Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » About the Forums

Who's Who at Bedbugger (non-expert edition)

(10 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 8 2013 20:16:42
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi reminded me of the need for a "Who are we?" page, explaining in particular who the experts that post frequently are. For that, go here.

I think a second list is useful too for longtime non-experts also.

I am thinking this will primarily be people who don't currently have bed bugs and are here to support others. Non-experts who are participating for a while and wish to be included, please post a few sentences below. This is only going to be useful if it's not too long to read, so please be brief (if needed, I may edit your entry for the final version).

It's up to you if you want to say when you had/stopped having bed bugs, where you're from, or note any relevant special skills. Please include a link to your success story post, so I can link to that too. (If you don't have one, it's a great time to post one Include a link to the photo on flickr/imgur, etc. if you are using a custom avatar and I will include it. (You may be able to email this if needed also-- let me know.)

I ask that non-experts in the "newbite" category hold off until they've been here a while and reached at least junior member status.

The purpose is that this will hopefully help newer forum users see who you are. I am thinking especially of people who don't know to look in your profile or don't know how to find your success story post.

We're often reminded that to someone who's just joined, it seems like "everyone here" has bed bugs, so this is one more way of encouraging new folks-- they can see many of us are sticking around just to help. I hope you will include yourself and I hope you'll give other longtime members a poke and ask them to do it too.

Please don't use this thread for discussion -- posting once is ideal though of course if you made an error, feel free to post a second time to correct it.

On that note, many, many thanks again for sticking around to help! I never say it nearly enough.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 6 2013 22:23:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm nobugs, I started the site in 2006 and run it.

I haven't posted a success story that I can link to. The reason is that it's hard to run the site for so long and stay anonymous (which I do for reasons related to my day job-- which isn't related to the pest industry).

That said, I started Bedbugger.com for the same reason that most of you ended up here-- for discussion about what it's like to have bed bugs and how to deal with them, focusing as much as possible on sharing good information.

From about 2006-2010, I also blogged here about almost every bed bug news story that came out. (In late summer 2010, it got to a tipping point where there were just too many stories, so now I am more selective.)

Cilecto, Louise, AbsolutelyFreaking, Theyareoutthere, rs1971, and everyone else who's currently active and has been around a while, please share your bio and a link to your success story if you have one!

I hesitate to name those names and I apologize I am leaving many others out, but this is for everyone who has been here a while and sticks around to respond to newcomers. The purpose is to help newbites know who's who-- not just the experts (in this thread) but the longtime Bedbuggers who, while not professionals, have picked up a thing or two.

Thanks!

3. Louise

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jul 8 2013 23:00:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, my name is Louise and I haven't see a bed bug (or bat bug) in person for almost four years.

In short, our experience was limited to one summer dealing with bat bugs at our cabin, but it was - compared to what so many others go through - relatively short and painless.

Well, except for the emotional trauma. These bugs just stressed me right out, to the point that I was ready to sell - or at least avoid - the cabin. No one else in my family shared my paranoia, though.

Life has since returned to normal - or at least, to the new normal - and I only dream about bed bugs occasionally nowadays. I am careful to check any hotel rooms I stay in (and have become much quicker at it than I used to be), and have only found evidence in one hotel (a dead, legless bed bug).

This site was so incredibly helpful and ACCURATE (because there's so much on the internet that just isn't), that I have hung around ever since.

For those who are interested, you can find my "success story" (such as it is) here: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/update-bat-bugs-in-cabin

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jul 14 2013 9:28:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, Louise!

I'm Ci Lecto (short for "Cimex Lectularius") and I joined the forum in 2008. Already overwhelmed trying to take care of my elderly mom and dad, I chanced upon a tiny bug I'd never seen before. Having recently read a scare article about BB, I searched and discovered Bedbugger.com and how to get an ID (BB nymph). The bug didn't freak me out, as much as the "wash everything - bag everything - toss the couch" prep instructions from the PCO I was considering (who had never been inside the apartment to inspect). People here on the forum "talked me off the ledge". I applied DE (incorrectly) and threw out a few things I did not need and did not see any activity after that first bug. It was likely a stray, left by a visitor with a BB problem.

I'm fascinated by the bed bug and kind of admire the ability of this tiny, flightless creature to survive by essentially being "conservative"; finding safe places to hide, knowing when it's sage to come out, eating only what it needs to survive. (That's why I adopted "Ci Lecto" as my handle.) In general, I find crawling critters amusing and life-affirming.

The resurgence of bed bugs can profoundly affect our lifestyle. If furniture needs to be thrown out, we'll stop buying and making good things and will instead live on disposable crap. If we can't trust our neighbor, our train or our theater, we'll wall ourselves into our little castles and surf the net all day.

The tools we need to fight bed bugs are all "out there". Trouble is, the information we need is so obscured by misinformation, some of it planted by people who want to make money off it. Bedbugger is a beacon in the storm, helping to make things a little better.

When I'm not on the forum, I'm a married, male, middle-aged technology project manager in NYC with a weakness for baked goods.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jul 18 2013 22:40:37
    #

Login to Send PM

nightmarebug - 6 hours ago  » 
    So just wondering... Did any of the elders here actually have multiple BBs?

Hi nightmarebug,
    Please copy and paste your message to a new thread.
    This thread is just for bios. Thanks!

6. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jul 23 2013 18:00:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I'm a software developer in the Southwest in my early 40s and like most of the non-professionals on the site I stumbled through the door one day when I thought that I had bed bugs. I was one of the fortunate ones though, in that it was a false alarm. Still, the situation was not without it's stressful moments. Though the marks on my skin turned out not to be bites at all, as luck would have it, I did find an insect crawling on me which was close enough in appearance to elicit one of the few false positive responses from a few of the board pros. I finally ended up sending it to Lou in New York to get it conclusively identified. At the time the thread was known as the longest ID thread in the history of the site.

I'm not really sure why I've struck around, with my own issues behind me. I guess like Cilecto above, I just sort of developed a general interest in the topic. I'm especially interested in the psychological affects that (even the possibility of) these things have on people and the paranoia that surrounds them. Plus, the ID threads can be kind of interesting. It turns out that looking at pictures of bugs, makes for a nice break from writing Java.

7. bbcomox

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 20:58:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I became interested in bedbugs since 2005, when I was a volunteer in a hostel. My volunteer position was to take hostellers to local attractions, and during my tours, I would hear comments from hostellers on their experience with bedbugs. However, I did not think too much of them at that time. In 2007, I got a different job, completely unrelated to the tourism industry, but I began to pay more attention to bedbugs because I stayed in hostels whenever I travelled. I loved how in hostels, you interact more with travellers from around the world. At first, I would check BedBugRegistry to see any reports on the hostels. I would pay less attention to the reports, but more on how the hostel managers would react to the bedbug reports by their guests.

As there have been more media reports on bedbugs, I began to be more be vigilant; especially, checking my hostel beds and hotel rooms. I would read this forum excessively as a guest, subscribe to BedBugTV on YouTube, read news articles, etc.

My first real experience with bedbugs was this past July, when I caught a live sample on my bedframe:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bug-identification-please-3

This incident got me to register as a member of this site to seek support and feedback. I have appreciated all of your help.

I found bedbugs fascinating, because how could such a pest, at least to me, be more frightening than cockroaches, fleas, spiders, etc.? I have lost sleep and concentration at work over these critters. In addition, the confirmed case had costed me an entire paycheque, so it had a big financial hit on me.

Bedbugs has changed how I behaved: I stopped going to secondhand and vintage stores, I avoided cinemas, I borrowed electronic books from the library, I stared at public chairs briefly before sitting down, I only shopped for food and essentials, etc. Bedbugs have certainly affected my behaviour! I would still travel, but be extra careful returning home, using my PackTite Closet.

I want to thank this site and its members, as it is a beacon of truth, help and support in amidst of other sites that are trying to sell products and services. Thank you.

8. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Nov 15 2013 8:08:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I became the victim of bedbugs about a year and a half ago through the acquisition of a second hand futon, and the stress and anguish involved has really been a bitch, to put it lightly. I have learned so much about bedbugs and their biology online since the problem started, as well as learning from my own trial and error methods of controlling them. As it turns out the management of the apartment building where i live was alerted to the presence of bedbugs in one of the units by the caretaker of an elderly person who was heavily infested and a canine inspection was done in every unit in the building and nearly half the building turned out to be infested. Orkin was called and heat as well as spray treatments were done and the bedbug problem now appears under control...For now. This is an excellent site btw. really glad i found it, as bedbug victims have an outlet here where they can offer moral support to each other without embarrassment as well as useful advice being given by experts and novices alike.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 18:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I am removing this from the green stickies because it is covered in the FAQS About the Forums (How to use the forums), itself a green sticky.

Fewer stickies makes it easier for people to find information. People are more likely to see and read a few stickies (and thus find more) if there are not so many. Also, for stickies that get updated, updates are more likely to be seen if they are in "Latest Discussions".

I am tagging this thread “former stickies”, so you can find it again easily. You should also subscribe to this or other threads you want to follow. You can do this at the top of any thread.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Dec 10 2014 18:35:40
    #

Login to Send PM

And since no non-pro forum regulars have added themselves in a year, please do so if you are a "junior member" status or above. Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

251,998 posts in 40,263 topics over 123 months by 17,630 of 17,970 members. Latest: scarred4lyfe, ssieberfl, sierram1291