what to do with couch

(11 posts)
  1. huskbaby

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 12:49:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a large fabric couch. It has a bed attached. The bed has no bugs but the couch does. I dont see them but they see us. It seems our arms are constantly bitten.
    What can you use?

2. jennifer09

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 13:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    I would strongly suggest getting a PCO to treat the couch as many times as needed. I did that though I wasn't sure my couch wasn't infested. I did for precaution since I and my dog spend time on it.

Also I spray with 90% rubbing alcohol once or twice a week. But this alone is NOT sufficient to handle the problem. Professional treatment is best.

Have you talked to a PCO?

3. cosbear

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 14:44:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi huskbaby: Sofabeds and hideaway beds are some of the hardest pieces of furniture to treat. As one who fought very hard and paid a dear price trying to save his brand new furniture let me say the question and the answers are hard. If you are not already being treated by a Professional I would say if you are getting that many bites, you should seriously look into it immediately. The problem could already be much worse than you are aware. If the bugs are being fed they are almost certainly breeding and laying eggs as well. The problem will mushroom if not dealt with seriously as quickly as possible. It would help a great deal to know more about your situation though. Many here are expert or nearly so on these exact kinds of issues. The more you tell about the exact circumstances you are facing the more others can help you figure out what to do about it. As regards your couch I would say the only chance of saving it would be professional treatment and even that may not save it. This is just my opinion, but it is based on my actual experiences in trying to save my furniture. With the help of a professional I did save two pieces but lost so much more in the process. I am so sorry you are going through this I know it's a nightmare, good luck and best wishes. Later... cos

4. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 15:17:53
    #

Login to Send PM

huskbaby,
    If you cannot see bugs or signs of bugs on your couch, how do you now that you are receiving bites from bugs in your couch?
    If you can be positive that you are getting bit when you are on the couch the bbs may be biting you while you are on the couch but they are living in a floor board or something else that is near the couch. I believe that you should find some kind of evidence like molts or poop. This leads to the mystery bite thing that many of us are dealing with.
    Flip the couch on its side and inspect with a powerful flashlight. If you cannot flip the couch then take some blue painters tape and dab it in places that you cannot see. You can have a good chance of grabbing eggs, molts or bugs if you are infested in that area.
    You can be getting bit in your car and/or at work and the bites may not show up for hours later or in my case months.

5. angie

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 16:05:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I also recieved bites while relaxing on my couch(the only piece of furniture left) and had questions about it. It had been treated 2 times. I stood it up against the wall and low and behold, there I found their home. On the bottom under where the cushion and the frame met. Hundreds of them met with untimely death of Mr.Hoover then was thrown in the dumpster. I did try hard to save it, but sometimes its easier to cut your losses and start over when the coast is clear. Thats what my family has to do. (some year!)

6. cosbear

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 16:32:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Great info angie thanks so much for sharing that. lieutenantdan made some excellent points as well. Angie this report does not at all bode well for the skills of your PCO if you found that many that easily and he didn't. My PCO may not have been the best in the world but would not have missed that. He tried very hard to help us save our new furniture and was as disheartened as we were when we realized it wasn't worth it. He inspected and sprayed the furniture very carefully. He removed the flimsy netting on the bottom of each piece and did a close inspection of everything you could see in there using a brigh narrow beam flashlight. He used a Popsicle stick to get into all the tufts and folds. He checked everything top and bottom and sides. Same with the mattresses and box springs. He did this every time he came. His average inspection and treatment in our apartment was nearly an hour even though I prepared assiduously for him every time he came. He advised at first that I leave while he was treating because that was what he was supposed to do. He relented though when I told him I wanted to be there and would assume the risk. Because of the chemicals he was allowed to use he treated every week for sixteen weeks in multi unit buildings like ours. He treated the baseboards in every room except the kitchen and bathroom and the hall every time. All the furniture. The walls about two feet along the bottoms. All the carpeting. Still after 6 weeks we got rid of the bed and all the upholstered living room furniture and almost over night our infestation was over. All the rest of the furniture had been saved. Later, cos

7. itchyincharmcity

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 5 2007 17:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi huskbaby. I do not like to contradict my very knowledgeable friends, they have seen it all. However, sometimes furniture can be saved. As lieutenantdan points out, you may not even be 100% sure they are in the couch. Some people's bites don't react for up to nine hours. They could be biting you in the morning but the bites don't pop up until the evening when you are sitting on the couch.

You will not know until an experienced PCO checks the place out. There are people here who have had good experiences treating lightly infested sofas, etc. I think we all agree that the #1 thing to do is find a good PCO!

8. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Dec 6 2007 11:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I had no skin reactions for three months after my wife and dog showed bites and I am not positive my skin marks are from bbs or stress or pesticides or a medical condition. I did not notice these marks until bbs.
    My point is the bite indiction process can have some flaws and signs of bbs like poop, skins bugs etc... are a definite as long as you go the distance and have collected specimens viewed by a respected entomology department for professional confirmation.

9. IWearTheScarletBB

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Dec 30 2007 15:35:45
    #

Login to Send PM

What I don't understand about couches...why if the BB follow us to the couch, do they not follow us back to the bed?!?! Why would they want to work outside of their normal nighttime binging when they don't have to?! Just come back upstairs where you can die please!!!!

I did stupidly sleep on the couch for a couple of nights when I found out that we have BB. Other than that, we rarely use the couch. A couple of weeks after I slept on it, I found a blood stain that was not there before. Also, about a week after that, I saw a live, not-recently-fed one on it. We also have two lazy boys in the living room. We have flipped the lazy boys to check out the wooden frame with a flashlight, but don't see any there. I'm not niave, and know that they are probably in the chairs too. The black fabric will be torn off of the bottom of the couch when the PCO comes this week. The furniture was steamed by the PCO on the first visit a month ago and I am going to request that they do so again. Uuuuggghhhhh! I hope this new year brings a BB free one!

10. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 23:03:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Scarlet, I don't think that they follow you so much as hitch a ride to their new nest,in your case the couch.From what I can tell from they are not so agile as to be a step behind you especially in a house with stairs and such.My theory is they (probably females more likely) hitch a ride unbeknownst to you on clothing and such. Once you have sat down they crawl off and setup a new location.I could be way off base,but I don't buy that they can track you through a whole house.I think they would only undertake that kind of pilgrimage if their food source didn't come back, ei vacations or other prolonged absence.Then I think they would travel as far as it took to find food,if they run out of energy they can go dormant until food finds them.That's the way most ticks operate,they don't crawl around town looking for a host but are prepared when one stumbles upon them.Happy new year

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 31 2007 23:04:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs aren't ticks.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,650 posts in 31,242 topics over 95 months by 13,515 of 17,226 members. Latest: xMakiMakix, sbm123, bedbugkiller999