(6 posts)
  1. JRad

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 2:08:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I had a bed bug infestation in a house I lived in about 5 years ago. It was a row home in Philadelphia. I lived with 7 other people. We washed and bag everything. We got treatments every two weeks for about 2-3 months and then the bugs went away. I mention this to say I've dealt with them successfully before without too much horror.

I bought a row home 3 years ago. For the first two years everything was pretty much okay. About a year ago a family moved in next door. They had 12-20 people living in a 3 bedroom house. They mostly cooked outside on a industrial grill and rarely cleaned up or bagged their garbage. We started having problems with roaches, mice, and even cats (feral cats figured out that there was a lot of decent left over meat unbagged in their garbage cans).

10 months ago we found bed bugs in our room. We searched the room and found a cluster of about 20 nymphs on our bed bug mattress cover. They had hatched in the velcro that is meant to cover the mattress cover zipper. We immediately vacuumed up the bugs we could see and called Terminix. We got out the old under the post interceptors. We threw out some bed side tables we didn't care much about and dried and bagged all our clothes. Terminix came and treated every other week for about 2 months. We read up on DE and applied it every so often. Things started to look better. Then for months we would start to feel confident that things were looking better but one would inevitably appear. This went on for about 7 months. We wouldn't see one for a month and then one would appear. After a solid month and a half in the clear Terminix assured us we could remove our clothes from the bags.

About a month ago the neighbors suddenly moved out and we were hit with an insane wave of roaches. Just roaches everywhere. Then a few nights ago the bed bugs started to appear. We've now seen probably 15 bed bugs in our room over the course of the last 5 days. All but one were adults. A few of them were dead or seemed like they were dying. I went out on our connected roof to see if I could see into the now vacant apartment. A window was completely busted out. I could see into the room that shares a wall with my bedroom. There were NINE filthy boxsprings and mattresses piled up.

In a few days I plan to rent a truck from home depot and bring the mattresses to the dump. I have Terminix coming to treat my house in a few days. What's my best course of action for the vacant property? Should I bomb the house with bed bug foggers around the same time Terminix treats my house? Should I buy some spray and spray the property regularly? The owner is obviously a slumlord and doesn't care so getting in touch with them seems like a bit of a lost cause.

2. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Feb 12 2019 10:16:49
    #

Login to Send PM

That sucks. No other way to say it. Sorry you have to deal with someone else's negligence. The good thing is that you have educated yourself enough to understand bed bugs and know where to look for the original source so you can get to the root of the problem.
    You made an interesting observation on the velcro on the mattress encasements. I always suspected that would make a perfect harborage for bed bugs and apparently it does. I guess with the cases, you're limiting their hiding spots but not eliminating them so it's easier to inspect at least. That's why I now feel they are most valuable on box springs to prevent them from getting underneath since it's basically hollow but for mattresses, they don't offer that much value unless you have a really intricately sewn mattress.
    Back to your question, the fact that the bugs seem like they're dying is good. That means your treatments still have some strength left in them enough to be lethal. It wouldn't hurt to have a fresh application though as you plan on doing. It sounds like that neighboring home must be pretty badly infested. Getting rid of the mattresses and junk will help but they're probably in the walls too if they're coming over to your place. If you set off a bomb over there, you would drive the ones that survive over to your place in a mass exodus. Ideally, it would be good to have an active monitor over there that attracts the bugs to it instead of you but if the infestation is that widespread, I think it might take too many monitors to have an impact. Perhaps a heat treatment on that home would deal the biggest blow or a coordinated heat treatment there and in your home. That would be twice as expensive though. That owner should be held responsible for half if not all of the cost. Like I said, that sucks. Hopefully the experts on here can give you better advice.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. JRad

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Feb 14 2019 18:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

An update here. I rented a box truck, put on some coveralls, and removed 13 mattresses/box springs from the vacant house. They were all very filthy and at least a few of the box springs had clear bed bug activity. I also removed a construction sized garbage bag full of rotting food. Five mice jumped out when I picked it up.

Terminix came today and I was able to bring the tech next door. His response was "I've seen worse but how the hell do people live like this?" He agreed to treat the vacant house for cash. I also had my house treated. He said because of the new activity we would have to dry and bag all our clothes again. Truly a defeating moment.

I did a bunch of internet snooping to find info on the owner of the property. I was able to find a phone number for the business he owns. I called and explained that I own the property attached to his property and that his property appeared to be heavily infested with pests. At that point he said he wasn't actually the owner but was partners with the owner (slightly sketchy considering he had earlier identified himself as the owner). He said he would send someone to look at the property. I asked him to keep me updated and that I would like to work together for treatment.

Trying not to feel hopeless. The dream of owning our first home has turned into a nightmare after only 3 years.

4. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Feb 14 2019 18:33:49
    #

Login to Send PM

"Did I say I was the owner? I meant my 2nd cousin's father in law's neighbor owns it." Shady.
    But anyways, that's good you got the main source of the bugs out of there. Hopefully, you wrapped or bagged them up to avoid spreading the bugs when you were moving them around? And spray paint them with an "X" or put a sign warning people not to take them from the curb although unlikely since they sound pretty disgusting. And I assume you immediately threw the clothes you were wearing there in the dryer or a garbage bag in the trash?
    Regarding treating the empty apartment, hopefully the PCO understands that it needs to be treated differently than an occupied apartment. He can't just apply residuals in spots where they would normally travel as if they were coming out to feed on someone since no one is attracting them out of hiding to the center of the room. He would need to use some active monitors or they will just start wandering over to your place looking for breathing warm blooded inhabitants.

Any suggestions for him David or BD?

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Feb 14 2019 20:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not make decisions on the landlords vacant, that could land you in some deep shit. Tell the partner that you would like to treat his unit as well as your own. Having chemicals sprayed on someone else's property might violate several laws and it opens you to blame of any issues that might arrive next door even if the owners claims are not true.

6. anonabug

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Feb 19 2019 21:35:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Used to live in a row house in Philly about 35 yrs ago. Couldn't get rid of roaches, but at least it was before bed bugs were brought into the US. Recently, I was traveling in the DC area, where there are tons of rowhouses. I looked at them and thought, "There is no way to get rid of bedbugs if they get into rowhouses. No way to force everyone to cooperate with extermination.

Honestly, if I were you, I would sell it and buy a single family home if at all possible. Meanwhile, DO treat the abandoned property next door! Screw informing the LL. They clearly don't give a damn. And if you don't treat next door, you will not be able to rid your unit of bedbugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,541 posts in 47,911 topics over 148 months by 21,107 of 21,446 members. Latest: nyc-bedbugs, needhelp1111, urka1234