Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Will BB freeze to death in the airplane lugguge room?

(8 posts)
  1. kraystone

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 28 2007 17:32:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm curious because when I travel to Singapore (in S.E.Asia, not China), my luggage always come out very, very cold. I'm going back again next year and wonder if BB can survive the 18hours long flight in the airplane's luggage storage compartment. I wouldn't want to transport any illegal BB around!

Eva in SF

2. jimmypop2008

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 28 2007 17:49:08
    #

Login to Send PM

My guess would be no, given that for the most part, BBs have found their way here from international travellers. I don't think the compartment is cold enough for long enough to freeze them to death

3. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Oct 28 2007 21:31:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with NO. I think the cargo hold is pressurized but not heated. It takes a long time for BBs to die from the cold.

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Oct 29 2007 16:23:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with the No's here. Didn't they recently find a human stow-away in a flight to Indonesia or somewhere hidden in the wheelwell of the jet (certainly less pressure and colder than the baggage compartment)? He didn't die during the flight. I bet a bedbug wouldn't, either.

5. kraystone

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 30 2007 19:48:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi parakeets, actually he's a stow-away from China, and he died soon after the plane took off...

6. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 30 2007 19:54:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, thanks for the update. I feel terrible about the person. I had only heard they found him. (Or maybe I'm thinking of another story. I'll try to do some research).

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 30 2007 19:57:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a portion of the article I was referring to (happened this month):

A Palestinian man managed to stow away in a wheel well of an airplane flying from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore, prompting Malaysian officials to order a probe into how he breached security, reports said Sunday.

Osama R.M. Shublaq stunned the ground crew at Changi Airport when he fell out from the wheel well of the Singapore Airlines aircraft, a Boeing 777-200, shortly after it landed late Thursday, The Star, a Malaysian daily, reported in its online edition.

It said Shublaq was dizzy from a lack of oxygen after the 55-minute flight, but was otherwise unhurt. Shublaq was detained by Singaporean police and charged with entering the island illegally.

8. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Oct 30 2007 20:09:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Again, I don't think you should count the cargo hold where luggage is stored to kill any BBs. In theory, international travel is how BB's spread to the US. Don't know what to tell you. Examine everything as you pack. Zip up your bags immediately and keep them zipped. Keep your bag away from an infested area to prevent stowaways. Wash or at least ddry in a dryer when you get home. Keep your luggage out of the house unless you are sure.

Don't you hate it? It's what makes these BB so bad. They are not invisible so but so small that they are hard to see.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,970 posts in 29,378 topics over 90 months by 12,671 of 19,927 members. Latest: TheGG, melqtpie, whataretheodds