Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Why are the climb ups not working?

(12 posts)
  1. Finleyfoo1

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Jul 31 2013 21:56:34
    #

Login to Send PM

After two spray treatments our pest guy gave us climb ups. We inspected all the beds to rule out any bugs in the beds themselves. The mattresses are all pristine (as are box springs). We moved the beds away from the walls and tucked in all linens. We put talc in the climb ups. It has been 4 nights and we are all still getting bites but there is not one bug in any climb up? I don't get it? Are they parachuting off the ceiling each and every time?

2. NY Bug Man

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 0:28:56
    #

Login to Send PM

The climb ups are BS.

Surround your bed in a kiddie pool of oil and you'll still get bit. Chances are the bugs are still in your headboard, frame, mattress or box spring.

Tell the PCO to cut the crap and get rid of your bugs

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 6:20:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Some clarification for all:

1. Climbups are, in fact, a useful tool. (This is a long time proven strategy from the days when folks would place tin cans of kerosene under their bed legs.)

2. There are likely bed bugs harboring in your bed above the climbups that were missed. As such, you will need to totally dismantle your bed to inspect and treat thoroughly such that no bed bugs or eggs are missed.

Note, in WW II when bd bugs were a significant problem for our troops, the US Army guys would construct temporary vats of liquid insecticide (yup, DDT) and dunk the bed frames within these vats such that no bed bugs were missed. There's a photo of this in the book. They also fumigated the barracks using hydrogen cyanide (really nasty stuff but effective).

The trick to bed bugs is being very thorough !

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 7:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Two things immediately spring to mind:

1 Have you been re-dusting the interceptors every 14 days, they require it but few people remember to mention that fact.

2 Is this 100% confirmed as bedbugs with one or more of the following:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

If not I would focus on confirming before you look at more treatment.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  5. NY Bug Man

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 16:18:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Very interesting PB You learn something new every day. I wish we still had some good old DDT.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 19:58:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually, ddt would not be very helpful against bed bugs these days as published university trial data indicates that even at application rates of 10% for LC 50 and LC 90, ddt could not produce results beyond the LC 50 level against wild caught bed bugs. This is so because bed bug resistance to ddt has been well documented.

However, there are those who would like to see ddt back on a global basis for purposes of mosquito control to abate malaria, dengue and other maladies.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. Finleyfoo1

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 1 2013 22:22:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for all the comments.

I have had the climb ups for 4 days so they do not need recoated yet. It is possible I put too much talc in them but wouldn't the bugs get the calc on their legs and slip in anyways?

There is virtually no chance the bugs are in the bed. The bed frame was just purchased (and I inspected it closely). The mattress and box springs are only a few months old and pristine. No signs anywhere. The bedding has all been washed and heat treated. All the other beds are pristine too. Plus they have all been treated.

In any case, it is starting to seem like we may not have bed bugs though we have something since we keep getting bites.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 0:27:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Finley,

It sounds like you might not have bed bugs.

But just to add-- if you DID have bed bugs, bed bug bites can appear after a delay of hours, days or even weeks (and almost never appear immediately), and bed bugs can bite in other areas of the home.

Those are just two obvious reasons why you might be bitten after using ClimbUps.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Finleyfoo1

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 14:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Nobugsonme - that is a good point. Still, with three beds having climb ups it seems that at least one bed bug would have been caught in them by now.

Also, we are all at work all day long and even in the evening we don't sit around much so the most logical place for the bed bugs to want to get to us is in bed at night. I think biting opportunities would otherwise be few and far between!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 16:20:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, that's true, but it remains true that bite reactions which appear after four days or even a week or more are not uncommon.

Still, if you are being bitten, there will be bed bug fecal stains.

11. Dichroic

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 19:33:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you encase your mattress and box spring?

12. Finleyfoo1

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Aug 2 2013 20:47:37
    #

Login to Send PM

No. No encasements. But the beds have been fully inspected and they have also been treated (sprayed) by the pest guy.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.