Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

2 questions questions for Killer Queen or other godlike PCOs?

(7 posts)
  1. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2009 12:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    I'm a newbite from chicago. I bought a brand new sleeper sofa that came with an evil "bonus" and because it was new it never occurred to me that the bites i got within 3 days of having it might be bedbugs until a PCO came to treat for possible fleas, saw a cast bedbug skin on sofa and said it was infested. In the month since getting the new sofa i managed to spread them to my bedroom and a sunroom (my evening routine = i sit on new sofa to watch some tv, go into back sunroom and play with dog, check email in my office, and go to bed -so i was bedbug vector to almost all other parts of the apartment. ARGH). Anyway, I spent 4 days washing, drying bagging all clothing as per PCO requests -also removed switchplates, outlet covers, etc all over apartment although he ended up not reating any of them, don't know why.
    He came and treated with steam on sofa and bed, Bedlam on sofa and bed, and phantom on bedroom baseboards, sunroom baseboards, living room baseboards. He didn't treat any of the switchplates or anything in my office despite my request to treat the office (i've been bitten in there -but he said he couldn't find evidence of activity - i have 2 desks, 2 computer chairs, a lateral file, a bookcase and a dresser for off season clothing-he only inspected for -i'm not kidding, 2 minutes-scanned the room and said "no acitivity").

I know, get to my questions (thank you for your patience with my babbling. I think bedbugs cause babbling, at least they seem to in me)

Question1 -since he did not treat in there, can i steam, let dry, and then dust DE (lightly and safely, i read the insanely helpful FAQ and bought a respirator)? i know he doesn't want me doing anything (steaming or vacuuming or mopping or anything) in the rooms he put phantom. Could steaming in an untreated room somehow mess up what he has done in the treated rooms? Note: the office and bedroom share one wall which i could avoid steaming. I do not want to mess up his work, obviously, but also do not want to keep getting bitten in my office (i spend alot of time in there because i am currently working from home). I'll definitely steam all the furniture in there myself (fun weekend ahead) but what about the baseboards?

Question 2 - he used phantom at .125% (i know because he left a list of what was done and where). But everything I've read on here seems to imply it should be .5%? Should i worry it is such a low concentration? Ask him why it is so low? (I don't want to anger him by asking too many questions)

PCO's manager said i should schedule next treatment in 10 days, my PCO says 14 is better. I'm assuming he (PCO) is right, but let me know because I'm the one who schedules the next (final) treatment and i want to get it right (though they'll come back for a month after second treatment if there is evidence - i bought some climbups).

Thank you thank you thank you in advance for answering -this site is so incredibly helpful. Killer Queen, if you read this -please consider cloning yourself and sending a clone to Chicago. Or --maybe a road trip? Soon? I'll pay for an inspection, treatment, AND treat you to all the deep dish chicago pizza you could eat (and no snarky comments on chicago vs new york pizza please. all pizza is good-- they are just different. three cheers for pizza diversity!)

2. BBCOUKonTour

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 23 2009 22:08:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not sure if I classify as godlike (most would say I work for the opposition). I cant comment on the choice of chemical because we have different active in the UK but the timing of the second visit should be at least 14 days after the first and more likely 16 - 17 days after.

This is to take into account egg hatching times for any eggs that they may have missed or not treated for.

If you have persistent activity you may need to check with adjoining neighbours. My logo was spotted in the airport tonight and I ended up having a log chat with one of the airport workers about bed bugs and how friends of his keep getting them, some work related and other from adjoining neighbours. Often they do the move to attempt to get rid of them but don't realise how hard that is to do correctly.

With regards not doing the switch plates etc it rather depends on if activity was in those areas. I actually find that infestation of plug sockets and outlets is rare in cases where the outlets are not extremely close to the main infected area or in advanced infestations. Even in cases where I do see it I prefer manual removal over chemical treatment in those locations.

Hope that helps, I will have a word with my mate George who owns two of the sets of cloning patents to see if there is any advances but sadly the process as it currently stands is not efficient enough as you would have to wait for KQ jnr to grow up and pass the appropriate legislation before they could work as a PCO.

Hope that answers at least a few of the questions.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

3. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Oct 24 2009 15:23:58
    #

Login to Send PM

David
    Thank you!!!! I've been reading the forums and am happy to consider you one of the 'godlike' PCOs (heck, when dealing with bedbugs, all PCOs take on somewhat godlike status -or maybe knight in shining armor status -here with steamers and sprays instead of swords to save us from the foul beasties)

But you totally gave a really understandable explanation for why he wanted outlet covers off but did not treat them (must not have been anyone in 'em). The couch has been here only about a month, so how advanced could my infestation be really? Although -can i tell you how freakishly icky it is too look under my sofa at the moment and see all those bedbug corpses (like at least 40)? yowza. weirdly, i have yet to see corpses anywhere else in the house. the outlets aren't close to any area of bb activity -they are far far from the sofas. There is one right by my bed. But he must have checked it since he asked me to remove the covers.

And I'll schedule and ask for my next treatment at 16 days out to get all the wee ones who may have hatched

Ok, back to steaming my computer chair now. It might seem pathetic to some (but probably not anyone on this forum), that dealing out hot steamy death to potential bedbugs (haven't seen any in the chair so far, but the bites must be comnig from somewhere in my office? unless they are a delayed reaction to those i got on the sofa? hmph) is now a 'fun' way to spend a Saturday. . .
    Oh, and i think its time to change over the laundry. . .just another weekend post-bedbugs.

**Thanks again**, this was really helpful. Maybe i'll call Orkin (my provider) and ask if steaming the baseboards in my office could somehow mess up the phantom he put in the bedroom. . .

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 18:58:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry I missed this thread. Do you still need more info? Not at all godlike, I just work hard at what I do. Thanks =)

5. bugbuster

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 19:14:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I beg to differ, KQ - you are godlike. And you know exactly what I'm talking about.

6. JWhiteBBCTV

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 22:37:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey God (Killer Queen), I'm still looking into whether or not we're limiting participants in that charity we developed to bedbugFree companies but as soon as I know, I'll let you know. Although limiting participants in a charity seems ridiculous, since this is the first year we're trying it we don't want to get ourselves in deeper then we can handle.

I'm glad God is a Yankee fan.

In regards to those reading this who are curious as to what is being developed in regards to charity work, I developed a concept that should be rolled out to the media in the next week or two. As soon as the information gets released, you'll be the first to know.

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Nov 22 2009 19:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

lol thnx bugbuster! Roger that JWhiteBBCTV, keep me posted.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316