Will wrapping your bed in plastic keep bed bugs out

(5 posts)
  1. whatabugger

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Aug 26 2009 15:54:56
    #

Login to Send PM

We recently found out that we have bed bugs. We got rid of the old matress and box springs, bought new ones and wrapped them in 4 mil. plastic and taped them shut. Will this keep the bed bugs out.

We also go an estimate from a PCO who said that the treatment he would give would cost between $500-$1000. Is this too much? He also said that it would take two-three treatments. What is the average cost of a PCO?

I also read that some people do not react to bites. Is this true?

2. DrFrank

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2009 1:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

So, basically you're trying to make your own balloon out of 4 mil plastic and tape? Well... If you can really seal it up, and keep it tear free, you'll keep them out of the mattress, alright...

What you heard from the PCO sounds normal, assuming that's the total cost and not per-visit.

Yes, some people don't react.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2009 1:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

It may be hard to keep the tape on and keep the homemade encasement airtight, but that's what you'd need to do. It will not prevent them from living in the bed frame, or elsewhere, obviously.

Many people go for the specially designed bed bug encasements, because if used properly, they will keep bed bugs in the bed (or out or it). Even these must be kept tear-free, but you would not have the concern with a gap developing in the tape, for example, if you had a Protect-a-Bed AllerZip or MattressSafe encasement which was otherwise prevented from tearing.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. whatabugger

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 27 2009 23:13:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked at the advertisement for the [i]protect-a-bed allerzip and was wondering if there were any suggestions. If I decide to go with an encasement, should I get the terry-cloth one or the smooth one? What's the difference besides the price? Is one better than the other and are there guarentees?

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 28 2009 8:18:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I vote for smooth. You want a surface where it's easy to spot things.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.