Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

What to make of these? Cast skins? Fecal matter?

(9 posts)
  1. sadboibugz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 18:32:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all, first post on bedbugger but I've been reading through the articles on here since I first realized my apartment was infested (probably early August?). Little history: Around early August, got a BUNCH of bites that I thought were mosquito bites; my roommate got some too and noticed they were in clusters/lines, so we checked around for bedbugs and he found some. We got a chemical poison treatment of our place after contacting our landlord (furniture towards the middle of the room, wash/dry sheets and clothes that were near bed, etc.), and we were told the infestation was relatively small/recent, and that they'd follow up for treatment #2 in two weeks. So they did, and we'd hoped our problems would be gone...

Two more roommates moved in, but one had to sleep on the futon in our main/living room. Slightly before this (between a week or two after Treament #2), I noticed I was being bitten again. Soon after, so did my first roommate. Shortly after moving in, my roommate on the futon had multiple large bites all over his body, much larger than any bites Roommate 1 and I had; we feared he was having an allergic reaction. After all this hope, it turned out we had bedbugs again... and they'd spread into the main room.

We called the PCO for another appointment that was done this past Thursday, same treatment. We dried our clothes and sheets, and I've since isolated my bed from the wall and installed ClimbUp Bedbug Interceptors. Despite not finding any actual bedbugs in the interceptors, I found new bites this morning and a bunch of... odd debris (?) in my bed. Here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/Ts4PS

They will be coming in about a week or two for a follow up. We are hoping that our bedbug worries are soon to end, but after reading the stories on this site, I'm losing hope.

Does anyone have any remarks on what we found in the imgur album? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance all!

2. nomorebuggs

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 19:53:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure on the debris, but it doesn't look like fecal stains or cast skins.

Are you in an apartment? If so, the bugs could be coming from a neighboring or adjacent unit if they seem to have returned.

Or, it's possible they were never gone. Climb Ups wont help if the bbs are already on the bed. Likewise, if furniture wasn't well sprayed, the bbs won't be crossing the poison. Do you know if the furniture was sprayed too, and if so, with what? The experts here can offer advice regsrding the strength and residual power of common treatment chemicals. Needing three sprays isn't uncommon due to the bb life cycle.

Don't lose hope! You can get rid of bbs. It just takes time and vigilance. Get as much info from your PCO as possible and the experts here can give feedback.

Not an expert. Any advice I give is information gleaned via anxiety-fueled research of credible sources and expert posts here. Please research all advice before treating and consult a professional.
  3. Myworstnightmare

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 2 2017 22:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't comment on the photos but I just wanted to say that I just had my third chemical treatment on Wednesday and I am still getting bit. Plus I found a just fed bug chillin on my bed two nights ago. My pco has explained to me that the poison is like lead poisoning to a human- they are dying but slowly. The one I caught didn't move when I shined my phone on it just sat there. I did hasten its death though!

Anyhow because of the egg cycle and the varied feeding cycles it usually takes two to three treatments to get it under control. I am sleeping in the ground zero bed so they have a reason to come out and cross the poison. This experience is awful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

I live in a single family home. Attached units do need to be inspected so the bugs can't just go back and forth. Good luck!

4. sadboibugz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 13:20:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Are you in an apartment? If so, the bugs could be coming from a neighboring or adjacent unit if they seem to have returned.

We are indeed in an apartment! On our floor, I only have one neighbor directly adjacent to us. I live above the laundry/trash room, and I'm sure I have a neighbor above me. We've been told by the PCO that "the entire apt." (not sure if he means our apt or the whole building, but I'm hopeful it's the latter) was checked and they couldn't find any live activity or eggs. We hope that they're sincere about this.

Do you know if the furniture was sprayed too, and if so, with what?

Not sure, but I have messaged our PCO, and will update ASAP when I find out.

I'm wondering if the Climbups were a bad idea; if the bugs are supposed to cross the poison, and they're already on my bed, I suppose they wouldn't have no choice but to stay on my bed and continue biting me, right? Should I move out the interceptors?

5. sadboibugz

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 22:12:59
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: PCO got back to me. Direct quote:

"The mattress and futons/beds were all treated, as well as all the baseboards throughout the entire apartment. Putting a mattress cover on the bed is a great idea. The chemicals used are called Suspend SC, Gentrol IGR, and Alpine PT. At this point there should be no more live bedbugs in the apartment, so if you see any live activity, try to catch the bug and put it in a Ziploc bag so that me and my team can analyze.

6. psychologically_messed_up

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Sep 3 2017 22:38:08
    #

Login to Send PM

From my research, the Suspend is a killer, Gentrol makes them sterile so they can't have kids, and alpine repels them in future. But that's all just from a few quick google searches, and I could be wrong.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 4 2017 3:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 4 hours ago  » 
    From my research, the Suspend is a killer, Gentrol makes them sterile so they can't have kids, and alpine repels them in future. But that's all just from a few quick google searches, and I could be wrong.

Alpine PT is non-repellent and active ingredient is dinetofuran. Label states not to be applied to mattresses. Suspend SC active ingredient is deltamethrin and it can be sprayed on beds. Gentrol (hydroprene) at current application rates doesn't do anything.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 4 2017 3:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

nomorebuggs - 1 day ago  » 
    Or, it's possible they were never gone. Climb Ups wont help if the bbs are already on the bed. Likewise, if furniture wasn't well sprayed, the bbs won't be crossing the poison. Do you know if the furniture was sprayed too, and if so, with what? The experts here can offer advice regsrding the strength and residual power of common treatment chemicals. Needing three sprays isn't uncommon due to the bb life cycle.

Climb Ups will help if bed bugs are already on the bed. It's a monitoring tool and those that are collected are basically taken out of the active population, but it isn't an insecticide application.

9. nomorebuggs

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Sep 4 2017 22:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 18 hours ago  » 

nomorebuggs - 1 day ago  » 

Climb Ups will help if bed bugs are already on the bed. It's a monitoring tool and those that are collected are basically taken out of the active population, but it isn't an insecticide application.

I was just thinking if bedbugs were harboring in the mattress or bed frame, why would they move downward and off the bed away from a host? That was my logic about climbups not being effective if the bugs were already on the bed, as opposed to elsewhere in the room. I didn't consider they would move that way to find a new harborage.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234