Winnipeg landlord turns an old trailer into a cooker that kills bed bugs

(5 posts)
  1. Louise

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 21 2011 11:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Winnipeg landlord turns old trailer into a cooker to get rid of bed bugs

Not sure if he has a PCO license yet, but at least he's taking the problem seriously.

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 21 2011 12:29:02
    #

Login to Send PM

In SoCal you cannot do anything like that without mega licensing.

It is easy enough from an engineering standpoint but it can't easily be done within California law.

I looked into my own ideas but found anything to kill bugs needs a license to own a pest control firm which takes years if starting from nothing.

Jim

3. heritchyness

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Feb 21 2011 21:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Yesterday we cooked our couch using sheets of insulation board (styrofoam), tape, blankets and 2 space heaters. I kept fire extinguishers nearby in case of fire. After a couple of hours we got the heat at the bottom to 120 and kept it there for 4 hours. I heard a friend tell me that her PCO did this for them and it worked. It was actually kind of fun making the box! Has anyone had any disasters doing this, like burning the house down?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Feb 22 2011 15:10:25
    #

Login to Send PM

The trailer idea is an interesting one and has been done by others (here's a commercial version called the Insect Inferno).

heritchyness, there have been cases of people setting homes and buildings on fire while trying to treat bed bugs. Please be extremely cautious. Your setup sounds potentially dangerous to me.

The guys at the University of Florida have rigged up a system for treating items with heat within a room. Their protocol may be safer than yours but in any case must be used with caution. See the U of Florida Bed Bugs Manual linked from our list of Comprehensive Guides in the Resources page.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. heritchyness

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Feb 25 2011 11:45:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Got it, thanks. Don't want to cause anyone to burn their house down! As a glass blower and ceramicist, I have little fear of fire. A blessing and a curse. Thanks for your caution.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.