Why is a bedbug skin in my kitchen?

(8 posts)
  1. mlandri1

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 20:35:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Found this in my kitchen today (dead in the middle of the floor).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mklfieldwork/6274808130/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mklfieldwork/6274281079/in/photostream
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mklfieldwork/6274808130/in/photostream
    Underside: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mklfieldwork/6274282497/in/photostream

It really looks like a bed bug to me (I've had them before in a different apartment so I've seen some in real life) excerpt for a few things. First, it's much larger than any I've seen. Second, it was in the kitchen (and appeared during the day in the kitchen -- I swept this morning and he wasn't around then). Third, after I took these pictures, I smushed him to see if he was full of blood and he definitely wasn't, though I suppose this could just be a cast skin.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I haven't had any bites -- or at least not any that behave like bed bug bites (occasionally tiny pinprick size things from gnats, that look and behave nothing like the bed bug bites I got last time). I inspect my bed on a weekly basis out of paranoia and have had no signs whatsoever of bugs there. I did, however, do laundry at a laundromat yesterday, so I suppose I could have brought a dead guy home with me from that.

Any identification advice? If it is a bug, and we think I might have gotten it from the laundromat is there any precaution I can take to make sure the rest of my clothes are safe? Advice?

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 20:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not one of the experts (they'll probably be along) so I can't tell you what it is, but it's clearly *not* a bed bug. If I had to guess I would say some kind of roach based on the cerci but absolutely don't quote me on that.

-rs917

3. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 20:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

...Some type of woodlouse.

4. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 21:03:03
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg - 10 minutes ago  » 
    ...Some type of woodlouse.

Yeah, I think that you're right.

-rs1971

5. bedbugman

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 21:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Yep

Just an idea but how about putting together a gallery section on the forum with photos of bed bugs and other things that are not bed bugs it could be a big help for the hundreds users who send in ID requests every month.

I would be happy to send in some photos of bed bugs I,m sure others would also contribute.

6. mlandri1

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Oct 23 2011 21:42:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all! And I would be totally behind bedbugman's "not a bedbug" gallery idea. I'm so mentally wired because of my one experience with bedbugs that basically anytime I feel a minor itch or see any kind of small, non-flying insect, I immediately bring photos here. Having a reference point would cause a lot less headache for the people here, I think.

7. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 4:28:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugman - the gallery of which you speak exists. It's in the FAQs, accessible via the link at the top of this page.

8. laststrawsue

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 24 2011 9:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Never saw anything like that - but my 1st reaction was -- Definitely NOT a bed bug.
    Of course I've only ever seen 2 bed bugs in person, but I've looked at hundreds of pictures online of confirmed bed bugs of all stages. None of them look like the pictures in the OP.

I agree a "not a bed bug" gallery would be a fantastic idea.

I swear on this forum I've seen pictures of more variety of bugs & related invertebrate creatures, than in a David Attenborough special... posted for purposes of determining it's not a bed bug.

Of course most importantly, I'd like to congratulate the OP, on NOT having a bed bug.

I have personally decided that I would rather have spiders, ants, roaches, centipedes, mosquitoes, beetles, skunks, possums, scorpions, bears, and maybe even alligators & snakes, rather than bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.