Will I N/EVER get rid of them???

(24 posts)
  1. hearty

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Oct 19 2017 13:24:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Apologies for my (months ago) choice of ID. I feel nothing like a "HARDASS" at this time (it was late, couldn't figure how to change it, no biggy).

I've had BBs for 15 months now, brought them from a Motel 6 in a major metropolitan city. I rent a large size apartment, one of two units in a residential suburban area. I am a single female, no pets.
    I have been through everything people go through as I read their stories. I knew right away what had happened after two weeks of being home from the motel and getting bit (I had my first bite the last day of my stay there), and was 'on it' right away. It has been a learning curve over time how to treat. Mostly talking to exterminators and using online resources. I used DIY: went down to part time work to become a full time exterminator, and spending a lot of money/ruining my things, throwing things away, losing my social life etc UNTIL THIS SUMMER when I chose to do heat treatment. I knew I had done and treated absolutely everything and I was able to eliminate my clothing, car, my 'stuff', including my bed and bed frame.

As a final test to eliminate my mattress and bed frame (after treatment), I bought 2 new high end mattress encasements and covered my mattress with this secondary cover and my entire wooden futon bed bed frame with a king size one. I promptly started getting bit again.

At this point the hiding place must have been in the floors or cracks of this old building (PLENTY of cracks to hide in) and I chose to get the heat treatment.

I have since had two heat treatments by a local top exterminator who guarantees his success. According to him there is no way I could still have any BBs. Well, I do. After the second treatment I was aware (and did more research) that this is still no guarantee.

Needless to say, I am at the end of my wits. I have recorded the bites, have pics and keep track of timing which is all in line with their cycle and indeed having bed bugs.

I discovered the first (triple) bite after the second heat treatment yesterday, two weeks to the day from the last heat treatment.

Briefly, what I am looking at now is:

starting all over
    new treatment options? (I used my car in 100 degrees heat F as a heating unit, don't have a Packtite)
    asking for HELP here
    and, well, the dreaded moving without taking anything with me.

I have no better place to move to, and I am actively looking.
    I have a lot of stuff...while I could move with a huge loss of things I can not move without taking some things from this place.

I need help...I can not do this alone anymore.

I am grateful for this site, people who started it and who run it and who comment.
    Thanks in advance

2. HifromChi

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Oct 19 2017 14:04:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you using any powder to dust in the crevices, along the baseboards, and floor? The Cimexa dust works very well, especially if you're dealing with gaps in walls and flooring. I had 2 treatments with that, along with heat treatment and spray, and the problem was gone in 2 visits. That was a year ago.

The success stories I hear about are usually the ones using a multi-prong approach. Heat, spray, powder, mattress and box spring covers, climb-ups under bed legs, bed isolation (moving bed a few inches from all walls) and passive monitors.

15 months is a really long time to have these horrid critters, when did you last see an actual (living or dead) bed bug?

3. hearty

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 22:41:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Hi from Chi... Chi-town is where I got mine in the first place! ...lol...wow, I can laugh.
    I have NOT heard of Cimexa dust so thank you. I'm learning about the follow up to heat treatment which my PCO does not provide. I was happy he came through with the 60 day guarantee and repeated the treatment at no cost.... It definitely helped since the first treatment. I was getting bit almost every night after a month then.
    I have done everything you mentioned except the 3 prong treatment with a PCO. I know 15 months and counting is a long time but definitely not unheard of. They don't just disappear on their own and I am doing this by myself, it has been way over my head from the beginning. I am not that good at it (even tho I am spending a lot of my time with it). Took me this long to get active on this forum! And to get heat treatment, and to finally set up my new pop up zippered clothes closet that I bought a year ago...Also the fact that my car was involved...that took time to figure out. I know now that I had them in my car and also that currently I do not. The heat treatment in car did work. For now.
    My PCO saw 2 nymphs on my bed at the first heat treatment. I go by the very distinctive bb bites, they last forever, as proof of having/ not having them. Last year I saw one live one on my bed, several red nymphs all over my hair towels, and dead adults by my bed posts in piles of DE. Lots of exoskeletons when I cleaned. I id them very carefully, no doubt. I am currently feeling hopeful since I have not yet been bit again (since last week) ...I'll resort to new professional treatment if i must and this website. Thank you!

4. bugshipcrazy

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 22:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m So sorry you’re going through this. I’m in the same boat. Lost my mind a long time ago. I’m about to heat the house with chemical treatments before and after. I’ve done it all as well(just had 4 full house chemical treatments with a follow up k9 inspection, which, of course, found nothing), and can’t stop the bites. Can’t find bugs either! Blood stains on sheets is all I’ve got and some poppy seeds. But my kids and I get bit (not my husband, so this has been terrible on my marriage). I also have an extensive bite log with dated photos. Exterminators tell me the same thing, there is no way you can still have them, BUT, we are still getting bit. I do feel it will never end. I want to be a success story someday!!

I wish there was a magical cure. Some black market bug spray that really flipping worked would be fine with me. These darn bugs have ruined my life, and the little sanity that motherhood left me is pretty much out the window.

I’m here for you if you need to vent!

5. hearty

newbite

Posted 4 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 23:37:51
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG bugshipcrazy- THANK YOU! And I'm so sorry for you too! Wow...I hate to say how good it is to get confirmation from someone...or rather plain belief and same experience, as awful as it is.
    This is interesting and I am learning. I am not surprised anymore that canine or heat alone might not do the trick. It is truly a matter of finding a needle in the hay stack with these bugs. They are so damn good at surviving with all their little tricks: bites not showing for up to 10 days (Where was I bit? Car, bed, etc. What was I wearing? When was I bit?; ability to drop from things or ceiling; waiting until we're in dead sleep to strike; having numbing agents so we don't feel them; etc etc. Yes when my PCO asked me to provide a picture of an actual live bb (after first treatment)I had a few things to say like, if I knew where they were I would kill them myself! I had the bites, they are unmistakable.
    Sigh. Breathe. Ok. It sounds like you are adding the heat treatment and I may have to add chemical treatment. Both should work! I am very hopeful for you, it is a learning curve. It looks like exterminators are definitely making a profit and not always being 100 honest (or understand) about how difficult this is to get rid of.
    I am single but lost many friends....I can't blame them. They are just waiting for me to come back, and I can tell that they are not sure if i have just gone mad of if this is real. I can only imagine what it might do to a marriage especially if he is of the body type that does not react to bites...
    I hope the treatments will finally work for you and I hope I won't have to hire another professional...Yes, lost our minds and sanity...we are not alone...keep me posted! Energy and sanity to you....peace...lol, yeah right

6. hearty

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 29 2017 0:55:33
    #

Login to Send PM

SO HERE IT IS my second bed bug bite after the second heat treatment and my continuing treatment with items in large bags for Nuvon strip treatments.
    I've been feeling pretty secure on my bed, futon, my clothes, as I felt all had been well heat treated also the floors and walls, building itself.

What do I do next? It is a small 'outbreak' at this point and no one would believe me with a bite every 10 days. I don't know what to trace it back to but am treating bedding, sofa, and clothes and shoes, but I have a large apt with lots of stuff and clothes. I've treated all already in the past. I wonder do I have to wait and let the population increase? This is crazy.

I feel that I need a person, like real hands on help. Now my work, being self employed it suffers hugely ( no time to devote to it), my business has gone down, I need to start it up again but as long as I am preoccupied with this I am losing. My friends, some know most don't. Wondering what happened to me, no time and depressed.

I had a back up plan to hire new professionals to do heat and material follow up treatment, and try CimeXa instead of DE. But right now it seems crazy to tear my whole house (large apt) apart again for 2 bug bites without any signs of bugs anywhere. I currently have glue traps on bed posts and have inspected all frames and mattresses and cleaned numerous times. Never find anything (anymore) I did last year when it started, plenty of evidence then.

Any input/support appreciated.

resigned and depressed

I have to follow up on some suggestions from above

7. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 29 2017 12:11:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Since you rent, I'll mention the landlord in most cities has a legal obligation to remove the bugs.
    It seems likely to me that the bugs are coming in from adjacent apartments.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 29 2017 23:40:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi hardass,

(BTW I am happy to change your username if you email me from the email account in your profile and let me know your first and second choice of username.)

I understand you've seen bed bugs and shed skins in the past and I understand you're convinced you know when your skin reactions are bed bug bites, but skin reactions really aren't the reliable indicators you may think. Are there new fecal stains? If bed bugs are still there and biting, there will be new fecal stains. I'd encourage you more to rely on skin reactions.

Visually verify and then (only then), move ahead with further treatment.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. nosleepqueen

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 0:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no, I thought I'd give your post a check and this seems like a NIGHTMARE. I don't even live in an apartment, but a fully detached house with three bedrooms, three stories and countless hiding spots... a heavenly vacation destination for these nasty critters.

I am so sorry that even after the heat treatments, you're still getting bitten. Like you, I am just as sensitive to BB bites. I know that bites are not immediate signs and shouldn't be taken as such, but I react very specifically to BB bites vs. mosquito or spider bites. I get bitten and the bite starts to swell within minutes. I've woken at three in the morning to an unbearable itch that just won't stop, only to pull back only the top part of my bed sheets and find the culprit, packed full of blood! I have also reacted in seconds - a notable and persistent itch on my elbow only to jump up immediately and see the LIVE BED BUG literally scampering away off the pillow, seemingly aware of its fate.

I am no expert, but I agree with the other comments. Heat treatment, while incredibly effective, sometimes proves futile without the assistance of other treatments. It is wise to do heat treatment then continue further with chemical, dusting, traps and covers. I would not rely on heat treament only, no matter how effective I'm told it is. I am glad that now you are taking to other treatment options, but I feel so so much for you to know you are still dealing with them. I'd notify the landlord and KEEP CHECKING! If you cannot find any, despite your awareness of how exactly you react to the BB's, maybe consider that they might not be BB's. As soon as you find the suspect, post it for an ID. You could be dealing with BB's, carpet beetles, anything.

You do not have to do this alone. I wouldn't do this alone. Remember... it is ok to admit defeat, but do not surrender! The fight against bed bugs is relentless. We lose sleep, our sanity, sometimes friends who are too afraid to approach our homes. We isolate ourselves. Our work falls. We go crazy. Like you told me on my own post, you said yourself - one day WE WILL WIN. LOL. I feel like I'm talking straight out of an action film. But I want to believe just as much as you do that with persistence, these #$!@%'s will be gone. But alas, fifteen months is a long time to deal.

Keep us updated.

10. hearty

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 14:47:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for responses, for now: nobugsonme: I have proof plz see my new post with pics. I feel very lucky this happened so out of the blue as I have been sure that my bites have remained consistant with still having bed bugs very unfortunately. They are in line with frequency/ timing of their cycle and since I indeed had them with proof and everything there isn't anything else that can be biting me with the same quality of bite. VERY characteristic. Otherwise I am the first person to RULE OUT a bed bug bite!!! I wish...please see my images I hope the upload worked

11. HifromChi

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Mon Oct 30 2017 15:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

If you've found additional bed bugs (I didn't see any photo's uploaded to look at) then I'd go fully nuclear again, but this time having chemicals applied after the heat treatment and powder, you need the residual chemicals to kill the stragglers. Keep sleeping in your bed as to not disperse the critters, it will also keep them active since they can't refuse feeding if a meal is present, it will also assure they are crossing into the poison, and keep checking the traps/climb-ups and your bed to make sure you've isolated yourself from them. If they can't feed, they can't keeping growing and/or reproduce.

So sorry you're still battling, here's to hoping this next round knocks them on their buggy little arses.

12. hearty

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 18:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hifrom Chi, thanx for your response, I really appreciate it. I know now as you might as well, that that lil bug was some beetle which I confirm. And, oh, I had thought it divine intervention that I had proof, and knowledge of when and where it bit me. lol. (Have to remind ppl that I definitely had proof last year tho so I have definitely been fighting bbs, for the record.) I will keep 'going nuclear' in mind, currently I am awaiting Cimexa dust, and personally I have no doubt that I have been bitten twice since my last heat treatment (by bed bugs). Having had them for so long I feel rather intimate with their behavior and my bite reactions, which I could expound on. I found confirmation of their biting behavior on me as I researched over the year. I assume by now, with both treatments plus the 2 car treatments and my own cleaning follow up and bagging, that my current population is way down and I have no clue where and when they bit me since it can take a few hours or days in my case to show up after biting.
    Thanx again! I will resort to your list and others when I continue treatment.

13. hearty

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 18:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Nosleepqueen! Alas, I hope you're finding some sleep. Thanx so much for your responses. So glad to hear that things were/are somewhat more settled...for the time being. (you sounded good in your writings, I know it's still awful) Between you and me I guess one can say you have been dealing with a much larger population than I, however: as you say: just that ONE friggin bug (in my case: double bite) ruins everything and makes one start over. No such thing as it being ok either way (large or small). THEY MUST BE COMPLETELY GONE is the thing.
    As I said above I feel sure that I have two sets of bb bites and will work with CimeXa dust and who knows what as time goes by. i will find out, it always takes 7-10 days for me to get bitten again, since I do keep protocols in place. When i stopped i got bitten more and it was awful so I won't stop treatment routines until they are gone. Been there done that. (and yes I had fecal stains and eggs and nymphs on my mattress before)
    I put in a request to change my username, thanx...

It sounds like you are in good shape with your plan to end bugs! I should HIRE YOU when I need more treatments lol. You have youth and energy on your side. You sound very bright and i hope you can continue your studies as best as possible, and soon be free from it all. I totally get the psychological stress on you given depression and isolation- this is too weird that it is happening now in a different form. I'm in 40's and with my psychological make up I had a similar response: as soon as I knew I had bed bugs I fell apart internally cause I knew this was the worst thing for me just mentally speaking. Well, a lot changed since then. My whole life/routine changed but i have come to terms with it currently, still don't know where it will lead me since it isn't over yet, my life isn't 'back' yet. I do enjoy the peace and quite now tho...
    I hope you can work through this (in regards to your added parental trauma) with a therapist...you might have mentioned that. crying is okay too, it helps sometimes. Let us know how it continues!

Hope ALL bugs be gone and we have the strength to fight them till the bitter end... yup action movie time lol

14. hearty

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 18:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanx thirdusername: I rent, but my landlord and i do not have a good relationship, he doesn't with any tenant ever. He would most certainly consider legal action against me for bringing them into his building, so i decided to refrain. I told my neighbors right away though as does my employer where i work. I can not in any case count on any help from my landlord.

I don't think my bbs ever made it to the downstairs apartment, since i was vigilant from day one (14 days of having brought them). I immediately knew what was biting me so the population never got out of hand and never spilled over to downstairs. The stairwell though...was not heat treated and it should have been, actually my PCO said he would but didn't both times.

15. hearty

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 19:20:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Post Script:
    I'm not so sure my sample found in my bed it is NOT a bed bug after all!. After looking at it again and just now all images online it ALWAYS comes out as bed bug to where there actually is little to no similarity to the beetle. There are no legs tho...weird. It looks like a half full of blood female bed bug...no wings on it.

16. mysterybite1

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Tue Oct 31 2017 21:00:04
    #

Login to Send PM

perhaps your neighbors might not tell you if they had a problem. So, it could be that the bugs you are seeing after heat treatment are stragglers from other apartments.

17. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 1 2017 12:10:26
    #

Login to Send PM

HifromChi - 1 day ago  » they can't refuse feeding if a meal is present

Even if they're all full?

18. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 1 2017 12:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

hearty - 17 hours ago  » 
    my landlord and i do not have a good relationship, he doesn't with any tenant ever. He would most certainly consider legal action against me for bringing them into his building

I think those kind of lawsuits get thrown out.
    It doesn't matter how bbs go in the building unless the landlord has proof (which they never do).

If you can afford it, I would move sooner rather than later.

You could be spending money to treat what you think is your problem but is really a building problem.

19. hearty

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 19:40:46
    #

Login to Send PM

New bite on hip. 11 days since last. I REALLY thought it was over this time. Kept light bed bug protocol routine, have not showered excessively and the Cimexa is still on table unused. Can't believe this is still happening but I am also slow on doing everything I ought to. 3rd bite since second heat treatment.

20. hearty

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue Nov 7 2017 20:14:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I had done everything (to excess) after the last bite to completely clean mattress and bed frame. Since then it didn't seem possible for any new bugs to get on my bed. I still have glue traps on posts, and kept protocol to not infest bed in any way. Question is always: where did i get bit (in bed or elsewhere, from clothes etc). Back of my hip bites used to be more frequent when I had them in my car, as were upper back bites in summer. I wonder if my car has them again now. I spent a lot of time in it just this weekend.

21. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 19:33:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Just keep in mind that the whole bed isolation routine doesn't help to get rid of them. It sometimes keeps the number of bites down, but has no effect on the population. And if they can't feed on you in bed, they'll look for you in other places.

22. hjbxo

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 10:12:21
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you I would vacuum my car thoroughly and spray with 90 percent alcohol or raid for bb and maybe after an hour of windows up, air your car out. From experience I would get rid of the box frame or head board. If that’s the thing you lose out of all things, it’s worth it. Locate the main problem and go from there.

23. shinydarkvoid

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sun Nov 12 2017 10:57:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you using bed/furniture leg interceptors? I noticed you said glue traps but I've done some researching and those don't always work like they should. Might be worth the investment to get them for your bed and other furniture, just in case the bugs are in the floor or walls and are getting past the glue traps.

24. hearty

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Nov 13 2017 19:17:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you ALL for your helpful responses. Meanwhile, I've been getting bit multiple times again (double bites on abdomen and thigh in addition to my massive hip double bite and foot) and have fresh tiny dot blood stains, one cluster last weekend and a single a while back, on my mattress, with no open scratch bites that bleed on my body. No doubt as per usual my bed bug population has grown in line within time frame of their cycle since heat treatment, just like after the first one. Finally today, after treating everything on and around my bed and all my clothes, I sat at my computer to make an informed decision as to which company to hire in my city. I was equipped with way more knowledge than ever between THIS informative Forum (there's a list for things to look for on here somewhere), and a phenomenal Youtube tutorial, also radio interview. I shall post some of my findings here as well. I was able to rule out PCOs that advertised: one time treatment being sufficient, only using heat, not treating all areas. I called a company that looked good, I had talked to her a year ago inquiring about it. Her info is very promising. The man who started the Bed Bug treatment within the company will come himself tomorrow for inspection. She on phone told me that they use 135 -150 F heat to ensure eggs die as well. Also they put down poison, dust prior to heat treatment. then they always follow up after 14 days or so. they come at least 3 times altogether. They guarantee 90 days for apt's and I think they come back if needed.
    I have to say I am ... cautiously optimistic. She says they have a near 100 percent success rate but that's what the other guy said. They have been treating dorms, senior citizen homes libraries and schools, residential homes and apartments. I'll see...
    My most recent mistakes and waste of money:
    buying Cimexa, is not helpful to me. I put it in cracks and along baseboards but it has to be put INSIDE deep inside cracks and crevices or it just BLOWS AWAY from where it needs to stay. Also it is impossible to place it everywhere. Especially not before heat treatment. So in my case it was a waste I bought 3 bottles.
    Next I ordered monitors which with the coming treatment is also wasteful. They are NOT cheap. $8 per each is a lot for a little plastic bowl. I spent $60 on monitors and $33 on Cimexa. Not to mention $1000s for everything else and loss of income.
    I hope my car is clean. Not sure there. I covered my seat with plastic and put DE underneath. Hope it's still clear, not conclusive I have any bbs there.
    Well..I hope tomorrows inspection will be good and promising. I know what to ask and what to look for...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7