Would like advice on how to move without bringing bed bugs with me

(4 posts)
  1. Torimay

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 17:49:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So upon earlier posts I know I have bed bugs it is confirmed, and treatment has been taking long time to come and they are doing thermal treatment but shortly after that I will be moving out and I need advice on which stuff I should be careful about because I have got no information from landlords/ people doing treatment and I am trying to be cautious I cannot bring these things with me if I'm bringing possible bed bugs!, the lack of comments I get concerns me nobody seriously can't tell me anything fuck

2. bedbugsbugme

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 18:26:40
    #

Login to Send PM

It depends on what you are trying to bring with you. Furnature might be a bigger deal because its bigger and requires more treatment. It also depends on the way they are treating your home. Like are they using dusts and or chemicals and or steam? Just heat alone may not be enough if you have a medium to heavy infestation.
    Things like clothes and bedding (aside from pillows and heavy comforter/ duvets) can easily be washed on hot and dried in the dryer twice then stored in giant ziploc bags or airtight plastic bins. Comforters and duvets can be thoroughly soaked in hot water (120f) with soap for an hour then dried and bagged. Shoes can be steamed. Heavy jackets can be soaked in hot water.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  3. barelyliving

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 20:17:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Another thing you can do is search the site for answers people have given about how to move without bed bugs before. Sometimes people are on that have time to help, and sometimes they aren't.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Mar 18 2017 23:10:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Everything you're moving needs to be treated if you want to be sure bed bugs aren't moved.

Heat treatment may not kill every bed bug, and even if it does, if attached neighbors have bed bugs, more can be introduced at any time.

If money permits, you may be able to get a pod or moving truck treated en route with Vikine gas (sulfuryl fluoride). It's not cheap, but should enable you to treat everything at once (more or less) and take it all.

Less expensive possibilities include heating items using a Packtite or other bed bug oven (see this section of useful tools on Packtite and other bed bug ovens), sealing items in bags and treating with DDVP stripsor Cirkil/Proof Rag in a Bag -- note this last option has a smell some will not be willing to deal with (see the Useful Tools sections on DDVP strips and on Cirkil/Proof Rag in a Bag).

Clothing and other cloth items can simply be washed and dried on hot or just dried on hot. The FAQs cover this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

251,665 posts in 40,194 topics over 122 months by 17,600 of 17,935 members. Latest: Code9, Blackbird13, Kvakalyabra