(13 posts)
  1. kala9151

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 16:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This morning I noticed a little bug creeping up towards me on top of the covers. It was approximately 0.5 mm in size, round/oval and a brownish color. It did not have the distinguished head a lot of the photos of bed bugs seem to have. When I crushed it (my immediate reaction was to kill it) with some tweezers I was holding it did not have any blood in it, it crunched a little as I crushed it. Unfortunately, I lost the 'corps' in the frantic search/clean/laundry session that followed the discovery.

I extensively searched the room for any other signs of bed bugs, turned the bed, my sofa and chairs upside down. I live in student accomodation and a room further down the corridor had bed bugs a couple of months ago (which the landlord has repeatedly tried to exterminate... the current tenants of the room says they do not have them)

I did not find any other bugs nor any larve. However, there were some black spots in the corner of the bedframe (which is untreated wood). The spots vary in size and almost look like discoloring of the wood but upon closer inspection, it smeers when you touch it. The smeer stays dark black. The spots are not raised but completely parallell to the wood. I will be able to provide a snapshot of the spots if needed. Please let me know ASAP.

I have not experienced any bites or skin irritation.

I'd really appreciate any help and input. I'm seriously freaking out and am insanely worried about going to sleep tonight.

Thanks in advance!

Karin

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 17:23:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely post the marks.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 17:29:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear karin,

Shooting from the lip here; I think you should run like your pants were on fire as far and as fast as you can and don't stop till your toes are wet by Pacific waters lapping the beach in sunny CA.

OK, more seriously however, from the description you provided, the critter you crushed to death this morning could be any number of things but, there's no need to panic. Simply provide the photo such that we can see what you're concerned about.

Thanks ! paul b.

4. kala9151

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 17:38:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for prompt reply.

Here's a link to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76541782@N02/?saved=1

5. kala9151

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 17:44:52
    #

Login to Send PM

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Mar 26 2012 18:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear karin,

Does not appear to be consistent with the fecal stains we see in the field on a regular basis.

If you have a photo of your critter carcass that may help.

As of now, I doubt it's a bed bug issue at this point in time based upon the evidence provided.

Hope this helps !

paul b.

7. kala9151

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 6:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Paul!

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 6:31:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry if you mean the marks on the wooden frame then I think it could be bedbug faecal material. I would suggest a confirmation with bedbug blue or an inspection by an experienced bedbug professional (noting that being a PCO does not make you a bedbug professional by default).

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  9. kala9151

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 6:39:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I was a little worried about the black marks on the bed which seemed to fit the description. I have already called a professional through my landlord to deal with it and hopefully they will be able to come out and inspect it promptly.

What do I do in the mean time? Can I do something constructive while I wait?

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 7:10:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I would avoid doing too much without advice from a pro. That might make things harder to inspect or cause bugs to scatter. Review our FAQ. One conservative thing I'd do is vacuum the bed (nooks, crannies, holes) and sleeping area using the "stocking" technique illustrated in this guide (PDF page 40, print page 36). Seal, inspect and retain what you trap. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf

11. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 7:32:03
    #

Login to Send PM

In my view they look awfly large to be bed bug fecal stains but it's wise to be conservative and have them checked out as David suggests.

Hope it's not for your sake ! paul b.

12. kala9151

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 11:45:49
    #

Login to Send PM

You all seem to agree it looks a little suspicious. Could it be traces of some other insect? I actually found something that looks almost like a shed skin but I am not sure. I might be getting slightly paranoid by now. Should I upload of photo of it?

A massive THANK YOU for the advise. It is much appreciated!

Karin

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Mar 27 2012 11:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Please upload anything you'd like identified.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,909 posts in 50,061 topics over 155 months by 21,885 of 22,373 members. Latest: Delusionalparasitosis, kslone1006, Hex999