Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

What to do when all the neighbors are infested???

(3 posts)
  1. ohdearohdear

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 27 2012 3:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been aware of the growing BB infestation around here (Los Angeles) for a long time. I've noticed the mattresses literally PILING up in the streets within a mile or two of my house. They've slowly crawled closer, and finally there are 3 houses on my block that are infested (two are not very near, and the newest is on the other side of my neighbor).

I'm curious what else I can do to prevent bringing the bugs home.

I'm in a stand-alone single family home. I don't walk the dogs around here. I don't walk around on the block. I don't go anywhere near the mattresses and furniture piled a few houses away.

I've wondered where the BBs go when people put their infested furniture outside. Do they stay in it and die, or do they wander off down the street? I've been under the impression they won't travel far? Is there any chance of them walking a few houses down and hanging out in my driveway or yard? Could they travel through neighbors' yards and into my backyard?

I'm becoming increasingly paranoid about this (didn't think that was possible). I worry the mailman will track them up onto my porch, or people parked on the street in front of my house will spread them into my yard. I watched my neighbor's children run across the street yesterday, where they flipped down an infested mattress and played on it for several hours before being called in for dinner. I can't believe the bugs are allowed to spread like they are. It's just not something people should have to worry about in this day and age...!

Any insightful advice on prevention would be greatly appreciated.

2. Man in Black

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 27 2012 7:59:47
    #

Login to Send PM

In my non professional opinion I don't think you have much to worry about unless you're bringing this discarded furniture into your home, which I doubt you're doing. With no host nearby, I believe BB's are content to hide in the cracks and crevasses until they smell a host - remember, they can live a long, long time (I've heard up to a year, but this may be corrected) without feeding.

Again, as long as you are cautious and aware, I think you'll be ok, but if it will ease your mind, spend $8 on a bag of DE and do an outside and inside perimeter treatment or go to town and do a full, thorough treatment - a little goes a long way with this stuff, and it may put your mind at ease.

MIB

3. MichelleBB

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 16 2012 13:44:11
    #

Login to Send PM

"BBs go when people put their infested furniture outside. Do they stay in it and die, or do they wander off down the street? "

They can walk as fast as an ant and can live for 18 months with no food. Contact the city about the mattresses.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.