Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

When do I know it's over?

(12 posts)
  1. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 17:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

You are all probably tired of my story and my paranoia. I am just going nuts as I thought we were almost through this, and 2-1/2 weeks ago found a live BB, struggling in the Lightsout interceptor under the center of my bed (the one I can't check daily). Three days later, I found a dead BB in an interceptor and part of a dead BB on the floor near the interceptor. This prompted a complete fit of paranoia on my part, and I posted way too many, "please identify this thing" posts. Most of which were nothing. Either confirmed as nothing, or nobody answered because you all probably thought I had gone off the deep end.

But here I am, 2-1/2 weeks later wondering when I am every going to feel safe again. It is really driving me nuts. I get to a point where I almost feel comfortable again, and then I get a weird bump. I've come to accept the fact that stress and constant cleaning is causing me to break out in acne on my neck and face. But just now, i found a bump on my chest. It doesn't quite feel like a pimple. I only noticed because of a mild itch. It could be a bite. It could be something else. I worry because I napped on my sofa today and now I worry they bugs have spread there. But again, no evidence.

My PCO told me to wait four weeks for another treatment, but I am beside myself and considering adding Cimexa even though he wasn't a fan because he said the dusts were really hard to deal with with kids and pets. I leave for vacation this weekend, and I am so nervous about going and spreading the BBs (even though I keep all our clothes in bags, and plan to run everything through the dryer before we leave, including the bags we pack in).

I am just so discouraged. Considering bringing in a new PCO, as mine keeps telling me to stick with the plan, it's working. This last one is a straggler, but the treatment is working because they are dying. This whole process is killing me. It really is.

2. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 17:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I should add, I was clear for almost 3 months before we found the straggler. Ugh.

3. Lllo

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 18:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

We have been free since our 2nd treatment December 1. All passive monitors remain clear. I still freak out every time I get an itchy bump on my leg, face or arm. Never amounts to anything and I have accepted I will freak out and worry for a long time to come.

4. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 18:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lllo. It's good to know my reaction isn't completely abnormal. I think I'd feel a lot better if we hadn't found that live one recently.

So glad to hear you've been clear for so long!

5. repulsedbybb

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 19:32:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't worry, you're definitely not alone. I got them in March of 2009...only ever saw 1 adult bug that month...proceeded to get steam, chemical and heat treatment through August because I couldn't accept they were gone. Finally by that November I had driven the rest of my family crazy and my dad finally told me to get a grip and try and stop noticing everything on my skin and searching my room all the time. That was on Thanksgiving morning after I found what I suspected was a fecal stain on the inside corner of my fitted sheet. I decided to make a concerted effort to stop incessantly looking for evidence and everything finally started looking up. I still monitored from time to time but not to the degree that I had been before. Took a few years after that to stop assuming everyone who had an itch had them and were going to give them back to me....lol. And a year after that I finally allowed myself to go on vacation again and stay at a hotel. It gets better.

6. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 19:39:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, repulsedbybb. I wish I were at the stage where I could make myself stop looking. But since we found that one a couple of weeks ago, I am back to checking everything. And worrying about parts of the house that never had BBs. Like my sofa.

I'm glad it is getting better for you. I hope that someday it will for me. I can't live like this. It is making everyone crazy. But I also don't feel like we're far enough away from it for all to go back to normal. My husband however seems to act as if it's no big deal anymore. That alone is making me nuts.

7. justwantthemgone

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 21:15:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We had our third treatment Saturday and were given all clear by pco but of course as soon as I feel better there is a bump or a sheet stain etc...

8. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 6 months ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 21:36:33
    #

Login to Send PM

It is so hard. I think about getting a k9 inspection, but fear that wouldn't work because of my boxspring, which was infested, treated and encased. I suspect that would throw the dogs off. I really just want to get rid of that box spring and mattress, but fear getting it out of the house.

Hoping the photos I just posted are another case of nasal discharge, and not bedbug remnants. If they are nasal discharge, I will sleep better but also be mortified for once again photographing and posting boogers.

My husband may be close to having me hospitalized for insanity. Maybe he is right. Then he could deal with this mess.

9. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 8:51:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you'll find this funny, but when I was very mentally unhealthy because of this issue, one of the main things that kept me slightly back from the brink is that I didn't want to go to the hospital because I was sure it would have bed bugs, too.

But seriously, it sounds like you're right on track, and you can't skip out on your kid(s). Husbands are a little hard to deal with sometimes, but ultimately it's better to have a team around you. He may be a little on the lax side, but you may be a little on the too anxious side, so it evens out.

If you look at some of the cases here of people who were ultimately successful, they always were questioning right up until the end, pretty common. And if something did pop up, just take it one day at a time. You can do this. Our ancestors did with fewer tools than we have, maybe they are cheering you on

10. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 9:04:48
    #

Login to Send PM

That does make me giggle, barelyliving! As much when I keep taking pictures of boogers and posting them. I think my anxiety is also higher because we are leaving for vacation this weekend. Rational self says I can prepare and all will be fine. Irrational self is convinced we are going to carry BBs with us and cause huge issues for the family we are visiting. Spreading to others is what keeps me up at night.

Thank you for understanding and providing a much needed pep talk.

11. Livingagain

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 5 2017 9:11:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that was exactly it for me, too, spreading to others-- that's the part that causes the anxiety for me. But I'm sure you're taking all the precautions. Just dot your i's and cross your t's and you'll be set.

12. ithoughtlicewerebad

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Apr 19 2017 9:05:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to say that we have been back from vacation for a few days, and that vacation was the best thing for me. So good to get away and not worry about these damn bugs. Don't get me wrong, we took precautions before leaving. Heat treated all our clothes and bags in the dryer before packing. thoroughly vacuuming the car, and loading things pretty much immediately from dryer to car. New toiletries packed in ziplock bags. Even the snacks and drinks for the road went straight from the store to my car and were never in my house. And we inspected the hotel we stopped at, and my parents' house (they loved that).

After all that, I actually found that there were whole days that I didn't think about bugs. It was wonderful. The anxiety mounted as we returned home, but overall, I recommend a vacation to anyone dealing with these bastard bugs, if at all possible. I'm still being diligent since we got home, and immediately bagged and laundered everything as we brought it back into the house. But that break really helped my overall state of mind. And I slept well.

Thank you to all of you who encouraged me to go. It was exactly what I needed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,266 posts in 42,973 topics over 129 months by 18,855 of 19,413 members. Latest: sleeptitesoon, CatherineM, freakingout123