Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Where Do Eggs Typically Get Laid?

(10 posts)
  1. JimmyChanga

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 8 2009 7:37:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I know there is no fast rule when dealing with bed bugs, but where do bedbugs usually lay their eggs? Do they prefer to lay their eggs on the bed, right after feeding? Or do they prefer to lay it where they are nesting? Or do they like to drop it off randomly?

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 8 2009 12:41:34
    #

Login to Send PM

They prefer to lay their eggs anywhere that the eggs will be undisturbed. Since I travel a lot, and mostly sleep on one side of my bed, in my case that meant that I found eggs laid under the pillow on the side of the bed that I don't sleep on. (I had bed bugs during this time period where I was out of town for about a week four times between March and June. At some of those stretches, the trips were only a week away from each other. As a result, i would change the sheets in week 1, go away weekend 1, be home for week 2, go away for the next week, and then be back for a week, therefore, not changing the sheets until I returned. You can see how, as a result, the bugs had plenty of time to act like the sheets themselves were undisturbed.)

I also found eggs on the backside of curtains that touched the edge of the bed (remember, I didn't know bed bugs existed until I found them, so in many ways, this whole scenario has totally changed how I manage my bedroom space.)

The bugs in my infestation were perfectly happy to lay the eggs as close to the host as possible, so long as the location wouldn't be disturbed. Shortly after I found them on the bed, I saw a bug moving, and within days, I had treatment.

I expect exact locations will very by the specifics of the location you're in. Also remember that in multi-unit buildings, they may go into spaces between units if that's still close to hosts and they're less likely to be disturbed there. Others have reported the eggs on bed frames, on shoes not frequently worn that live near the bed, between the baseboards and the wall--bed bugs aren't picky about the item.

I think there have been threads in the past about entomologists who've found that in most infestations the bugs stick close to the host, unless the host moves. However, even if the host doesn't move, there's some serious speculation that a few bugs will strike out and move far away and set up shop there. In short, because the bugs weren't studied for decades, there's a lot we don't know. The clusters of eggs that I saw were in clusters near where they were nesting, but if they dropped a stray egg in other places, the eggs are small enough that it's likely I wouldn't have seen them as I cleaned up after treatment.

(Remember, thermal treatment does kill eggs, so in my post treatment clean up, I was less concerned with finding every single egg than I would have been if I'd been using any treatment that didn't kill the eggs, so I wasn't paying esp. close attention. )

I'd be interested to see what other people say that they found.

3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 8 2009 14:05:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I actually once found a bedbug in the process of laying an egg. She was laying it on the underside of a pillow on my couch. As said above, they like undisturbed places, close to the host. Though not necessary, I've heard they seem to prefer to choose a place that's a bit covered or hidden (the underside of a pillow rather than the top, for example), and I heard they like a surface that the eggs can stick to (though that egg glue is incredibly strong and I bet an egg would stick to anything. I was amazed when I tried to pry an egg off).

4. JimmyChanga

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 8 2009 16:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure I've seen an egg yet. You said they are very sticky. I just bought a pretty powerful vacuum cleaner. Do you think it can pick the eggs up?

5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 8 2009 19:55:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi JimmyChnaga: From the sample I saw, I would say that a house vacuum cleaner would not be able to pull the egg from the substrate. There might be industrial strength vacuum cleaners that could do better. I needed to scrape the eggs off or pull them with a tweezer. I was amazed at how tightly they were attached.

6. wigginonbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 9 2009 22:19:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I found them under an end table by where I sit and under the coffee table. This is when I bit the bullet and started turning furniture over. They were white, about the size of a sesame seed or a grain of rice. Found some live ones, and "spent" ones. The spent ones crumbled when I tried to remove them, but they were still stuck pretty good! Had to scrape them off. The live ones when I smashed them were kinda rubbery and hard to destroy!! Yeah, they're stuck on there good!

But you can see them, but just have to look under everything.

7. lynnee82

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 10 2009 18:54:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I found one under the insole of my husband's shoe. I had to take the insole out to find it. The was also black fecal matter near the egg. YUCK!

8. BBbit bad

newbite

Posted 9 months ago
    Tue Oct 29 2013 22:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

does anyone know if eggs are sparkly ? i keep seeing 'sparkly' items --very very tiny-smaller than sesame seed-on my clothes, even thoughs out of hot dryer. Esp. black pants. I keep getting bit. And..today my black work pants, had these 'sparkles' on them, and i had major rash on my butt after work, i keep thinking the 'eggs' were in my car seat OR on the pants (that were thrown in dryer for only 12 mins as i didnt want to shrink them anymore ). Please let me know. thanks . This is maddening.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 9 months ago
    Thu Oct 31 2013 15:54:43
    #

Login to Send PM

No, not sparkly. Here are 2 examples:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/10277245706/
    patchwork
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/1025024173/
    close up of lounge chair staples

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  10. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Nov 1 2013 11:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm . . .

sparkly you say ?

Viable eggs may shine or reflect light from a flashlight or other light when viewed at the correct angle.

Note that there are some who will tell you that eggs luminesce via a UV/black light enhanced by certain tint glasses however, in my practical field experience the results attained from such equipment is less than impressive.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

As a consulting entomologist I provide services for entities such as property managers, health/housing/emergency depts, schools, hospitality/resort/cruise industry, homeowners, food service, retail, pest professionals & product manufacturers. I recommend only efficacious methodologies, products and equipment. Professional relations have included Actisol, AMVAC, Atrix, BASF, Bayer, Catchmaster, FMC, GMT, Eaton, MattressSafe, Nisus, ProTeam, Rockwell, Syngenta & Woodstream. No compensation for product sales occurs. As inventor of Knight Safe bed bug sleep tent provides a royalty.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,256 posts in 29,422 topics over 90 months by 12,691 of 19,952 members. Latest: IvyGreene, Shawna weaver, SFgirl2345