Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

18 months bite free, just got 3 bite line, tell me I'm crazy

(5 posts)
  1. PTSDee

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 20:53:18
    #

Login to Send PM

So long story short, I haven't seen or been bit by a BB in 18 months, but got a dreaded 3 bite line on my shoulder and two other odd bites on my arm, full PTSD flashbacks triggered, and I'm now retracing every movement I've made to figure out how a BB would be possible, or whether I'm crazy and it was something else. Y'all know what I mean.

The 3 bites on the front of my shoulder weren't like the normal BB bites I remember. Usually they would be red and flat, these ones I just got were more pimple like round bumps, small, not that discolored until I started scratching. The middle one puffed up in an odd shape like a mosquito bite typically does on me, but then they all went to small round raised bumps. On the other arm there was 2 bites, one of the same pimple like bump, and then one bigger red patch that looked more like a typical BB bite on me. Then I play the game of "how would a BB make these bites", haha, like changing positions on the bed until the bites lined up with a clear path on the sheets to my skin. Trying to breakdown the attack path to my bites lol. The 2 bites didn't make much sense, but the 3 on my shoulder were also odd but made sense if the sheet was laying on me just so. Overthink much? I was also outside a bunch, and went to the pool twice, so there was opportunity for mosquitoes but these bites seemed odd.

Backstory: I had a round of bugs in my apartment around the summer/fall of 2016, did the total freakout, bagged my bed, isopropyled the hell out of everything, washed, dried, dried again, DE every nook and cranny and lined every baseboard, climb ups, bagged tricky items, all seems good. Last time I saw a live bug was Jan '17, climbing my wall after I came back from 2 weeks visiting the family (nuking everything before going so as not to spread). So all of 2017, no bites. My worries quelled, my sleep restored. The apartment directly below me also had them, where they originated I don't know, but she didn't treat them as well as I, but it appeared as tho she wasn't complaining of them since 2016. She moves out, someone else moves in, no mention of bugs from him for the whole year. So I don't know if they ever got rid of them entirely, but I had no trace since then in my apartment. So end of 2017 I pack up and move out of that apartment, still being paranoid and wrapping up questionable stuff. Store everything in my parent's crawl space in Colorado, move out of the country for 6 months with one bag.

So come full circle, I come back last week, pull a small duffel bag out of the crawl space where all my stuff is stored, pack it up with clothes that have never crossed paths with my infected apartment, and go visit my sister for 2 weeks, sleeping in her guest room. After about 10 days, I notice these bites over the last couple days. During this time we've also been hanging outside in the backyard and 2 trips to the pool. The only vector for BBs I can imagine is this duffel bag, which I had washed and nuked in the dryer during my infestation. But it's been a year since I've been bit, and then about 7 months in a crawl space, basically quarantined. And this crawl space stays mostly room temperature (60-70s) during the winter. I'm trying to fathom how a BB could have managed it's way into this bag during my bug free year, and then 7 months in storage.

I went full on panic mode when I saw 3 bites, ripped the sheets off the bed, pulled up the seams and looked with a flashlight for a while out of crazy PTSD instinct. Not expecting to find anything. I think I'm crazy. I'm pouring over the web again, trying to figure out if a bug could live this long. I don't want to induce undue panic in my sister, but they have a large house and 2 kids and I can't imagine the hell that would unleash if I brought BBs in. I'm torn on whether to unleash the paranoia on her, or if I'm just crazy and I got triple bit by a mosquito and some other thing. UGH. I've been bit by plenty of mosquitoes since then, but these bites are different/lined up.

2. KISADIDA

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 21:26:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug can be hiding in bag for 18 months. It's better to tell your sister to do some precaution even though it may turn out to not be bed bug. But there is possibility. Put some monitor to observe

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue Jul 24 2018 21:45:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The three bite myth is just that, I would not even think of that as evidence of a bed bug infestation.

4. PTSDee

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Jul 25 2018 15:10:30
    #

Login to Send PM

KISADIDA - 17 hours ago  » 
    Bed bug can be hiding in bag for 18 months. It's better to tell your sister to do some precaution even though it may turn out to not be bed bug. But there is possibility. Put some monitor to observe

but I don't think so. I've re-opened the internet BB rabbit hole and can't find any other reference to 18 months other than one dude's study in 1960. Every other reference recently has been far below that, like 3-6 months, no more than a year. Heck, even the freshly fed ones I caught wouldn't last more than a couple days in an open plastic container before turning over and shriveling up. This 18 month thing gets thrown around so much it starts being accepted as absolute fact, when every other recent study refutes it

5. xscrewygirlx

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Dec 22 2018 16:48:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Every reputable source I can find says that they can live up to a year(while dormant). Nymphs can go three months... adult active bed bugs can go 5 months without blood.

Orkin Information about BB Hibernation

Terminex Information about BB Hibernation

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

283,867 posts in 47,243 topics over 145 months by 20,836 of 21,126 members. Latest: pinkfoxes, Tomwilson28, aeb19