Where do the bed bugs go?

(15 posts)
  1. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 13:42:46
    #

Login to Send PM

If you encase the mattresses and boxsprings and isolate your bed then where do the bed bugs go?
    I believe that encasements are of course for protection so you do not have to toss, but by not giving them an easy location at the host site do they then crawl into your floors, walls anf furniture or look for you in alternative places that they can get to you like your couch.

2. badlybugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 14:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I was informed by a PCO that bbs will travel to the couch, especially if the bed-sleeper speds a lot of time on the couch (couch-potato).

Hopefully, once one encases a mattress, then treating the area kills the bugs left out of the covering. Given this assumption, it is very strange that I'm still having resident bbs create a problem. I live in a single family home.

Intuitively, in my particular situation, I think that the bed bedbugs have been contained and killed, however, the bbs in another harborage have come "out" to feed once they've been disturbed. My thoughts on this subject, however, are not necessarily evidence of any provable, repeatable scientific data.

I find great support from the info available through this site, I get exceptionally pissed that the PROFESSIONALS are so quick to discount what we/I learn. It's like they have only one purpose -- To Shine Me On!--or-- Alex, I can name that tune in 5 notes -- Follow the Money.

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 14:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Another though: If you encase the mattress and isolate the bed, some of the bedbugs actually "go" by the fact that you are stopping them from creating any new bedbugs. If you can prevent bedbugs from getting blood meals, bedbugs cannot sexually mature, procreate or lay eggs, so fewer new bedbugs will be around in the future.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 14:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I think its an easier questions to say where are they not likely to be. I have found bed bugs in all manner of locations within a property. Yes couches are a likely second target but so is any area where people send long periods of time stationary.

I have seen bed bugs travel up to 20 metres between nesting location and feeding areas (beds) but in the case I am thinking of the property had been treated 7 or 8 times prior to being asked to consult on the case, which was undoubtably a factor in their choice of nesting location.

This having been said it is important to understand that bed bugs are by nature lazy creatures who willl stay as close to the host as possible and although they are more than capable of travelling great distances they are not generally inclined to do so.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

David

5. crawledon

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Feb 2 2008 0:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

lietenatandan, I always wondered that. I wondered if I made my infestation trickier to deal with because I covered mattress/boxspring right away. Then the bugs went into the floorboards, etc. I'm so sick of these bugs.

6. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Feb 2 2008 6:42:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My thoughts to LieutenantDan & Parakeets: As you can see from my postings, I believe in isolating one's bed only as an adjunct to treatment, not as an alternative, for the reason that they will track down food in an untreated dwelling one way or another. If you isolate your bed during treatment, then you don't have to be bit so much while killing the bugs.

As for where do the bugs go? just some data: I finally isolated my bed a week after discovering my downstairs neighbor had an infestation - which she was treating with a PCO. In the following week, I discovered harborages on my nightstand and on a bookcase holding folded clothing at the foot of my bed. Another harborage in my futon couch, all of which I discovered after a not-terribly-thorough inspection. My point being that they can and may even be glad to nest in places other than your bed.

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 15:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with fightorflight about the fact that bedbugs will then nest in other places than your bed. When my infestation was bad, I bedbugs were in my headboard, ceiling light fixtures, crown molding, in books and in carboard. When I isolated my bed, I slept better but was still being bitten and got bitten sitting at my desk.

8. Bistec

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 17:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I felt like a stingy bite while on my sofa. My dogs spends lots of time on the sofa. Is it possible for a dog to carry a bed bug with him on the sofa? Recently my bed bug bites are on my bed? However not on my sofa? I have not seen any yet but think I taped up a nymph. How long should I wait before calling a PCO?

9. Bistec

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 17:05:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know where I can send off my taped up specs for positive ID?

10. fightorflight

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 18:22:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Eeks - the ceiling light fixtures. Now that's scary. I was watching old X-Files reruns the other night and this whole situation is like one long, scary X-Files episode.

11. badlybugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 20:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that the bbs like to feel pressure on many sides of their body; so cracks, tuffs, buttons, seams, baseboards, pillow cases, nightstands, etc. makes perfect sense as harborage. I think we need to remember that these bugs have developed their survival strategy for millions of years. I think Nobugs said she found references as early as Ancient Egypt.

I wonder, does anyone know if there is any evidence to support their preferences -- sorta like the "vicitim-ology" our friends on the TV show "Criminal Minds" use?

Do they like women better than men? Caucasians better than others?

If they have evolved for millions of years and they step too lightly for us to feel and our inability to feel their bites is imperative to their survival, how do we interrupt these survival mechanisms?

How long does it take / or how many bugs constitute an infestation (I know just one is enuf for me)?

Can a chemical interrupt their reproductive cycle?

Will they break hibernation if an animal presents a blood meal for them? Or only for a human?

How did the native populations treat them? I've read that Native American's used Black Walnut tea and sprayed (or sprinkled as the case may be).

How do BBs behave in "nature"? Do they even exist outside of urban areas? What do they feed on outside of urban areas and what natural protections have prey developed to deal with the bugs?

I have had what I believe to be an infestation for 13 mos. and my mattress has NEVER looked like any of the horror pics, instead it has taken me months to find a bug to ID for the PCOs to get them to believe I even have BBs. I don't understand how anyone could get eaten alive for as long as it takes to get an infestation like the ones shown in the pics?

12. Bistec

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 20:52:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Some people get infested for a long time because they actually never feel the bites.

13. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 21:46:51
    #

Login to Send PM

BB, I think it all depends where they setup shop,so to speak. I don't react,therefore had no idea,for about 5-6 mon. and my mattress was clean as well.But I have a waterbed frame that they found more attactive.Also, I think logistically,it is the closest path of least resistance that they look for.I have a waterbed cover over my mattress and a mattress pad on top of that,so for them to setup on my mattress would have been counter productive if not downright impossible.

14. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 10:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

BB, I think also a lot of practices they had back in the days,when they were everywhere pratically(kinda like now) should be incorporated again.Like turning over the mattress. I wouldn't have noticed them that way,but a high percentage would.I've never turned over a mattress in my life,but again, they didn't used to have pillowtop mattresses back in the day,did they? Hmm,wonder why...There must be other things but I'm not quite that old to remember.Oh wait, they were religious about moveng furniture to clean behind and underneath,right? Another thing most people don't do anymore.I don't have the room to move furniture comepletely and with the vacuums and such that we have now it seems like overkill.I usually move a dresser a few inches to get behind it with the vacuum wand.I think these practices were in place to help with detection and control of BB's. But then,women hadn't joined the work force so much and were home all day to do this sort of stuff.Anyone can think of other things I've missed?

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Feb 5 2008 1:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Bistec, please post new ideas or new questions as a NEW topic. If you stick them in a thread like this, they can easily get lost. If they are a new topic, people will find them, answer them, and benefit from finding them again in future. (I only mention this because I have seen it on several threads.) Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.