Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Worried about shared storage unit, unpacking

(3 posts)
  1. bitethebullet

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Jan 11 2018 21:16:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I’ve reached day 31 with no signs since the heat treatment and made my last payment to my PCO today. I’ve gotten my searching down to once a week and I’m curious—when is it a good idea to bring in my belongings I bagged with strips back in from our shared basement? We had one scare where I found a bloodstain but I’m almost 99% sure it was from a cut I got on my hand at work.

I don’t want to unbag everything only to find we still have them at some point. Also, how confident can I be that if anything made it in a bag, it’s dead at this point?

ANOTHER side note: I’m slightly afraid of our storage unit because I had kept a suitcase down there for a few days that was full of clothes before I was told a place we stayed had bed bugs. The suitcase didn’t travel with me, I just stored my clothes in it in my room (we just moved) on the floor until I could afford a dresser. Should I be concerned about the basement being infested now or would they have died/moved to another spot?

It seems like there are just so many damn points where “cross contamination” could have happened and I don’t want to muck this up. If I could have it my way I’d toss everything that’s down there but my partners belongings are in there as well.

Apologies if I jump from place to place, I’m extremely scattered today.

“I’ve got edge!”

“You’re about as edgy as a satsuma.”
  2. F. Pazos

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Jan 12 2018 3:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

First of all, different PCOs use different approaches, and I always request our customers to PLS not bag anything, and if anything is in a bag to take it out before we start the treatment (regardless of heat, dust, cryo or chemical).
    We do that because we can guarantee our job, but not that the customer will follow exactly what we say... and we get better results this way.
    That said,
    Once your belongings are bagged with strips, it should be ok to take them out of the bag. About the suitcase, I am afraid I don't quite get the meaning of what you explain (sorry, english is not my first language), I don't understand what was exposed to BB, but I guess that nothing stops you for placing that items in bags with strips for peace of mind

Professional PCO based in Hong Kong specialized in Bed Bugs.
  3. bitethebullet

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Jan 12 2018 10:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

E. Pazos- We had to bag these items, they were records and a few pieces of art that would have completely melted in the heat.

The suitcase in question is now gone, I bagged it and threw it out. My concern is that it was in the same room with another bag that had been exposed to bed bugs, and I put it in our storage unit, unbagged, at first because we were told it was scabies. (We obviously found out later it was not scabies.)

I’m worried that since it was downstairs, unbagged for a few days that the basement *may* have some stragglers and I don’t want to bring them inside.

Thanks for your answer concerning the strips. I followed my PCOs directions, it just feels a little scary bringing the records back inside.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,260 posts in 46,529 topics over 141 months by 20,520 of 21,381 members. Latest: alize, Worrybug, bugBgone123