but I did find a very nasty looking cockroach in my bathroom at 3 in the morning last thursday. I've never had any cockroaches EVER in this house and I've lived here 14 years. In fact besides the bedbugs I can actually name off the bugs we do find every now and then(water beetles, carpet beetles in the pantry and the random spider etc.). After a google search it turned out to be a German Cockroach and I haven't seen any since.
    At this point I want to run screaming but I know it won't do any good. You know since this whole thing started we got the heating treatments the same time as the other apartment up on the hill. It's boarded up now and I assume the tenants either left or they were moved because the bedbugs were so bad. I assume by friday I'll be getting rid of my couch and the remaining twin beds in the other room when my uncle leaves. Tomorrow I'll be washing and drying all our clothes again so they can be put into plastic bags in the bins again(we've been doing this but without the plastic bags). I could talk to my uncle again but I'm not even going to bother I'll just go into bedbug mode again. It's a good thing we already dealt with these just a couple months ago because things are still packed up and in big plastic ziploc bags and trash bags. I feel bad my daughters have already said goodbye to everything and if we have to go through this again it means we'll lose it all. I can't even be upset just shocked. To top it off my dog who is 7 just got done dealing with dog lice(thank you overnight stay at vet) and we just got rid of that but she's been sick and has had an allergy outbreak to the medicine so we have to bring her back to the vet again. Thankfully the other dog hasn't picked up anything but I'll be inspecting them both tomorrow again just to be safe like I do everyday.
    I thought things were getting on track but I guess this time things will be easier since the house is pretty much cleaned out and all we basically have is the things that survived the last heating treatment and we'll be getting rid of more stuff.... I keep going through scenarios about where they could have come from and I don't know anymore.

19. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 1 2015 3:06:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know how to delete and the computer just double posted the above sorry

20. trinimami

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 1 2015 6:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry luv this really sucks

21. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 1 2015 14:26:42
    #

Login to Send PM

It does sound like your uncle might have introduced them, and as a guest in your home, I'd demand he put his clothes through the dryer before allowing him to visit for an extended time if he stays again. But nope, I don't think anyone can be 100% sure at this point.

I'm not sure you need to throw out the couch, unless you were planning on it anyway. There are ways to treat a couch--CimeXa, dvpp strips and banana bags. Mattresses can be encased.

Hoping an expert weighs in here for you. I'm sorry you're going through this again.

22. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 0:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Right now I'm just getting done with washing/drying our clothes. I'm gonna wait until my uncle leaves and then we can go full force. I haven't really told my kids anything but just said we needed to take precautions again etc. Through this whole thing we spent our savings and this has totally wiped us out and we didn't even have to pay for the heating treatments. It was all the plastic bags, trips to the laundry mat, buying plastic bins etc etc etc. If we have to get rid of the couch then right now it's not a big deal. We probably won't be able to afford another couch until next year but I guess it's better to be safe rather than sorry. We can't afford all that your naming and I guess the only thing to do is get rid of the couch and the other items then tell housing that they came back and see where to go from there. I'm sorry not trying to sound negative but it's been tough and the only thing I'm thankful for right now is that we know what we have to do and hopefully housing doesn't give us a hard time again.

23. paranoidaboutbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 1:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

My deepest condolences on your situation. You may want to try DE or CimeXa. It's currently on Amazon for less than $20. The bottle is small, so if that doesn't cover all that you need DE might help. It's fairly inexpensive (like 10lbs for $20 inexpensive). It's a whole lot cheaper than an exterminator/heat-treatment again. If you feel you can't save the couch, dispose of it responsibly please.

In any regard, your situation sounds most unfortunate and I hope it really does get better soon. In the meantime, stay hopeful... and do whatever it is that you need to do about your uncle. Have hope and good luck!

Let's get down the business... to defeat... the bugs. HWAH!
  24. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 12:14:59
    #

Login to Send PM

We could treat the couch but I'm really eerie since we have a toddler and two small dogs. I don't want to get them sick plus the couch is like leather and the cushions don't come off so I don't see how we'll be able to treat it carefully without making a complete mess lol.

25. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 12:53:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:
    Housing stopped by to see about the bedbugs and I told them about the one I found and he was not happy. He said that the heating treatment can't get all the way into the couch and they are probably hiding in the cushions etc. He said he would put me down for another heating treatment and spray with a new thing they are trying so hopefully it'll work this time around. I told him that I'm taking all the precautions I can take and after this we won't have anything left basically except a few stands that we were able to save. I'm trying not to panic and I'm gulping a lot as I'm typing this. I've heard horror stories about how it's been so bad that they fall from the lighting fixtures and climb walls but I haven't seen that yet(thank god). It's quite possible that they are in the couch and that's where they are coming from. He did check my uncles room but he didn't see anything in there and I told him that we have 2 plastic things on the mattress and he said that deters them. But he really didn't check all the way through the house and in fact seemed rather scared but he was nice about the whole thing but just said he'll push through another heating treatment/spray.

26. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 13:54:15
    #

Login to Send PM

They need to get everything up to 120F and hold it there but we're told by pros this means in effect getting it up to 140F so that everything really did reach 120F and get held there long enough.
    Actually 122F is the lethal point. 120F obviously works but it isn't immediate.
    Just heating for a few hours and not measuring the actual temperatures in many different places will not work completely.
    Right now I'm just getting done with washing/drying our clothes. He did check my uncles room but he didn't see anything in there and I told him that we have 2 plastic things on the mattress and he said that deters them.
    The encasements don't really deter them at all. Do you know if any dessicant dusts or insecticidal dusts are applied such as in voids in combination with the heat treatment? Heat can penetrate if probes have been placed in the couch so they know how hot it really gets in there. If your items have been bagged, are these being treated, too? All just left in the rooms that are being heat treated? Sealed shut or open? If clothes are clean, just dry them; no need to wash and dry.
    Also, why did you throw so much away. Heat treating an entire home lets you keep items so all are heat treated (for the proper time exposure, too).

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  27. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 14:32:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Right now I'm pointing towards the couch since I moved it and I got bit that night. As of right now none of us has gotten bit except me that night on the couch. This has been hell on earth and everything we are doing isn't working if they are still here. Right now it's a battle we aren't winning and right now we can't afford anymore plastic bags or trips to the laundromat. All I can do is throw things in my little dryer here at the house and hope for the best because we are literally tapped out.

28. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 14:35:34
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the regular housing authority we are dealing with all they have been doing is using bug bombs, heating treatments and spraying("apparently" I havent seen that at all).
    We are part of a duplex and they aren't treating next door so I think right now nothing is going to work.

29. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 14:57:07
    #

Login to Send PM

This is the regular housing authority we are dealing with all they have been doing is using bug bombs, heating treatments and spraying("apparently" I havent seen that at all).
    We are part of a duplex and they aren't treating next door so I think right now nothing is going to work.
    Due to their treatment regime, they are very well creating a big mess. Not inspecting or treating next door? Another big mess. But they must have received directions from someone, some company?

30. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 15:09:05
    #

Login to Send PM

deleted at user request

31. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 15:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

After the second heating treatment I called head of maintenance to see what the plan of action was going to be if they came back and all he said was they were going to have to do another heating treatment and spray again and this was after he declared up and down that his man was outside throwing up after spraying the house.
    Is there a pest control company that is doing both heat and insecticide application or maintenance does one or both?

32. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 15:35:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Right now it's all maintenence doing everything.
    They bought their own heaters etc. and according to them are using the same stuff the pesticide guy would use. After talking to the guy today he just said if we have one then they are back but he didn't even bother check through the whole house just my uncles bed and the couch.

33. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 15:36:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I also forgot that they said they were paying for a pest control guy at one time but it never worked so they had to resort to doing their own treatments.

34. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 15:41:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It's funny through this whole thing we haven't seen a whole bunch just the 3 we caught after the 1st heating treatment and the two dead ones(after the second heating treatment in the bathroom that was on top of the toilet. Plus the one I found the other night after it bit me. I cleaned out my whole kitchen and found only dead carpet beetles and two live carpet beetles that were trying to get into the dog food. My husband sprayed the whole kitchen and we cleaned everything and bagged up what we don't use. I even put my rice and everything else perishable in ziploc bags etc. so that's all cleaned out.

35. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 15:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutelydisgusted - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Right now it's all maintenence doing everything.
    They bought their own heaters etc. and according to them are using the same stuff the pesticide guy would use. After talking to the guy today he just said if we have one then they are back but he didn't even bother check through the whole house just my uncles bed and the couch.

People doing heat treatment without a lot of professional experience and professional equipment and protocols (if that's the case) is not likely to work.

If you were in NY, my understanding is it would be illegal for anyone to apply pesticides in your home without an applicator's licence. This may apply in other places too-- you'd have to check. No one with bed bug treatment experience would use bug bombs, which are known to be ineffective and can even possibly spread the problem.

Sorry that all isn't very encouraging. Does your city or county have a department which takes bed bug complaints or inspect for bed bugs? In some cases this can help.

36. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 15:52:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you ruled out closely related species? (A related question: have you seen fecal stains?)

37. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 16:28:37
    #

Login to Send PM

deleted at user request

38. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 17:33:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I've looked through everything and gotten on my hands to look at the floor close up with a magnifying glass but the floor is tile and I don't know what I'm looking for.
    Look at my pictures and videos https://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/ https://www.youtube.com/user/lougentpix/videos for some assistance.

39. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 18:44:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you.
    I looked at the heating vents and all around but most of the edge tile is broken from when a carpet used to be in here. The plastic molding is like half an inch above the tile floor in the living room so if the bugs are here they have more than enough ways to get into the walls and hide

40. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 23:53:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The reason I asked about fecal stains is that if you don't have any, it might be closely related species (bat or bird bug). That would explain treatment not working, recurrence.

Other signs include bats or birds nesting on, in or near house.

This problem can also be solved and it's important to ID correctly to address the cause.

41. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 5:19:08
    #

Login to Send PM

As nobugs points out, cimicid bugs related to the common bed bug behave differently, but they look very similar to the untrained eye, so a correct identification is important. The personnel you have for treating should be aware of this. Do you know if there is a bat problem in your home?

42. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 13:07:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband just got done looking in the ceiling and no bats or birds. I really wish I could post better pictures of the bugs but all I have is my iphone and it doesn't take very good pictures closeup of the bugs. I posted a couple pictures of what we found the first few times.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132163998@N08/sets/72157651492854011

43. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 15:22:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Looks good for common bed bug rather than bird bugs and likely not bat bugs.

44. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 16:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for identifying.
    We spent most of today trying to talk to head of housing but he's out since monday and I haven't heard anything back about the visit yesterday. Today I'm trying to borrow a truck so we can move the couch and get rid of it. Luckily the local dump site said they would take it and dispose of it. I was so scared that they wouldn't take it but they said they have ways of getting rid of it.
    As of right now we are weighing the pros and cons of the situation and if housing doesn't want to deal with this problem in the way they should then we are going to make plans of just moving. Reading through everything on this site it just sounds like it's not going to get any better with the way they are handling this. I'm doing everything I can on my part to keep out the bugs on our clothes and in the house but I feel like it's for nothing if they are still here. We will be going on our third heating treatment if they ever get around to it

45. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 16:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

After the couch leaves today we will be down to air mattresses and the table/chairs. And I cannot see us even buying new furniture if they are still here.

46. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 17:14:54
    #

Login to Send PM

also forgot that they said they were paying for a pest control guy at one time but it never worked so they had to resort to doing their own treatments.
    So non-pest control personnel are doing the work? Heat and insecticide application?

47. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 17:16:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep the maintenence people are doing all the heating/spraying which makes this all the more difficult.

48. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jun 4 2015 12:16:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:
    Housing Maintenance stopped by this morning and informed us that a pesticide guy will be coming here in the next two weeks to do a heating treatment and actually spray. Apparently housing's efforts have not been working so they actually had to shell out the bucks to a pest guy to come in and work on all the houses. I expressed my difficulty with the guy about how we are constantly in bug mode like drying everything and everything we use is in plastic bags etc. He just said that I can see that your doing everything and hopefully this will work and just follow the checklist etc. This is the checklist he gave me.
    Heating Treatment Checklist:
    1. Strip the beds and launder all sheets, pillowcases, mattress pads and Blankets.

2. Remove everything from bedroom closets and place in sealed plastic bags.

3. Remove Everything from dresser drawers, nightstands and dressing tables and place in sealed plastic bags.

4. Have all clothing and fabrics laundered(hot wash/hot dryer cycle) or dry cleaned.

5. Remove drapes and have them laundered, dry cleaned or replaced.

6. Discard Cardboard Boxes, Shoeboxes, paper and plastic bags, old newspapers, stacks of magazines and similar items in all potentially infested rooms.

7. Vacuum all infested rooms, including the floor, mattresses, bedsprings, couches, chairs closets and closet shelves, shoes, inside dresser drawers and bedside drawers. Vacuum bags are to be placed in a sealed plastic bag and discarded.

Not to sound completely sarcastic but we do most of the above almost everyday. The closets are all in plastic bags already because after the second heating treatment we bagged up what we wanted to keep into plastic bags and 2 gallon ziploc bags. We don't have beds but air up mattresses which I vacuum everyday and the blankets are put into the dryer for two cycles of 75 minutes on HOT. All of our clothes are already in plastic bags in plastic bins and whatever I wash out of those bins are in the dryer for two cycles. I am vacuuming constantly in every nook and cranny I can get into. Basically the house is in a constant state of panic.

The maintenance guy is going to go next door and inform them that they should consider doing the heating treatment as well since it is a duplex. This was after I told him that this will be our third round of heating treaments and I don't see how it's going to work if they don't want to treat next door because we are doing all that we can and we've been doing it and after a month being clear they came back. I guess my neighbors are still saying that they don't have them but I just want this to be the last heating treatment they do because I can't afford this anymore.

49. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2015 22:41:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Update:
    The pesticide guy came today and inspected the whole house and requested that we leave for a couple hours. Housing maintenance was with him as well and they were horrified that we got rid of the couches because they were leather and expensive.
    The pesticide guy used a trailer that had heaters on it so they carried out what we had and put it all in the trailer for a couple of hours. The only mattress we had went out as well, they stripped the coverings off and put it inside the heating trailer. I was kinda peeved about that because we just bought a bedbug cover for it but since they heated it up and sprayed it then I guess it should be okay. I'll just have to buy another cover for it when I get a chance. I had a good cry about my couches yesterday when we got rid of them but I think they were just to far gone and even if we did keep it I probably wouldn't even sit on it even with the heating treatment etc. (paranoid). The pest guy was very understanding and kept saying "Its okay! I'm here to help" so that was nice because up until this point all we've been getting is horrible glances and pointed fingers at us from housing about how we aren't doing what we should.
    He sprayed the house down and I called him when we got home and he said not to clean the floors for a few days and if we did mop just not to mop close to the wall. Every person that came to help was in blue coverings. Housing admitted that they have 12 houses who have bedbugs and they finally had to resort to using the pest control guy because what they were doing, wasn't working. I looked him up on the internet and he is soley a bedbug exterminator so that's relieving.
    He did say that we were the most prepared house so far and I told him its because I'm on bedbugger.com forums and they give great advice. He also warned about bad information and just be weary and if I had any questions just to call him.

So here we are Back to counting down the days.
    Day 1 (bedbug clear)

ps. crossing our fingers!

50. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2015 15:06:53
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE:
    The Bedbug Pest control guy came today and I told him that we haven't had any bites since he came last and it's been about 30 days. He said if we had anymore than we would have been bit by now and we haven't except for the occasional spider bite but no bites like bedbug bites(I know by now what they look like). He said he was going to be working with our housing authority so if they came back then he would come back to spray and heat things up. I can't even put into words how relieved this all makes me. I've been taking so many precautions since this whole thing started that its nice to get a free and clear. He said give it another 30 days to be cautionary but so far he's seen worse houses than ours. I guess a house up the road had them pretty bad to the point where they had to move out and they knocked down walls and it was just a ball of bugs in the framing of the house etc. (EW!!) so if anyone has any suggestions for us after this it would be much appreciated. I want to thank everyone who has messaged me and given me suggestions about this ordeal because without you guys we wouldn't have made it. If this didn't work we were already considering moving out next month and breaking our lease. (hugs and high fives!!)

51. Mitchygirl

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2015 16:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutelydisgusted - 1 hour ago  » 
    UPDATE:
    I guess a house up the road had them pretty bad to the point where they had to move out and they knocked down walls and it was just a ball of bugs in the framing of the house etc.

*Shudder* I'm so happy for you that it seems you're in the clear. If you want some advice going forward I can tell you what we did. We developed a bed bug protocol to follow, which we did more or less for the first few years out (then we got a little sloppy). 1. After traveling--even if we didn't see BBs in the place we immediately put our stuff into the dryer upon getting home. 2. Always ask people if they have or have had a bed bug problem before letting them stay at our house. 3. Limited ordering clothes/furniture online 4. Never buy fabric goods from thrift stores or second hand shops. You might also want to set up passive monitors for good and keep your bed away from the walls. Even with all of that, it's still possible to bring them home (as we can attest). It eases my mind remembering that there are effective ways to deal with it though.

I hope this helps and I hope you guys stay bed bug free forever.

52. Absolutelydisgusted

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 26 2015 3:12:33
    #

Login to Send PM

deleted at user request

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316