Who can identify bat bug vs. bed bug

(7 posts)
  1. seannaes12

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2011 21:48:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I found one adult bug, which after googling, I thought was a bedbug. However, after more searching, I saw the image of a bat bug. The bat bug makes since because I know I currently have a maternal colony of bats that I can't remove until late fall.

My issue is I would like to be positive this is a bat bug. I'm reluctant in calling in pest control, because my thinking is they have experience with bed bugs and will treat it as such only looking at the bug with the naked eye.

After doing some research, it sounds like if it is a bat bug, they are likely to stay near the bat colony until they leave. My wife was recently in the attic is where we are thinking the one we found came from. So, at this point, my plan of attack would be much different depending on if this is a bed bug versus a bat bug. Maybe it's my pessimism, but I have a feeling a Pest Control company would call it a bed bug and want to tear into the house immediately.

Is there an agency I can take the bug (it's been dead for 1 day) for identification??

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2011 21:56:48
    #

Login to Send PM

seannaes12 - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I found one adult bug, which after googling, I thought was a bedbug. However, after more searching, I saw the image of a bat bug. The bat bug makes since because I know I currently have a maternal colony of bats that I can't remove until late fall.
    My issue is I would like to be positive this is a bat bug. I'm reluctant in calling in pest control, because my thinking is they have experience with bed bugs and will treat it as such only looking at the bug with the naked eye.
    After doing some research, it sounds like if it is a bat bug, they are likely to stay near the bat colony until they leave. My wife was recently in the attic is where we are thinking the one we found came from. So, at this point, my plan of attack would be much different depending on if this is a bed bug versus a bat bug. Maybe it's my pessimism, but I have a feeling a Pest Control company would call it a bed bug and want to tear into the house immediately.
    Is there an agency I can take the bug (it's been dead for 1 day) for identification??

It's very likely (as you mention) that any PCO you hire will not be able to distinguish a bat bug from a bed bug. If you have a digital camera, you could try taking the highest resolution image you can of the bug and putting it up on photobucket (or some other photo site) and posting a link here. There are a number of entos who read / post on this board who will be able to ID it for you (assuming that the photo is of satisfactory quality). If for some reason you can't post a photo, another option would be to try a local university.

Good luck.

-rs1971

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jun 17 2011 22:41:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You can try placing the bug directly on a scanner and posting the image to photobucket or other photo site.

Here is an identification guide for bat bugs in this U of Minn publication
    http://www.ipmctoc.umn.edu/Bed_bug_versus_Bat_Bug.pdf

4. IcantbeleiveIhavethesethings

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 8:27:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Try calling George the entomologist at

Environmental Health services
    (877) 507-0698

I know he has experience with both Bat and Bed bugs and that is one thing he wanted to double check for when we were going thru our mess.

If you have bat bugs you will not get rid of them by treating for bed bugs because the bat bugs don't live near the bed. They live near the bats.

5. seannaes12

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 11:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa451/seannaes12/

This is a link to 3 pics. Not sure if the quality is good enough, but worth a shot I guess.

6. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 15:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Quality is no where good enough for identification of bat vs bed bug. You need to be able to see the "hairs" near the eye.

Take the samples to an entomologist in your area.

Sean

7. seannaes12

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jun 18 2011 18:54:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replies and help everyone. A local pest control company was able to help me out. They were able to determine it is a bat bug. Thank goodness.

Anyway, I recommend OPC Pest Control here in the Louisville, KY area. They were extremely helpful and quickly responded.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,386 posts in 29,445 topics over 90 months by 12,706 of 19,969 members. Latest: hinfungyik, abq671, skittles1234