Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

When do I put my clothes back in their drawers?

(6 posts)
  1. DeterminedandTired

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Aug 17 2013 13:26:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to open by saying that partially I just need to talk about this. My property manager and PCO are weary of me, insinuating that I'm hysterical. They don't seem to understand that it only takes two bugs left for this nightmare to start again. For what it's worth, I do think my PCO is good (Orkin), he just keeps saying, "Trust us" and apparently he told my prop manager that I've called him several times. This forum is great- so interesting that so many have such similar things to say.

Three questions:

I just had my second treatment. No invoice with this one, but the first invoice said they used Exciter, Onslaught, Sterifab, Temprid SC, and Gentrol IGR. They say they will come out a third time if necessary, but they don't schedule it unless I get bites again/see activity.
    ** How long does it take the stragglers to die after a treatment? I saw two the next morning, but I'm not really worried since they seemed on their way out. But I have a bite this morning - two days since treatment 2.

I'm in a 14 unit building, but we are pretty sure I am the first/only one. I have been extremely fastidious about dealing with this, though it went on for at least a month before I realized. I have tape on the outlets of the apartment next to me (I'm a corner unit). I've read on this site about the third treatment being necessary because of the 28 day life cycle of hatching of the eggs.
    ** Does the treatment not kill eggs or are you just referring to ones that survived it?

My PCO said it was ok to put my clothes back, take things out of bags. First of all, I don't know if I can psychologically put the blanket back on the bed. I bought a new set of sheets which have been in the trunk of my car since I bought them. I want to stop living out of garbage bags. I want to throw out the white sheets covered in blood smears. I want to push my bed back up against the wall and god forbid maybe read in bed. I want this to be over.
    ** If I put everything back and there are eggs that hatch at the 28 day mark, can I just get a treatment without the whole washing and bagging everything process again?
    Maybe I can just leave the bottom dresser drawer empty. I'm really hesitant to put non-white sheets back on the bed.
    Good to note that what ever is left, if anything, has to be minimal. I have a new mattress and box spring (though not up on a frame) and as I said, I've been extremely fastidious.

Cute anecdote: I learned indirectly that a friend is also going through this. We got together to commiserate and he said, "Leper high-five! (hand falls off)"

2. Alicew234

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 10:34:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha. Leper high 5! I walk down the hall of the building thinking "Unclean! Unclean!" and thinking I should have a bell to ring.

I would not "stand down" until there were 60 days of no bugs/no bites. During that time I am going to continue to look for bugs- keep the monitors on the beds, that sort of thing. We aren't actually getting bitten and these things are very hard to find- even when you are REALLY looking for them- and know they are there. So even after 60 days, I'm going to need a little help relaxing, I'm sure.

But I'm sorry. I'm not a professional and your Orkin guy is but I think the professionals either forget or never knew how horribly upsetting this is. They think "well, if they come back, they come back." Honestly, I couldn't do this a whole bunch of times. Maybe, eventually, you do get comfortable with the fact that you can't ever be sure they are gone. I'm not anywhere in the neighborhood of that kind of comfort right now.

Keep me posted. I have heard very good things about Temprid. WHere was it applied?

3. DeterminedandTired

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 13:49:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Alice,
    Yeah, it seems best to deal with the inconvenience of living out of garbage bags rather than have to do that all over again. I have some stuff hanging in my closet that I've not dried and the technician shrugged while we were talking, "Yeah, if you're concerned you could do the rest of this too." If I did the rest of it there would be no floor space left in my small living room.

I have one dryer on the floor above me that is shared among 14 apartment units and costs $1.25 every time with no timing options. So yeah, I guess I'll be digging through bags for a while!

4. DeterminedandTired

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Aug 18 2013 13:53:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and the Temprid. I don't know specifically, but I know they treated the box spring and base boards and carpets and that when I came home eight hours later there were still little puddles on a couple spots on the linoleum in the hallway and bathroom.

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 19 2013 8:13:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear D&T,

DeterminedandTired - 1 day ago  » 
    They don't seem to understand that it only takes two bugs left for this nightmare to start again.

NOT to freak you out . . . but I think technically it would only take one . . . an inseminated female????? Again, NOT trying to freak you out!

For what it's worth, I do think my PCO is good (Orkin), he just keeps saying, "Trust us" . . .

Aaaahhhh, now don't you just love it when men tell you that!!!! . . . Seriously, it sounds like he is experienced and knows what he's doing!

Your Questions:

I just had my second treatment. No invoice with this one, but the first invoice said they used Exciter, Onslaught, Sterifab, Temprid SC, and Gentrol IGR. They say they will come out a third time if necessary, but they don't schedule it unless I get bites again/see activity.
    ** How long does it take the stragglers to die after a treatment? I saw two the next morning, but I'm not really worried since they seemed on their way out. But I have a bite this morning - two days since treatment 2.

I don't have an answer to that one for you. I do believe you have to stay vigilant, search and monitor.

. . . I've read on this site about the third treatment being necessary because of the 28 day life cycle of hatching of the eggs.
    ** Does the treatment not kill eggs or are you just referring to ones that survived it?

28 day life cycle? I haven't seen that? I have seen two timelines posted several times . . . one that eggs hatch in 7-10 days and one that they hatch in 10-14 days (depending on temperature and other variables). I believe that is why it is suggested that chemical treatments are performed in 14 day intervals . . . to kill any hatched nymphs before they can mature. (There are five stages of nymphs before they become adults and can lay eggs. I don't know how many days between each nymph stage, but I do know they have to have a blood meal before they can molt and develop to the next stage.)

My PCO said it was ok to put my clothes back, take things out of bags. . . . ** If I put everything back and there are eggs that hatch at the 28 day mark, can I just get a treatment without the whole washing and bagging everything process again?

The standard previously was 55-60 days on putting clothes back into dressers, etc. Here is a really good (IMO) thread discussing this topic. Mostly it says you don't have to wait that long any more if you are monitoring, etc. But you need to figure out what is going to work for you and give you peace of mind! (I personally would NOT do it this early!)

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/5560-days-vs-passive-monitor-countdowns

Good Luck D&T and I hope you are on your way to being able to post your success story!!

Keep us posted!

AbsolutelyFreaking a/k/a Abs . . . NOT an expert/professional:
    President of the Lou Sorkin Fan Club; President of the Paul Bello Fan Club;
    David Cain's #1 Fan; Devotee/Follower of Nobugsonme, KillerQueen and Winston O. Buggy; Admirer of NY Bug Man and his phrase "Knock 'em dead;"
    Enthusiast of both the use of ellipses and smiley faces in all my posts . . . and . . . BigDummy's unique wit
  6. DeterminedandTired

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Aug 19 2013 12:42:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, af! re the 28 day thing, maybe that was actually referring to two 14 day cycles. That would fit with what you were saying.

I'll check out that thread.

Here's hoping!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,791 posts in 31,270 topics over 95 months by 13,528 of 14,303 members. Latest: scaredofbedbugs520, HALP2k14, Camoo