Where there is smoke .....

(9 posts)
  1. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 8 2015 19:04:27
    #

Login to Send PM

"Following an undercover investigation, the NYC Health Department announced it found 13 hookah bars in the city, including four in Queens, selling substances containing tobacco to their patrons, violating the city’s Smoke-Free Air Act." For anyone who has been in a hookah bar it should come as no surprise that they meet or exceed the requirements of a possible bed bug transfer station. Imagine a dimly lit upholstered environment where a significant number of people go to lounge, hang out and otherwise relax. Shedding their backpacks, coats, jackets and other weather insulators in the soft shelter of pillows and cloth covered wood benches. Sounds like bed bug nirvana to me. I have commented on this issue before as a result of the suspicions of people who frequent them and from those who may treat them for other pests. The claim is denied when confronted but in light of these recent findings can you really trust someone who is trying to harm you for profit? Try showing up in a Tyvek suit and see how fast you get hooked up (sic). Warning Will Robinson, Warning.

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2015 0:29:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Moving on up!

3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2015 11:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate where you're coming from, Sir Winston, but that could apply to a number of other establishments. Libraries, book stores, coffee shops, etc. Comfy, upholstered chairs and couches have been and continue to be quite trendy in a number of public places.

4. bedbugsuptown

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2015 12:06:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Tend to only use the term 'sir' when I find myself in a bull pen being pushed around by correction officers--that being said, yeah I agree with you. Those characters frequenting hookah bars, very suspect.

bbda-bump

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2015 12:10:00
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsyracuse -  » 
    I appreciate where you're coming from, Sir Winston, but that could apply to a number of other establishments. Libraries, book stores, coffee shops, etc. Comfy, upholstered chairs and couches have been and continue to be quite trendy in a number of public places.

Yep! Hells Bells . . . I still can't even make myself go to the movies (I have come close though) . . . so a hookah bar . . . "Oh Hell No!"

(But surprisingly . . . I haven't had the same aversion to other type bars! (Or maybe not surprisingly at all!)) haha!

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 12 2015 16:52:44
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsyracuse - 5 hours ago  » 

And bed bugs are found in so many these other locations -- many of which are replacing their "soft furnishings" with less bed bug-friendly gear.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 13 2015 0:03:16
    #

Login to Send PM

True No Bugs many locations have moved to bed bug safe mode, unfortunately Hookah bars do not seem to be one of them. Like a number of places, you would cringe if you saw them in the light of day or a good flashlight or UV light.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 13 2015 0:35:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston O. Buggy - 20 minutes ago  » 
    True No Bugs many locations have moved to bed bug safe mode, unfortunately Hookah bars do not seem to be one of them. Like a number of places, you would cringe if you saw them in the light of day or a good flashlight or UV light.

Yes-- I have no doubts you're right.

buggyinsyracuse seemed to be questioning why bed bugs would be a particular issue at hookah bars rather than these other types of locations.

I think the answer may be partly that the other locations (libraries, coffee places, etc.) can and do get bed bugs. However, there's both more daylight in those places, which are likely less dark during opening hours-- so more chance of seeing the problem. And there's also more awareness (at least in the case of libraries)-- which is why many are changing furnishings and practices.

Take a different industry with little oversight (as in, they're already breaking smoking laws), and it seems like the potential might be there for a situation where less care is taken over risks related to bed bugs.

9. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 28 2015 16:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

A client told me about a long standing issue that a hookah bar on the lower east side had. They were throwing out some furniture & couches and there were visible bed bugs on the items.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,362 posts in 46,556 topics over 141 months by 20,532 of 21,395 members. Latest: Bedbugvaca, jidhvs1, Darrellkking