Low-income tenants not liable for treatment costs in HUD-supported rentals

by nobugsonme on July 17, 2009 · 4 comments

in bed bugs, florida, landlords and tenants, money

WFTV in Florida helped some low-income tenants with bed bugs to get help.

The owner of Oakwood apartments in Mount Dora tried to charge seven families almost $3,000 each for extermination fees.

The South Florida based company, Miami Mar Incorporated, told the residents they would be kicked out if they didn’t pay.

Whether this is fair, or legal, is one question.

Whether asking low-income tenants to come up with that kind of money for treatment is practical is an easy “no.”

But HUD had other ideas:

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development [HUD] helps pay the rent at the complex for people who can’t afford it. After Eyewitness News contacted HUD, the agency told the landlord extermination is an operating expense that the tenants don’t have to pay for.

Watch WFTV’s video at Residents Told To Pay For Bed Bug Infestation – News Story – WFTV Orlando.

1 kisha robinson February 19, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Hi, My Name is Kisha Robinson and I live in Brooklyn NY with my 2 boys and just over a little over 2yrs I had a feeling that I may have bedbugs and long an behold I do now I’m trying to get rid of them but I’m having a hard time doing that.I’m a single mother who is on public assistance and the money the exterminators are asking for to rid my apt of bedbugs is to much for me and i can’t afford it.so i was just wondering if somebody can help me with this problem i’m havin in my home because it’s starting to get out of control and ruining my life now i sleep with the lights on until the sun starts shining from outside.

2 nobugsonme February 19, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Hi Kisha,

The first question is, are you renting your home? If so, your landlord is responsible for treatment for bed bugs. You should let him/her know right away.

If not, come to the Bedbugger Forums and post a message there. It’s not an easy question to answer. Self-treatment takes a lot of know-how and work and even then is not easy.

3 Strabat February 19, 2010 at 10:59 pm


Perhaps, these folks can assist you.

The Single Parent Resource Center

228 East 45th Street
New York, New York 10017
Telephone: 212-951-7030
Fax: 212-951-7037

Email: redackermansprc@aol.com

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }

Previous post:

Next post: