Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

wooden bookshelves, dressers, etc.

(6 posts)
  1. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Dec 26 2007 22:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

my pco treated my bookshelves and dresser. Now I'm going to have the pco come again. A friend of mine who lived through a bed bug infestation suggested I throw out all wooden furniture. But I thought the bugs just lived in cracks and crannies. If I have a nice bookshelf, and the only crannies are the holes for the adjustable shelves, shouldn't a good chemical spray suffice?

How many of us are throwing out all our furniture and starting anew? Are we starting a new "apartment makeover trend" in which apartments will now be furnished all in steel and plastic? Should we submit photos to apartmenttherapy.com?

2. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2007 0:16:58
    #

Login to Send PM

No, don't throw it out. Furniture can be treated with pesticides or with dusts. You should consider both a) carefully cleaning it yourself and b) emptying it completely before the next treatment so that it can be treated by the PCO in all crevices, underneath drawers, in corners, joints, underneath the piece itself, etc. It will be much easier for them to be thorough if a piece is empty. Make sure you tell them that you want all your furniture pieces treated since not all techs work the same way or thoroughly treat the same areas during a service.

I suggest cleaning first yourself before treatment because that gives you the best chance in my opinion.

3. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2007 10:59:51
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL. It's still empty from the last spray. All I have to do is clean it again.

4. BakedBedBugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Dec 27 2007 18:07:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thermal treatments work great for most types of furniture. Bookcases in particular. You can even leave the books in most of the time!

5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Dec 28 2007 18:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

At the first international bedbug convention, they said you didn't have to throw out furniture, that it could be treated. Some exceptions that came up in the Boston Bedbug conference with references to furniture close to the bed in a heavily infested bedroom, ie, headboard and nightstand. They felt those items in particular, along with the box spring, were the pieces most likely to have to be discarded. I found bedbug eggs laid in the cracks of a bookshelf so beware of eggs even when you don't see bedbugs.

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jan 2 2008 17:47:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe that if one would throw out all furniture and everything else the bugs could still be hanging out in the ctacks of wood floor and outlets and walls. This war is long and you must battle hard to save your posessions. Keep cleaning and steaming and use DE after you have had your place treated by a professional as many times as possible. You must fight and keep fighting.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.