DIY treatment

Alcohol is a very flammable contact killer for bed bugs

January 11, 2016

Another person has set their apartment building on fire in response to bed bugs.  And this time, he was badly hurt. According to Man trying to destroy bedbugs sets apartment ablaze in the Detroit Free Press, on Sunday at 4:30 am, a man in Detroit’s St. Antoine Gardens apartment complex (near Wayne State University) doused […]

14 comments Read the full article →

Detroit tenant watched alcohol-sprayed floor ignite

November 5, 2015

This is an update from our story last night on the bed bug treatment-related fire in Detroit. The tenant who accidentally started the fire in Detroit on Tuesday has now spoken to journalists, offering a heartbreaking apology for her actions: According to Fox 2 News, the tenant had bed bugs for a whole year, and […]

16 comments Read the full article →

Why are foggers and bombs still being sold to treat bed bugs?

June 4, 2012

Since this website was started in 2006, we’ve been told countless times that bug bombs (total release aerosol foggers) are not effective for dealing with bed bugs (Cimex lectularius) because they don’t penetrate into harborage areas. We are also told foggers and bombs may spread bed bugs, making problems worse.  It is well known to […]

13 comments Read the full article →

Another Cincinnati DIY treatment results in a fire (and this time, $100K in damages)

August 9, 2011

FOX19 in Greater Cincinnati reports that yet another fire was started at home on Monday by someone trying to do their own bed bug treatment, in an apartment in Avondale, Ohio: The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental after a tenant was trying to get rid of bed bugs in her […]

4 comments Read the full article →

Bed bugs in Toronto public housing

March 31, 2010

Joe Fiorito has a new story in the Toronto Star today about Bill Huddlestone, who suffers from bed bugs in his Toronto Community Housing apartment on Lawrence at Morningside. To say Huddlestone has a persistent problem with bed bugs is an understatement: “They’ve sprayed 21 times in the past two years.” Okay, read that sentence […]

Read the full article →

Saudi Arabian tragedy: a reminder to use pesticides appropriately and as labeled

August 14, 2007

This is just horrible. The Arab News reports that in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, two sisters died tragically and a third is hospitalized after their father used an industrial insecticide not meant for home use, in an attempt to kill bed bugs in their home.  The product was sold in a local store.

6 comments Read the full article →