Will bedbugs feed every night?

(4 posts)
  1. renodakota

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed May 12 2010 23:58:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure if I have bedbugs or not. My bites are not consistent so.... will bedbugs be consistent and bite every night?

2. EnvirocarePestControl

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 13 2010 0:11:18
    #

Login to Send PM

For the most part this is a tricky question to answer because it depends on the individual circumstances and the degree of infestation.

I would in my professional opinion say no. Reason being is that bed bugs feed to molt and develop. Yes they do get "hungry" so to speak but this is more for development and to be able to reproduce, more than anything else.

I would say that if you are getting bitten every night, it is more so caused by multiple bed bugs rather than just one hungry bed bug.

I would recommend the purchase of climbup interceptors. They will accurately tell you if you have bed bugs or not. They are invaluable and I as a Pest Professional have them on my own bed at night. The price is very inexpensive and it is a proven way to know if you have them or not. I hope this helps you out and I wish you the best with your situation.

3. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 13 2010 5:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'n my experience bed bugs will have the odd phase of not requiring sustenance. However clearly it would depend on how heavy the infestation was.Ours seem to take nights off.
    Jacks

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 13 2010 6:28:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bed bugs will feed on average every 3 - 7 nights taking time out between meals to rest and digest. In some cases they will also molt skin and develop at this point in time.

If food is not available they have the ability to remain stationary and conserve energy for long periods of time but will always be active in an occupied area.

If you get bites nightly it may be due to a significant population while occasional bite usually indicates a lighter infestation if you are a continual bite responder. Its not unheard of for people not to have a clear link between bite numbers and bed bug numbers so you always need to be careful about using them as a diagnostic tool.

ClimbUp's and isolation is a good strategy to stop any bed bugs that are located away from your bed from getting to you but it will not stop bed bugs that are already past the barrier isolation. For example and using an old phrase "never leave an outside coat on the bed" if you carry bed bugs on your clothes and place the coat on the bed no amount of bed isolation is going to stop them. Given that an unpublished paper is indicating that most bed bugs locate within 2 meters of the host I suspect isolation is probably most effective in adjoined property infestations or local source scenarios.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.