(14 posts)
  1. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 13:11:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I posted here a few days ago asking if something I found was a bed bug.. My worst nightmare came true, it was one. ID'ed by a state licensed BB exterminator the next morning (Thurs.) Had my first treatment yesterday morning - he said after he treated (with Temprid and Gentrol) it was a very light infestation and there were none in the couch, it was confined to the bed. No eggs, cast skins or fecal matter found around the bed, only 2 dead baby bugs in the first 24 hours of my beginning inspections this past Wed. aft.

I've been washing, drying and bagging clothing (W/D in kitchen) since Thursday evening, and began the cleaning and vacuuming in earnest this morning. Here's where I freak out and need help! So first thing this AM, before I even started the shop vac, I did a bite check on my body and a mattress check as PCO advised I do each morning between first treatment and 2nd. Found a small bite on one hand - I don't react very intensely to them, thankfully just enough to notice small red welts for 2 days in a row this week and investigate the cause.. Otherwise this problem could have been much worse! My first bites were 12 days ago at absolute earliest.

Anyway, I digress... When I did the check this AM I found a baby on the underside of my mattress. Pretty sure that it was dead, but cannot be certain. Like a fool, instead of grabbing it w my hands, I took a paper towel and tried to pick it up and put it in my "evidence" Baggie. dumb move!!!!! When I opened the paper towel to get a closer look at it, it was nowhere to be found!!!! I immediately stripped and bagged my clothes, which I washed with some blankets that had been on the bed this week - all are now in dryer. And I vacuumed that whole area immediately thereafter. When I did, I vacuumed up one more baby (even smaller) and THEN, when I thought I was done vacuuming and was checking the carpet under my bed frame (which is wooden w wooden slats across where the mattress goes on top) I found what I presume to be the mother. It was flat, 2-3 times the size of the other, AND STILL ALIVE!!!! The little sucker was still wriggling around even when I put her in the evidence bag.. Finally squished her thru the bag and a plume of blood and poop came cascading out. Mmmmm lol.

Couple of questions...

-How "normal" is what I'm finding? Can I really be encouraged, especially after killing the Big Kahuna, that they're slowly dying off and will be gone soon after the 2nd treatment? (PCO said it takes 7-10 days after the 2nd one for total elimination.. Though its not part of his treatment plan, I'm tempted to have him return a 3rd time!)

-how worried should I be about the phantom baby that was nowhere to be found in my paper towel? What are the chances that if it was alive and I dropped it (if I did, it was near the bed and closer about 4 feet away - very small 1b apt) that it will now infest either my closet or other parts of my apartment, or come terrorize me while I'm sitting on the couch and then start a family in my couch? (Which has also been treated)

-I'm also concerned about the clothes in the closet. PCO had me wash, dry and bag all the things in my dresser, but said the infestation wasn't bad enough to worry about getting every item in my closet dry cleaned, so they remained hanging while he sprayed. I'm now thinking of drying the less fragile items and taking the more fragile ones to the dry cleaner anyway, just for peace of mind. I already have a whole bag of dry cleaning from the spring/summer that I'd been lazy about taking in, that will now go in today..: this is going to cost me an arm and a leg but I work in a fashion related job and my clothes, shoes and bags are so important to me. I refuse to let any of them fall victim to this! I am really battling the psychological effects of this and that would absolutely send me over the edge.

- which brings me to shoes and bags. Since my infestation seems to be confined and small and I caught it early, do you think it would be sufficient to just visually examine all my shoes and bags every few days w a flashlight and make sure there is nothing there? PCO said they only hide in clothing, books etc with very bad infestations. He also said not to treat w rubbing alcohol or DE as it could counteract the chemicals. I am hesitant to use alcohol anyway as I am an occasional smoker (especially in these times of stress!!!) and voncerned about flammability.

Just looking for some moral support and expert guidance and hopefully reassurance that I'm coming out the gate storming and will win my fight promptly. I suffer from anxiety even on good days but I refuse to let this take over my life. I also can't/won't tell anyone about this for fear of being ostracized, so am turning to you guys for help. Many thoughts and prayers to everyone dealing with this.

2. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 14:06:25
    #

Login to Send PM

You have my sympathy. A bedbug infestation is one of the most scary things that I have encountered. You are doing well in that you have taken positive action to deal with the problem pronto.

I would follow the PCOs advice generally and also leave the clothes in the closet for the time being, you could always bag them up later if the 2nd treatment does not kill them all.

You could buy some inceptors/climbers for your bed as they will prevent existing BBs leaving your bed and prevent new ones getting on. They would also indicate if the infestation is getting under control.

How do you think you got them? Have they come from another apartment? If so are those apartments being treated?

I was very careful who I told as well. Good luck. You will conquer!

3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 14:21:01
    #

Login to Send PM

If it's a small problem, clothes are probably ok. Bedbugs like wood, so be sure to check the ends of all of the wood slats on the bed frame. You;ll want to make sure none of the adjacent units have a problem. A good low cost contact killer can be made by mixing 5 ounces of 50% rubbing alcohol, with 5 ounces of Murphy's soap mixed with 10 ounces of water. Start a 30 day countdown.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 14:34:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much, guys - I could not be more grateful for people to talk to about this who have both endured it themselves and/or specialize in killing these evil things!

You both mention other apartments - this is a townhouse converted into 3 apartments, one on each floor. I am very, very suspicious of my upstairs neighbor. He travels very often for work and often leaves musical equipment in our shared hallway (leading from my front door to the stairwell to his front door). He has been away for the past 2ish weeks, so wouldn't it stand to reason that if he had bed bugs, I'd be their next closest meal and they'd seek me out in his absence? I also realized as I was vacuuming that I heard an awful lot of vacuuming coming from his unit the week before he left. Could be total coincidence, but sticks in my mind.

I very much doubt elderly neighbors downstairs would be a problem, as they call my landlord about everything.

When I told my landlord about this, I mentioned the possibility of one of the other apts and he just said he hasn't gotten any complaints from them. PCO said people generally carry them in on their person, but I'm still worried. Should I maybe buy a detection device, would that help me determine if they're coming from one of the other floors? Or maybe push the issue w my landlord? He's already been so nice, reassuring me that this is common and paying for $100 of the PCO treatment even though it's more likely they hitched a ride on my clothing or work bag from outside the building.

As far as leaving the clothes in the closet, I'll probably do that, I just hate to take a "wait and see if you get more bugs" approach - really want to be as aggressive as poss and get them out near immediately, even if it means overspending. I keep seeing where this problem takes people months and I'm hoping by some miracle that it will only be another week or 2 for me. Is there any chance?

I don't make much money, but I make enough to consider myself at least some level of middle class to the point where I can afford to spend several hundred on this - I'll be feeling the pinch for a while, but it's worth it. I read on some blog comment somewhere where a woman wrote all she can do is buy a bottle of Comet when she gets paid, and my heart broke. I almost want to find a charity to help people who can't afford PCO, once I get back on my own feet.

5. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 14:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 28 minutes ago  » 
    You have my sympathy. A bedbug infestation is one of the most scary things that I have encountered. You are doing well in that you have taken positive action to deal with the problem pronto.
    I would follow the PCOs advice generally and also leave the clothes in the closet for the time being, you could always bag them up later if the 2nd treatment does not kill them all.
    You could buy some inceptors/climbers for your bed as they will prevent existing BBs leaving your bed and prevent new ones getting on. They would also indicate if the infestation is getting under control.
    How do you think you got them? Have they come from another apartment? If so are those apartments being treated?

I notice you speak in past tense - congrats on conquering your problem and props to you for hanging around here and spreading positivity! One of the reasons I lost it at first was all the people who post on this forum about what a nightmare their life has become and then never come back to say if things turned out ok. How long did it take you to get rid of them?

6. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 14:38:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Janedoe61 - 11 seconds ago  » 

frightened - 28 minutes ago  » 

I notice you speak in past tense - congrats on conquering your problem and props to you for hanging around here and spreading positivity! One of the reasons I lost it at first was all the people who post on this forum about what a nightmare their life has become and then never come back to say if things turned out ok. How long did it take you to get rid of them?

Also, how did it affect your life in the meantime? Were you still able to visit others' homes, how long before you had any guests etc.? I'm single and dating someone I very much like, but we have not been to each other's homes yet. Worried how this will play out.

7. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 14:58:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to come clean and say that I never saw what bit me so it may not have been BBs. I panicked and stripped the bed, bagged everything In the room. Vacuumed, steam cleaned, washed incessantly. Woke up at night and checked the bed. I bought some dermataceous Earth and put that everywhere. Sprayed the bed then after about 10 days I had no more bites, then after 7 days one more then nothing now for 18 days.
    I got whatever it was from buying a secondhand bed and mattress and putting it on top of my own mattress to store it. I then left it at another house and they then had bites which they sorted out by spraying. Again they saw nothing.
    I will never buy any second hand beds again!
    I had no one to stay. I tried to keep way from other people's houses until the situation was under control. I isolated my bed so that it was the only area that had problems.
    Good luck with man. Hope you get the all clear from BBs soon.

There are success stories on here. Type success stories in the search box on the site.
    I am still lurking because I only have completed 18 days countdown. Apparently 30 days and 55 days are significant

8. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 15:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to add. You have to speak to the person who lives above you as 2 weeks is time for the BBs to come and find you. His apartment needs checking

9. BugKilla

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 15:48:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with frightened. His suite should definitely be checked and I'm surprised the PCO didn't investigate surrounding suites. W
    hen I had mine back in my bachelor suite I was terrified because I was 21 and my first time living alone and the bug just sauntered across my bed like it owned the placce. Even after the PCO came and went I still didn't feel like they were gone because I was still being bit (Thankfully not by bedbugs which I later found out). But my neighbors who were huge thrift shoppers were the ones giving the BB's to me.

I washed all my blankets and clothes. When they were clean I sorted them into different garbage bags to pull out when I needed. I kept one large garbage bag for any dirty clothes I had worn. My bathroom was right by my front door so I used to have a system where I'd come home from work, change my clothes in the bathroom, put them in the dirty clothes bag then tie it off, then I'd spray them with a mix of water and rubbing alcohol just to be sure. Then I'd vaccuum and check my mattress before anything else, then do the rubbing alchohol and water spray. Then I'd do laundry every 3 days. I was super strict with it though because I worked at a bakery and our lockers were connected and I was so scared of losing my job or someone else taking a bug home. After I was sure they were gone I changed suites in the building and hadn't seen a bed bug there since.

I'm still wary of apartments but I like living in them so it's my own fault I guess hahaha.

10. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Mar 5 2016 21:03:19
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 6 hours ago  » 
    If it's a small problem, clothes are probably ok. Bedbugs like wood, so be sure to check the ends of all of the wood slats on the bed frame. You;ll want to make sure none of the adjacent units have a problem. A good low cost contact killer can be made by mixing 5 ounces of 50% rubbing alcohol, with 5 ounces of Murphy's soap mixed with 10 ounces of water. Start a 30 day countdown.

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your reply and this info. Is that contact killer recipe flammable, or is the rubbing alcohol diluted enough not to worry about it?

Also, how can I really be sure that it is in fact a small problem? I thought it was but I have now found a total of 4, possibly 5, since Wednesday. 3 were small and one was, while maybe not an adult, at least twice as large as the others. I asked the PCO if finding babies means that the mother gave birth in my bedroom, and he said most likely unless I happened to bring a baby in. It now seems to me, after finding the larger one, that one did give birth in here. Does that mean there's no way it's a small problem?

Also, my PCO wants me to put my mattress in an encasement after 2nd treatment. If they're not all dead by then, does that mean they'll start looking for other hiding places in my walls etc?

Thanks in advance so much for your help, very grateful for those of you who volunteer your time!

11. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2016 3:01:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd do what the PCO says. You will want the encase nets to make your bed safe. The BBs will stay close to you anyway ie bedside tables, sofas etc

12. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2016 9:09:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The soap neutralizes the alcohol and it won't stain fabrics. It sounds like you're dealing with a small problem and you might have it under control in the next 14 days. In the lab, a female bedbug can lay quite a few eggs at a time. In the real world, based on the conditions, eggs deposited can be fewer. A general rule is a 30 day countdown with no bug sightings to know if you're in the clear.

13. Janedoe61

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2016 9:11:43
    #

Login to Send PM

frightened - 6 hours ago  » 
    I'd do what the PCO says. You will want the encase nets to make your bed safe. The BBs will stay close to you anyway ie bedside tables, sofas etc

I am definitely going to do what he says. But does that mean that once I have the bed encased, they are ultimately only going to infest my sofa? My bedside table is glass and pewter and has no drawers so at least not a ton of places for them to hide there.. But then my dressers are a worry, he said I can put my clothes back in after 2nd treatment, but I am scared!! He has very solid credentials, but seems a bit more liberal than some of the folks on here.

14. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 6 2016 9:20:40
    #

Login to Send PM

If you didn't find anything on the sofa you're probably going to be ok. Keep sleeping in the bedroom and do weekly inspections.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,776 posts in 50,036 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,360 members. Latest: Mikayah, maybeebedbugs, jnnafnlys01