Why are they in my bathroom??

(6 posts)
  1. craziness

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 0:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I just caught a nymph and what I think was a baby - one of those teeny ones that looks like a line. I had only seen adults before now - does this mean some eggs just hatched somewhere? I've been thinking they are coming through the bathroom walls/pipes from my downstairs neighbor, because otherwise I can't figure out why they would be in there. (The bathroom is next to the bedroom, but I've seen more bugs in the bathroom than the bedroom.)

Somehow seeing the younger ones is even more upsetting than seeing the adults.

My PCO prep guys are coming tomorrow morning. I saved the nymph on some tape for them to see. I tried to save the littler one too, but I mostly just squished it into oblivion with the tape.

Now I feel like they're crawling all over me.

Also just saw one of those scary centipedes that I heard eats cockroaches and bedbugs... guess he heard I had some for him. He was in the kitchen, though... really, really hoping my bedbugs haven't migrated that far.

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 1:02:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Craziness...i killed a nice big house centipede just the other day! Are you going to let your centipede live?

Yes, bbs can come in through the bathroom.

that crawling feeling is a natural reaction. Take a nice hot shower.

Have you been able to sleep?

I see you just joined, so if you can't sleep, spend time reading the posts because there's alot of information there about preping and if you can afford, getting a PackTite.

You'll get through this.

3. craziness

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 1:43:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi DeedleBeetle

Thanks for the moral support. Yes, I'm letting my centipede live. I hate those things, but if he's going to eat some bedbugs, he's welcome to stay. Also, he ran off and I don't know where he is now.

Heh... a shower would be more appealing if I didn't keep finding bugs in there.

I've been staying up until I'm super tired so that I'll fall asleep as soon as I get in bed and won't lie there awake thinking about bugs. I isolated my bed and cased the mattress a few days ago, and I don't think I've been bitten too much since then. (Hard to tell, because the old bites seem to keep reactivating on me.) Of course, this morning I woke up to the sound of my cat ripping a hole in the mattress case... but now she's at the vet being boarded for the next few days, and I taped over the hole as best I could. I'll have to take the case off Wednesday anyway when the mattress gets treated.

I do have a Packtite and it's been a lifesaver - I borrowed it from a friend of a friend who had bugs last fall. In my last batch I actually found a dead little bug at the top of the pile when I opened it. Which I guess is good, I mean, it was dead and everything. But that means they have definitely gotten into my dresser, I guess. I wanted to believe they weren't really all over my stuff (although I was still planning to treat/Packtite everything anyway).

I hired the PCO prep team to come and help with the prep, because I'm leaving town on Sunday and knew I would never be able to get everything done on my own before then. And I definitely didn't want to wait until I got back, since that seemed like it would just let the problem get worse while I was away. I've been Packtiting stuff I need to bring on my trip and clothes I want to wear this week, and I'll let the PCO guys bag and treat all the rest of my stuff. It's crazy expensive but seemed like my only option. My main concern though is that if the bugs are coming up from downstairs, even if I do everything right and my apartment becomes 100% bug-free, new ones could just migrate up and start the process all over again. Hopefully the PCO guys will be able to seal off the bathroom more completely (I caulked around the pipes, which I thought was helping since I hadn't seen new bugs since then, but then tonight kind of destroyed that theory. Unless the bugs I'd seen previously had laid eggs and those are now hatching somewhere in my bathroom... ugh.)

Anyway. I'm going to go watch a DVD until I feel like I can sleep. Have to get up early tomorrow for the prep guys...

Thanks again for the response. I'm so glad I found this forum - really helps to know I'm not alone with this. And you're right, the info on here has been incredibly helpful.

4. mcsmcs

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 8:05:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a doctor, so please check with a pharmacist before you try this, but one thing I've done to sleep is taken Benadryl at night. It works to knock me out (although it does make some people wired) and it cuts down on any reactions I have from bug bites, or at least I think it does. We give it to the kids when they get stung by a bee to ward off an allergic reaction so it makes sense it would work.

Just a thought. But please check with a doctor or pharmacist before you take it, unless you've taken it before, especially if you are taking any other meds or have any health issues.

5. craziness

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 8:48:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, mcsmcs. I actually did take some Benadryl last night - I'd read that it could help with bite reactions, and I knew from taking it in the past that it might help me sleep. Even so, after my nymph discovery (and a second one later, on the wall outside my bathroom) I didn't end up getting to sleep until after 3am. I kept walking around my apartment with a flashlight and tape, looking for more bugs.

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jul 6 2010 13:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I had insomnia before I got bed bugs, and let me tell you, the bed bugs certainly didn't help with the insomnia.

The one trick that worked reliably for me was this: narrative.

Whether it was television, a video game, or a book, if I could get myself engrossed in a story, that would be enough to take my mind of bed bugs. So I would watch television, play a video game, or read a book until my eyes were dropping. I'd keep the lights low while I was doing that, and i'd make sure that I was ready for bed: contact out, face washed, teeth brushed, etc.

Then when I was super tired, I'd stumble into bed and try to drop off before my brain had time to freak out about the bugs.

If I panicked while thinking about them, I'd go back to whatever story I was engrossed in and try it again.

That worked better for me than most other strategies.

Hope that helps.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,196 posts in 29,412 topics over 90 months by 12,685 of 19,944 members. Latest: glinsar, WhoCares2014, hbastion