Laundry/dry cleaning - $130
    DE - $20
    Bombs for car (3) - $15
    No pest strips (5) - $30
    dry ice trap that didn't work - $20
    Car detailings - $140
    Lunesta script - $65
    Hyrocortisone creams and other skin treatments - $40

Total so far? $2293. Time and mental anguish associated with bedbugs? - PRICELESS

There's lot's that I'm not counting (cab rides because my car is infested, eating out because I hate being home and don't want to drive buggy car to make groceries)

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 3 2010 0:55:24
    #

Login to Send PM

rescued from spam

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. fantastapotamus

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 23 2010 15:14:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree completely. The biggest "hidden" cost of BB fighting is all the time I spend out of my house because I just don't want to be in it anymore.

dining out, movies, etc. all add up to a crapload more than I'd spend in a given month in my pre-bb life.

I'm currently over $1500 for products and services, and I can't count how much has gone in to "distraction-entertainment"... distractanment?

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 23 2010 17:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes bed bugs can be a terribly expensive pest as well a psychological ordeal. And while I do not know the particulars of this case, in many cases the use of encasement's and the dryer can mitigate a lot of expenses such as new mattresses, box springs and pillows to name just a few. Please do not misunderstand, I am not specifically commenting on the case above but merely encouraging others to explore alternatives to reduce hardship,

5. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 15:05:09
    #

Login to Send PM

When I told my property manager I've spent over $500 personally to get rid of these things, I think it helped her put the cost of extermination in perspective.

6. florida st

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 15:19:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Total so far? $2293. Time and mental anguish associated with bedbugs? - PRICELESS
    There's lot's that I'm not counting (cab rides because my car is infested, eating out because I hate being home and don't want to drive buggy car to make groceries)

How are you planning on de-bugging your car? I'm wondering about this also, I've tried to outline a couple of strategies. I'm hearing that a really good steam cleaning is the best way to go, but it's too expensive for me, and I don't know if it's 100% effective.

7. 4blossoms

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 17:05:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't forget all the extra money you have to pay to do laundry (if you don't have your own washer/dryer) , it's $6 a week for me for the past 3 months and for how much longer? It's ridiculous to have to do laundry twice a week in order to maintain a saner bed bug population in your home (read: not getting 100 bites a night).

The psychological torment is the worst aspect of dealing with bed bugs. With roaches and mice you just have to clean and eat out a lot. With bbs you clean, clean, clean, get bitten, clean some more, get bitten, cry, fight your landlord, come up with ineffectual home remedies, scrimp and save to move to a new apartment while staving off the little bloodsuckers in whatever way you can in the meantime. These things are serious and NY's city hall isn't responding properly to the severity of this problem!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,532 posts in 47,908 topics over 148 months by 21,105 of 21,444 members. Latest: bugsaway71, odetteamo, nyc-bedbugs