Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

When do most people's bites appear?

(7 posts)
  1. rebugcca

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Aug 20 2008 20:56:15
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed an itchy bite on my right forearm at 9pm tonight. We haven't had bites in about 2 months, and our latest evidence was a dead bug found on top of the couch. We are getting a 4th treatment on Friday after finding the dead one.

I put on clean sheets and mattress pad last night, and inspected my encased bed first. I inspected myself for bites when I woke up, and found nothing. This makes me feel like it would be unlikely, after going so long without bugs or bites (close to 40 days) and with freshly dried bedding, for my bite to be from a bed bug. I'm hoping this might be from a mosquito.

Has anyone else had long-delayed bites appear? When I was first getting bitten at the beginning of our infestation, I would wake up in the morning and see the bites, although the itchiness would only increase from there. So I'm wondering if this is good evidence for the bite to be from something else, like a mosquito.

What are others' experiences with this ID problem?

2. effinbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 2:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I always notice them in the morning. I find they fade throughout the day and are usually gone by the next day.

3. wirehead

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 13:16:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Mostly, though I sometimes wake up with a new one already itching, mine don't show up until somewhere between midday and 3 or 4 in the afternoon. That's when they really start to welt up. The second day seems to be the worst, they welt up hugely and the itching is unbearable. Day three they will still itch but be easier to ignore. After that the welt slowly goes away, and they hardly itch at all unless I irritate them. I don't know how long they take to be completely gone -- I've had my bugs for a week and a half and still have red marks from my first bites.

4. effinbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 15:46:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Eek, that sucks! Mine fade after a day and aren't even itchy, just ugly :S

5. rebugcca

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 19:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmm, my bite has progressed rapidly from an itchy small pencil eraser-sized welt to a tiny red bump. My past BB bites stayed larger and itched like crazy for a couple days, so I am hoping this is something else. Maybe a spider.

I never thought I would hope that I had been bitten by a spider.

Thanks for all of your input

6. bugmama

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 20:35:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I got some bites at home in June that I assumed were ant bites, though they were in a long string (9 bites going from crotch to shoulder). These bites got worse & worse & spread to infection. (So much for my summer vacation!) I tried not to itch but could not help it in my sleep. Wound up on prednisone & antibiotics. The itching stopped after a month, but I still have scars. Now I am home from vacation and after a week have found a short line of bites on my belly. So they could only be a week old. And--They must be bed bugs, yes? I am freaking out. What is the first thing I should do? I'm just glad my husband & daughter do not have the reaction I do.

7. rebugcca

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2008 21:28:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I would get an inspection before you totally freak out--they could be from something else. Have you checked around your bed (inside bedding, mattress pad, bed frame, etc.) for any evidence of bed bugs? Have you noticed any bloodstains on sheets? Did you see a Derm about the bites, and could (s)he tell what they might be from? Do you have any pets that might spread fleas or ticks or other bugs in your home?

The best advice, taken from this site, is to not panic if you think you might have them. I'd start going through the FAQs and looking for more concrete evidence.

Good luck!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

202,166 posts in 31,335 topics over 95 months by 13,557 of 14,340 members. Latest: hathaver, d_random, kritterkiller