1st Post - tiny, non-itchy bites & poss. castoff? [a: not bed bug or cast skin]

(6 posts)
  1. pinkthumbnail

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2013 17:42:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up two days ago and got in the shower, and while I was in there I noticed a number (15ish) tiny pink bumps on the inside of my left arm that look like some sort of rash or bites. They don't itch, they're not sore or swollen, they're just there. I took all the covers off my bed, washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer, checked my mattress seams, baseboards, carpets, the bedframe... you name it. No sign of anything, so I didn't think too much of it. I slept okay on Wednesday night, no new spots in the morning yesterday. Yesterday I once again stripped my bed down and checked it. I found two tiny dried flakes of what looked like flea dirt, - no smearing, no bloodstains, just two little flecks that brushed away easily and without trace. I should also mention that my dog is allergic to fleas - I sprayed the apartment with Siphotrol the day before we moved in, and my dog is treated with Revolution monthly. If there were fleas in any number, she'd be covered in pruritis and itching herself half to death.

Last night I couldn't sleep, and in my fit of insomnia I started to freak out about the what if's - what if it's just early in the infestation? what if my landlord blames me and makes me pay for treatment? (We just moved in about 2 months ago...but it's only been two days since the spots). I was up every 20 minutes with a flashlight checking for bugs.

This morning, no new bumps, but upon inspection, I found what looks like it could be a tiny cast off from some kind of bug. It was almost too small to see, and I could not get a decent photo because of this, but it is a small reddish brown bug-looking thing (honestly, it's tiny enough that it could well just be dirt).

I work in healthcare, and I had one of the nurse managers and the doctor look at the bumps this afternoon and both said they don't look like bed bug bites, more like some sort of rash or potentially early stages of shingles, or contact dermatitis. Like I said - no itching, no burning, no pain, I'm just really at a loss and freaking out.

Here's some (albeit, low quality) pics:

Bumps, Day 1

Bumps, Today (Day 3)

Bug?

And Again...

Like I said, the bug (if it's a bug) was less than 1mm in size, reddish brown (as you see) and the bumps are only bothering me in that they are there and I don't know what the heck they are!

Any ideas?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2013 21:51:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The picture of the bug in question is not a bug or bed bug shed skin.

The bites I didn't look at because nobody can tell you with 100% certainty they are from a bed bug. If you were relative to bites you would have seen earlier signs them just waking up with 20 or more bites. That many bites in a night would represent a significant infestation. And of course the possible signs of evidence would be stocked against the bug.

It's probably just a rash - something I would keep an eye on but only follow up with a doctor if need be.

Good luck!

3. pinkthumbnail

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 2 2013 17:03:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Awesome, thanks sooooo much! I can sleep again!

4. pinkthumbnail

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2013 20:49:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update.

I just found a dead bug in my living room. It is 100% for sure a bed bug. I found none in my bedroom, so I am thinking the bites probably came from when I was in the living room. This one was on my roommate's couch. I called my building superintendent and he is getting pest control in first thing tomorrow morning at no cost to me. They will know whether we need to get rid of furniture and such, and I'm hoping they can tell us whether it was us that brought them in or if they came from elsewhere. He just came up and looked himself, agreed it was a bed bug but didn't see anything in our living room set, and he said the new tenants downstairs just moved in a few weeks ago and could have brought them, but he won't know until the PCO comes in. He's trying to contact them tonight, and is going to come back up with a checklist of what we need to do (ie - bag up our clothes, find alternate arrangements for my puppy, etc). He said they can track in from outside, but I live in Canada and it's -20 centigrade right now, so that seems pretty unlikely to me. I'm not really sure what to do right at the moment, I feel like my skin is crawling!

Pics of the bug:

On my carpet (I freaked out when I realized what it was - please ignore the dog fur!)
    http://tinypic.com/r/ibg974/6

On paper:
    http://tinypic.com/r/dpzsk8/6

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 13 2013 1:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Its not clear from your post if this is the same sample in 2 images or 2 samples.

If its the same one then I can assure you its been dead for sometime and was most likely carried in dead. This means one of you is most likley coming into contact with a source of bedbugs and you need to take steps to stop that immediately.

As for the outside temperature unless it takes you several weeks to get home and you stay outside all the time its still possible to bring home live bedbugs even at -20 C.

You also need to read the FAQ's to understand why throwing out furniture is often not the answer.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  6. pinkthumbnail

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 13 2013 1:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Yes, that is just one specimen and we haven't found any others. I am convinced it came from within my building - we had two new neighbours move in over the past few weeks and when I to my LL he implied that maybe there was a concern with my new downstairs neighbours. However, since we reported it, we are treated as ground zero and they are spraying our apartment this coming Thursday and again in 2 weeks.

As far as exposure otherwise goes, I work in a nursing home and a mall, and my roommate works at a large call centre. It would be nearly impossible to narrow it down I think! I'm going to purchase passive monitors after treatment though, and be more careful about travel and visitors!

Thanks a bunch!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,417 posts in 46,320 topics over 141 months by 20,415 of 21,254 members. Latest: spokallus, nu2bedbugs87, ndjur