Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

10 months sealed in air tight bag

(2 posts)
  1. whybedbug

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 10 2014 20:56:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everybody
    I had bed bugs a year ago from neighbors upstairs and across from the hallway. After two treatments, I packed up and move to a new apartment. Just to be safe, I put my 2 empty luggages in 2 sealed airtight bags. It's been 10 months and I will need to use the luggages again. Do you think there all dead ? How likely that there all dead ? I only lived with bed bugs for 4 months at the old apartment, is it likely that there were in the luggages ?
    Thank you

2. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 2:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

An interesting question. Although I'm not an expert I've read a ton of info on bedbug biology and personal experiences over the past few years and one thing it seems no one can agree on is how long bedbugs can survive without sustenance, some sources say about 8 to 10 months, while others say they can live for over 1 year. The only thing universally agreed on is that nymphs will succumb to starvation faster than adults and that bugs will survive without food much longer in cool temperatures. The likelihood of bugs being in the luggage is dependent mainly on the degree of infestation you were dealing with and whether you stored the luggage near the bed or any other part of your place where the infestation was centered around. I do not really know of any good way to treat suitcases and the like, as they most likely aren't going to fit in a clothes dryer. Maybe the experts will have some suggestions you can try.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus