White mite looking bugs in bedroom

(10 posts)
  1. Steeltrap86

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2009 21:32:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Help! I just noticed these today, and it appears there are quite a few. They are small, the size of the tip of a pen. The bedroom has always had a musty smell and we don't use it, just have drawers with clothes and toys. But I notice a few on the dresser. Then upon looking on the dark sheets a few more and then there was a pile of clothes stacked on a chair, and found yet another little white mite looking thing. Are these bed bugs... Please help..

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 0:00:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Without a photo, it's hard to tell. Unfed bed bug nymphs are sort of an off-white/translucent color, but so are book lice.

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 0:17:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Mites are arachnids and have 8 legs where BB's have 6.

Book lice will ignore you where transparent BB nymphs will try to bite you.

It would take nerves of steel but is ultimate proof, see if one bites you.

Jim

4. Steeltrap86

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 14:42:01
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 14 hours ago  » 
    Jim

Jim, I put my finger near a few of these critters and they scattered away. I caught one on tape. Under a microscope it kind of resembled book lice, but I'm not sure. Would the nymphs had headed toward my hand. These things only seem to be on the top of dressers and on a pile of clothes that was sitting on a chair. None are big.

5. Steeltrap86

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 15:06:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Steeltrap86 - 22 minutes ago  » 

spideyjg - 14 hours ago  » 
    Jim

Jim, I put my finger near a few of these critters and they scattered away. I caught one on tape. Under a microscope it kind of resembled book lice, but I'm not sure. Would the nymphs had headed toward my hand. These things only seem to be on the top of dressers and on a pile of clothes that was sitting on a chair. None are big.

Under the microscope, it looks like an ant., I also noticed that they are in areas where there is a high concentration of dust particles. This was a room we don't really use. It has a musty smell to it, because there was some water damage recently. But I only noticed these when it got really hot and humid the past few days.

6. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 15:53:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

With the damp and water damage I would say they are highly likely to be pscocids or book lice which feed on mould and fungal spores.

The other suspect would be bird mites but they are usually found swarming at the wall ceiling junction.

Its certainly not bed bug sounding behaviour though.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 16:04:43
    #

Login to Send PM

All the evidence you have describes points to psocids.

BB nymphs that are clear are very likely hungry and would detect the heat of your hand as food and head towards it to feed.

If under a microscope they, "look like ants." That really sounds like a psocid. Mites have 8 legs if you want a definite ID characteristic.

Jim

8. Steeltrap86

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 20:50:30
    #

Login to Send PM

So how do I get rid of these ugly things. I don't want them wandering into other areas of the house. Thank you so much for the advice, I feel a little more releived although they are ugly. I opened up a book that was in the room, and there were a few in it.

9. Steeltrap86

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 22:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Steeltrap86 - 1 hour ago  » 
    So how do I get rid of these ugly things. I don't want them wandering into other areas of the house. Thank you so much for the advice, I feel a little more releived although they are ugly. I opened up a book that was in the room, and there were a few in it.

I caugth another with tape. Definatly eight legs. Seems like there aren't as many now that the humidity has dropped. But still wondering what do I use to get rid of the darn things. I'm afraid to vacum because I don't want them in other spots of the house..

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2009 23:06:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you sure it is 8 legs and you aren't counting the antenna or mouth parts?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/e611psocid.html

If 8 legs they are arachnids of some sort. Got a digital camera? Put it up to the lens when focused and get a shot.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,352 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter