Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Wicker furniture

(19 posts)
  1. faye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 21:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

What does everyone think about wicker furniture? Do you think it's no different than buying wood based? Better? Worse? I saw a nice wicker dresser I liked but I was afraid it was screaming for bed bugs to live in it. Btw, still no obvious bites in my new apt., but I swear I am getting that paranoid parasitosis stuff

2. 1231

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 21:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I would think that wicker is not a good idea, it's just covered in crevices for them to live in. Good luck to you in your new place!

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 21:50:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Faye,
    I was wondering how you were doing. I'm glad you checked in and glad that things are going good so far.

I don't know about wicker, I sure love it, I have heard the bugs do too. However if you are free of them and you need a piece of furniture, and the price is right and the furniture is bed bug free then I would buy wicker.

Somedays I think I need to live in a house like the Jetsons had (the old cartoon Jetsons) where you could take and just fold up the furniture with a click of the button, and it would be so small you could just throw it in a futuristic pack tite and kill anything...lol

Honestly don't know what to tell you but glad thngs are going well for you!

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 21:57:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Wicker is like a Las Vegas mega hotel for BBs. Far too many harborage opportunities. Pass it up.

Jim

5. faye

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 21:59:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha I thought so. Thanks guys.

6. MyWorstFear

Posted 10 years ago
    Thu Nov 13 2008 22:28:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Faye, you mean you don't want XXL Ziplock "furniture"? Just kidding!
    I read somewhere that wicker is very hard to treat if there are bb's so as long as you are buying new furniture, I'd get something else. Best of luck in your new apt!!!

7. wigginonbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 2:13:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I had 2 items wicker- a bookcase (small) and a fake tree with a wicker base. Everytime I passed by it, I got bit right away- tried to spray, and DE, But just gave up and tossed it! I wouldn't do it even if I was BB free for 10 years or more- (probally-ha)-too paranoid-Pass it up!! Why give them a chance or even one foothold-if by chance----NOOOOOOO!- I won't say it- STAY POSITIVE wigginonbugs!! Good vibes to you!!!

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 7:41:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have to say that wicker is possibly the worst material in the world to treat for bed bugs. Forgetting the fact that it has potentially more harborage that other materials it is also a reed. As such it has lovely small round marks which are the spurs and side branches. These are very difficult to inpsect and can literally send your eyes into a tail spin.

I think this type of furniture is best left with the Victorians. It is certainly not the type of material that I would ever think of recycling.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. LJ

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 11:36:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I use wicker baskets for storage and they're all headed for the trash. I just can't imagine how you'd get at the buggers without dipping the whole thing into a chemical stew! I will save only one and thats my dog's toy & bone basket. That I will put into the sink and treat with boiling water first, then spray with rubbing alcohol along with her toys. I was fortunate that my Victorian wicker fern stand has been out on the balcony since spring - unexposed, and where it will remain until I'm comfortable! I definitely wouldn't go for wicker yet, Faye! Good luck in your new place.

10. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 12:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I heart wicker, but it all had to go early on. Impossible to inspect and de-bug. I hope someday wicker and I can be friends again. She's quite fetching when I'm not afraid of bugs. Plus I'm too lazy to put my shoes away (or I was when I had more than 2 pairs) & wicker boxes are a million times more attractive than a shoe pile -lol

Good luck Faye!!!! I'm so glad to hear from you. Sounds like the move went well. I know what you mean about the paranoid stuff. Whenever I think, 'OMG! could I have brought bugs!?' I break out in bumps & then I can't remember if I had the bumps before or after the thought. Crazy!!

I believe you are free!!!! Hurray!!!!

11. moving

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Nov 14 2008 17:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Years ago I had had an exterminator come in and treat an apartment I was living in.

The BB's disappeared. Like a complete idiot, my neighbor was moving out and asked me if I could hold onto just one small piece of furniture for him - it was make of wicker - and I started getting bitten again.

Then I moved to another building. I treated it myself extensively before I moved in, and had problems there as well. There was a laundromat next door, and I believe a fresh supply of BB from there. I will never move close to a laundry again.

12. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 15 2008 18:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

not only bed bugs but cockroaches also love wicker and probably bugs of every kind dig it too. another problem with wicker is that it absorbs moisture which in turn mixes with the dust particles you can't reach in all the cracks and this turns into a gummy substance which is just icky. sorry but no wicker anything

13. LJ

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Nov 15 2008 20:50:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to say, bugbattler, that your post made me howl. Thank you for your wonderful sense of humour! Worth a million...

14. bugbattler

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Nov 16 2008 11:51:57
    #

Login to Send PM

awwww - thanks LJ

15. brbugfighter

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat May 2 2009 9:37:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep. They really love wicker. The two major infestation spots I found so far were my wicker headboard and this old wicker chest we used to keep folders and office materials in our home office. I scalded it in hot boiling water with a white plastic bag under and counted more than 20 dead bugs and a variety of spiders and other insects. I'm trashing it and all of its contents except my company's accounting books which were sitting right on top of it. What a great place to put your accounting records.

I still have to convince my husband that the wicker headboard and bed have got to go, together with a little uninfested wicker CD tower we have in my daughter's bedroom. After the headboard was scalded in boiling water several times we shrink wrapped it and then covered it in duct tape. It is disgusting, it's molding underneath the protective layers. We are still finding cast skins in our linens about once a week. I also found a fecal speck and an egg on the duct tape covering my headboard.

I'm so tired of these f...bedbugs...

16. O Buggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 10 2010 16:16:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Rats. Rats, rats, rats. Rats & damnit.

For years upon years, I longed for one of those lovely wicker trunks that you see used as coffee tables or at the foot of a bed. Then finally I found one - at the thrift store, which brought it within my price range.

I scrubbed the living hell out of it when I brought it home, with hot water and household cleaner and 70% alcohol, at least twice & maybe three times. Since then I've had it at the foot of my bed, and now it's my cat's favorite lounging place.

But after reading this thread, it's got to go. The bedbug potential is bad enough, but cockroaches...

Everyone has their own special little animal that they hate, loathe, fear and detest. For my best friend it's spiders, for my sister (and Indiana Jones) it's snakes, and of course for most BBers it is bedbugs. For me it is cockroaches.

Just typing the word "cockroach" makes me tense up all over. I have to cover the image of a cockroach on a book or web page in order to read the text in any sort of comfort. Once when I saw a small scuttling creature in the bottom of my dishwasher, I was so grateful to it for turning out not to be a cockroach that I carefully rescued it from the dangerous confines of the dishwasher and welcomed it into my kitchen. (It was a harmless little wolf spider that I regarded as sort of a free-range pet - I named her "Fang." ).

And, although I am generally a green-cleaning & IPM advocate who seldoms allow any chemical stronger than Right Guard into my home, no pesticide seems unacceptable when it comes to killing cockroaches (I know this is how many of you feel about BBs). All the way up to something like to Star Wars style death-star technology: if it left the planet a ruined, smoking husk of blasted and barren rock; I could be okay with that -
    Just So Long As It Killed All The Cockroaches!!!

(note: I am glad that not everyone feels this way, and that cooler heads prevail on the question of keeping the planet more-or-less habitable and in one piece.)

So today is Wicker-Be-Gone Day. My prized wicker trunk, and all my other lovely little (carefully collected and assiduously scrubbed) wicker bins and baskets.
    Rats, rats, rats and damnit.

('nuther note:
    My sincere apologies to any readers whose "special little animal" is rats.)

17. Callisto

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Sep 10 2010 17:38:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I too had a wicker trunk that stayed at the foot of my bed. It let in crazy amounts of dust though, so I had lined it with a white sheet. About a week or so after the PCO sprayed I open it up to try and vacuum it, and lo and behold there are bloodstains on the lining in the lid. Definitely infested. I didn't have any qualms about getting rid of it after that :P.

18. Mofear

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 11 2010 10:25:39
    #

Login to Send PM

This has to be my least favorite thread so far. We have been going crazy recently for weeks---lots of bites, no signs of bugs whatsoever, other than a little bug in our laundry room that makes me wonder, and a couple of carpet beetles. We have Climb Ups on our bed, and a Nightwatch in there too for several days, and NO bugs found. I have been wondering about our living room---I sat on our little WICKER sofa the other day and found some bites on my shoulder. We have other wicker furniture in there too. My husband noticed some bites in the living room the other day. Oh no, do we have to get rid of our wicker furniture? It wasn't cheap. Plus, I don't even know if we have bedbugs yeet! Maybe we should put a Nightwach in there??
    Mofear

19. OhDearMe

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 11 2010 11:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so trashing my wicker hamper. I don't have them as far as I know but am terrified of getting them. And I don't want to keep anything around that is good for them. Its bad enough I have a captain's bed. :/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982