Urban Legends about Bed Bugs

(17 posts)
  1. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon May 26 2008 23:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

What Won't Kill Bed Bugs

Windex - I drowned one sucker in windex because I had it in my hand, drowned it, ten minutes later came back, the thing had crawled 3/4 up the wall towards the ceiling.

Bugs Can't Climb to the Ceiling

Wrong - bugs can climb to the ceiling. I killed one in my master bedroom closet with a metal rod from my bed that was stored in there. The bug is still smashed onto the ceiling as a reminder to the PCO.

Bugs Can Survive the Vaccum

Wrong - I vaccumed my couch last night, top to bottom, seam to seam, under the cushions where everyone's money falls in - think I sucked up a coin, vaccum no longer works. Emptied the filter, placed the contents in a plastic bag and tossed it on the balcony until morning when I could properly dispose of it (dumpster). Just went to take it to the dumpster and there was a bed bug lounging in the handle of the bag. Ew ew ew ew ew.

Raid Kills Bugs

Wrong - my sister suggested this, and I wish I hadn't of used it, spread the bugs around worse. Lesson learned.

You have to throw out everything you own

Wrong - clean what you can, treat what you can.

Bed Bugs will take over your life.

Wrong - you have control over your life, do what you can to control the infestation, but go on living. Hug your friends, love yourself and don't be ashamed - this can happen to anyone.

The Bugs Will Win

Wrong - I'm bigger, smarter and stronger. Though I am moving I must not lose hope and will kill the $$##!!**$$!.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 5:22:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Now I was hoping this was going to be a threat about the legends of Bed Bugs. I have always liked the old wives tale about using a bar of soap to bash the bugs with. It turns out that a simply wet bar of soap is in fact the ideal way of catching them.

There are a lot of myths and silly stories that go around about Bed Bugs, I have dedicated a whole section on my site to myths and busting them. It can be found at:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/index_files/BedBugMythsBusted.htm

At lease we have moved the majority of society pastt he "you cant see bed bugs stage".

David

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"
  3. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 10:57:18
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Hah...I'm seriously thinking of researching their history now to learn how they came about to be and have lasted as long as they have. I haven't seen bugs since Friday now, *cross fingers* (with exception of the one from the vaccum cleaner) and when I do find a live one, I try different methods for killing them. And will document it to prove people wrong in their myths and urban legends. When all else fails, a shoe works pretty well to smash the bugger to bits or drown the sucker in the toilet. It's how I get rid of spiders too.

Gypsy

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 11:48:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Gypsy,

If you are serious about the history thing let me know. Happy to have an IM conference to let you know what I know about them and how they track back to when we all lived in caves.

There are some great quotes and mentions in the anals of history.

David

5. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 15:58:43
    #

Login to Send PM

David - sounds good. Will have to be after work though since I'm being bad at the office lol. I also just found out from my PCO they've never heard of Vikane. Don't think it's an option in Canada

6. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 16:20:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

LOL well with a 6+ hour time difference you had better hope I am not planning on Bed early that night.

PCO solutions also vary from country to country so Vikane may either not be licensed in your area or simply available under a different name. For example there are few fumigation agents generally available in the UK. I actually have a machine to do it and all the products (insecticidal, biocidal and odour neutralisation) but to be honest I have not used it since the last time someone drove a campervan onto my forcourt and asked for it to be decontaminated.

As someone said in another post, its one weapon in an arsenal but with Bed Bugs there is so often not a single weapon but an evolved battle plan.

Might have to do the IM chat on a weekend when I usually rise later and party till the wee small hours.

David

7. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 17:45:09
    #

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of "new" urban legends about bedbugs. People believe if you don't know you have bedbugs, that means you don't have them. (not true). People believe that bedbugs can be easily treated if you have a professional do it. (not true). People believe that not being clean or having clutter can cause bedbugs. (not true). People believe that those of us who have bedbugs are exaggerating or overly-anxious when we report(not true). People believe that if you have a pest control operator in to inspect, he or she will always be able to see whether or not you have bedbugs (not true). People believe that bedbugs are like roaches so you only have to treat baseboards (not true--treat crown molding, bedbugs travel up). People believe bedbugs only live in beds and mattresses, and don't live in metal or plastic (not true). People believe that immigrants cause bedbugs (not true). People believe that the very wealthy don't get bedbugs and that bedbugs are only associated with the poor (not true). I could go on and on. We see these urban legends everywhere.

8. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 27 2008 18:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

parakeets, good points. The bugs I found live, I killed immediately, and more importantly, left for the PCO to see so he could believe me - as gross as it sounds. But the PCO didn't even bother cleaning it up. The last few bugs I've seen I used tape to pick up and killed instantly. So, I'm leaving that mess for management to deal with. I just don't care about that anymore. I've done more than my part of the clean up and spent way too much money on supplies.

Also worth to note that management refused to clean carpets or paint walls prior to my moving in - something I complained repeatedly about and had Capital Health in. I've also advised I'm leaving the mattress, couch and sofa chair behind for their removal. Their mess, they can deal with it Can't ding me for security deposit, because I've got it already, and can't sue me, because I can counter sue. Gotta love it.

David - I'll buzz you one weekend when I am home, not this weekend, I'm moving. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

9. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 0:57:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugs can live in books...just found one, was dead, but on the side of my Danish Hymnal (very rare book), am afraid to use it so it's being stored. Will have to make a copy of the book we have at church or we're toast...damn bugs.

No live bugs today, no bites, welts or itchies. Found a new bed for only $571 (Queen) at United Furniture which is being delivered on Sat to the new place. Three more days...

10. mangycur

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 29 2008 20:26:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy--you can carefully inspect your Danish Hymnal, most likely, using a blacklight, magnifying glass and a pair of basic UV goggles.

I got a little blacklight off amazon.com by the company Urinoff. The idea is, it's a black flourescent light that makes urine chrystals visible (we're talking about urine you've already cleaned up, but somehow there's still a strange smell-- some urine may have been left behind)

Anyway, if you get that and some basic UV protector goggles from the hardware store, go into an inclosed room to block out other light, and go through the book page by page--the black light reveals any abnormalities on the pages. Further, bed bug eggs flouresce. But mainly you can see anything on the page that's hard to see with the naked eye. Then if you see something weird, use the magnifying glass to get a closer look.

Case in point, I got a piece of computer paper and looked at it in the black light--and I was actually able to see a few wood grains in the paper--whereas to my naked eye it looked perfectly white and smoothe.

Obviously this is time-consuming but well worth it for your most precious books.

11. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 30 2008 19:29:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Fascinating reply about the black light, mangycur. Thanks.

Do you think that is an urban rumor that bedbugs can read and they are reading this blog? (I don't want them to know about the black light.)

12. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 30 2008 19:43:59
    #

Login to Send PM

parakeets,

It might explain why the ones on my desk always move around to the side of the jar where the monitor is.

Luckily they are double sealed and only get released when I get a bad cheque or a bounced payment from a client (they passed a law a few months back that allows trades people to reverse the work they have done if they don't get paid for it, I think it extends to PCO's).

David

PS I have always liked the phrase "don't upset your PCO plague and pestilance is our business".

13. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 31 2008 1:42:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Strange, since I've been sleeping in the living room on the couch, I haven't seen any activity near my computer or tv. And I've been watching carefully! Knock on wood, no live bugs since Tuesday night. No adult sized since last Friday. Construction still going on next door, may have disturbed a nest next door- hopefully they don't come looking for food until AFTER I'm gone tomorrow....less than 12 hours, whippee.

14. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 31 2008 1:42:52
    #

Login to Send PM

As for the bugs reading choice, I find it funny of all the music books on the floor, it chooses the rare one, the Danish music. Go figure. Maybe bugs do have taste.

15. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat May 31 2008 17:25:59
    #

Login to Send PM

My housemate doesn't believe in bedbugs. Despite seeing them with his own eyes, on my bed, and stuck up with tape, he doesn't believe in them. Why? "They don't bite me."

Right...

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 19:22:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs do read the blog. Well, lots of people think so anyway. That's the real reason so many are afraid to announce their "success". There's a common belief that the bed bugs will catch wind of such an announcement and poop on your parade (literally).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  17. Gypsy

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jun 6 2008 11:17:55
    #

Login to Send PM

No kidding nobugs. While I am counting the days bug-free, I'm far from calling it a complete success. I still check everything, every day, and am still dealing with treating items and unpacking...it's like War of the Worlds, these bugs are getting smarter and smarter as time goes on.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.