Which steamer , which vacuum please

(8 posts)
  1. trappa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 10:34:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Im looking to buy a steamer AND a hand held vacuum specifically for BBs. Is there any that are being championed on the forum or specific models that are being shunned? Im in the UK if that means anything.
    Thanks in advance

2. barelyliving

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 11:02:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Many of the pros here use the Polti Cimex Eradicator which is supposed to be VERY good, but it's very pricy-- currently about $1300 US, I think. There are other recommendations in the steamer resource or FAQ page on this site.

With vacuums, I think you have to be careful if they have a filter because bugs could be left there instead of in the bag when you dispose of it. A good recommendation when you use a vacuum for bed bugs is to use a crevice tool with part of a women's panty hose secured at the top of the tool going inside so when you vacuum up a bug it stays in the panty hose and you can put it in a ziplock bag to dispose of.

Good luck.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 11:03:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Depends on your budget.

It it stretches to it the Polti Cimex Eradicator is the only steamer based device I personally recommend but then again its the only one specifically designed for bed bugs. If your budget does not stretch to that its not worth going down the steamer route and it may be cheaper to get someone in to treat for you.

With regards cleaners, suction power is the key feature which pretty much excludes all the handheld units in the UK as they are all too weak. This may mean that you need to think about some tweaks and modifications to the one that you get. This having been said there is always a trade of between modifying the suction and reducing the cooling potential of the air flowing around the motor which can lead to excessive wear.

Hope that makes sense and gives you some pointers, there was another thread about steam yesterday which is worth reading.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. trappa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 11:08:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you very much

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri Mar 10 2017 15:06:03
    #

Login to Send PM

The FAQ on steamers may help also.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. trappa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 4:36:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks nobugsonme, i will have a look. Im basically wanting a steamer thats powerful enough to kill all stages of BB but the CE is a little on the expensive side.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Mar 12 2017 11:37:23
    #

Login to Send PM

trappa - 6 hours ago  » 
    Thanks nobugsonme, i will have a look. Im basically wanting a steamer thats powerful enough to kill all stages of BB but the CE is a little on the expensive side.

You don't need one of the highest end steamers to kill bed bugs. There are low end models in our steamer FAQ. Dry vapor steamers start at about $299 US and you probably have equivalent models in the UK. (Polti is an Italian brand which makes the CE, but they also have lower end models of dry vapor steamer.)

Dry vapor steamers cost more than the lowest end steamers, but put out a "drier" steam which lessens the likelihood of mold and water damage. The FAQ goes into more detail.

8. trappa

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Mar 13 2017 10:01:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Appreciate the reply nobugsonme. Ill have a look now. Cheers!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

253,537 posts in 40,563 topics over 124 months by 17,751 of 18,112 members. Latest: gabbyr, waterhead, Brokegradstudent